Trying to decide on a clear coat?????

Covert_HydroFXCovert_HydroFX Posts: 155Member ✭✭✭
While the shop is coming together I still haven't decided on what clear coat I want to use. I will mostly be using NanoChem paints on my projects. I have considered using Matrix, NanoChem, and BB clears just so may options to choose from. The Matrix products I can get locally from an autobody supply house which is convenient if I was to run out on a job and need more in a pinch. I'm pretty sure NanoChem is the way to go for a flat clear. Mostly looking for a durable high gloss option for use on cups, helmets, automotive parts etc..

I have also been looking at the KBS line of clears KBS MAXX and Diamond any thoughts on them? They claim to be extremely tough and max uv resistant clears.

Comments

• WileECoyoteWileECoyote Posts: 6,697Member, Moderator, Business Ninja El Moderator
    Any of them make good products, you get what you pay for. Pick one that you can get get easily, and works in your budget, then learn to use it
  • Covert_HydroFXCovert_HydroFX Posts: 155Member ✭✭✭
    @WileECoyote not sure where my previous comment went but... It looks like the Matrix and KBS I can all get locally pending store inventory at the time. All of the mentioned options are relatively close in cost maybe an $80 difference between the cheapest and the most expensive of them. All of them can be purchased easily through the mail.

The KBS Diamond looks interesting as it is a one part clear, but appears to have a short shelf life once open. I know they make a paint saver additive to help extend the shelf life of it. Anyone have any experience with this? @MidOhioHydrographics ? The videos of them testing this stuff looks great from a durability stand point.
  • DeviousDipsDeviousDips Posts: 1,794Member ✭✭✭✭✭
    @Covert_HydroFX as far as durability ive used Tamco High impact and that clear is super tough. 
  • smedlinsmedlin Posts: 1,995Member, Business Ninja ✭✭✭✭✭
    For stuff like cups/etc.. BB's Express Clear.

I love that stuff. Dry's super super fast.
  • K2ConceptsK2Concepts Posts: 13,570Administrator El Jefe
    edited January 24
    NanoChem makes an excellent high gloss medium solid clear coat called 8100...you can put an extra coat on if you are worried about the sun...

Edit...sorry it's a "Wanda" product...still AksoNobel but not NanoChem...my bad...
  • onehitwonderonehitwonder Posts: 2,762Member, Business Ninja ✭✭✭✭✭
    We build a great line of clears. Check us out for comparable prices

https://www.ohwpaint.com/collections/clear-coats
    @K2Concepts Do you have any experience with the NanoChem Waterborne dead flat clear vs their standard dead flat clear?
  • MidOhioHydrographicsMidOhioHydrographics Posts: 9,632Member, Moderator, Business Ninja El Moderator
    We use both NanoChem Matte 0-1% Deet Resistant and also Prime Coatings Diamond Matte and both are great. Dead matte and super easy to spray. Cost is very similar, but it’s difficult to get Single gallons from Prime. They like to deal in larger volumes. 

I have tried NanoChem’s waterborne clear and it was pretty good. A little more glossy than what we wanted. 
    Thanks, Joe I figured you would chime in after shot..I know you dont do much high gloss work but do you have any thoughts there? @MidOhioHydrographics
  • MidOhioHydrographicsMidOhioHydrographics Posts: 9,632Member, Moderator, Business Ninja El Moderator
    Nope. No recommendations. LOL. I avoid gloss jobs like they have rabies.
  • K2ConceptsK2Concepts Posts: 13,570Administrator El Jefe
    @Covert_HydroFX Yea I have a case of the dead flat here...we love the stuff...

Nope. No recommendations. LOL. I avoid gloss jobs like they have rabies.

Well just send them to me then hahahaha
  • WileECoyoteWileECoyote Posts: 6,697Member, Moderator, Business Ninja El Moderator

You may not think that way after you lean how clean you have to keep you booth to avoid dust nibs, how much you have to spend on prefiltering your booth, and the amount of time you spend wetsanding and then purchase $500+ dollars in buffing equipment.

You may not think that way after you lean how clean you have to keep you booth to avoid dust nibs, how much you have to spend on prefiltering your booth, and the amount of time you spend wetsanding and then purchase $500+ dollars in buffing equipment.
    Exactly. And I already have all the tools and equipment. The time and labor is the biggest issue. Trying to run hundreds of parts of matte clear around gloss jobs just sets you up for accidents. Guess how it feels to bump a rack of parts into a pristine gloss part that was nearly finished. Now you have to sand out the screw up, then accidentally sand too deep into the film, then have to touch up, then.... you get the idea.

We found what we are good at and stuck to it. LOL
    @MidOhioHydrographics I can see your point from a production stand point. A decision I would love to have to make someday. But getting a bisiness off the ground ultimately doing custom one off pieces is where I will get my start so I need to plan for anything that comes through the door. 
    @Covert_HydroFX Unless you can draw actual custom work (high end "show material" type projects) it's a tough road. The guys off the street will expect perfection and will make you and every "tote" dipper in the area slit each others throats for every dime. Just what we have noticed here after 4 - 5 years... take it or leave it, it's still just free advice.
    @WileECoyote Just doing one off custom jobs is not the route I intend to stick with. At some point I would like to have some production contracts but just like everything you do, you have to start somewhere and get up and going doing something until you can get that production work through the door.