1.7 tip for clear?

bikerbeardbikerbeard Posts: 29Member
I know guns differ but generally what is everyone finding is the best tip/nozzle for shooting clear?  I'm currently using 1.7 and it works but if going smaller will make it better then.. .
Thanks all! 

Comments

• WileECoyoteWileECoyote Posts: 6,638Member, Moderator, Business Ninja El Moderator
    Tip size should be in relation to the parts that you are doing. You would use a 1.7 to paint a car. 1.5 for a motorcycle. 1-1.3 for yeti cups or things like that.
  • bikerbeardbikerbeard Posts: 29Member
    That's what I thought but heard some chatter about smaller tips laying down better clear so thought maybe I was missing something lol. Thanks! 
  • WileECoyoteWileECoyote Posts: 6,638Member, Moderator, Business Ninja El Moderator
    Laying down good clear has to do with fine atomization (more expensive guns atomize better) and how thick you can spray the clear without running. Basically that is it. There are about 20 factors that effect those things, but it all comes down to that.
  • K2ConceptsK2Concepts Posts: 13,495Administrator El Jefe
    I don't know anyone who uses a 1.7...and I know a LOT of car painters...but if it works for you? go for it...
    @K2Concepts Just trying to illustrate the purpose. All the car painters I know use a 1.5.
    @WileECoyote True...but to your point? Check the Data Sheets as they should tell you what tip size to use...regardless of how we are used to doing things...
    @K2Concepts You are absolutely right, But if people looked at the TDS then we wouldn't have NEARLY as many questions as we do... And what would we do with all our free time?
  • bikerbeardbikerbeard Posts: 29Member
    My apologies for taking up your time lol. I will refrain from asking questions in the future. Thanks
    I am a delicate flower. a 6'4" 250 pound delicate flower...
  • NotSoFastNotSoFast Posts: 3,319Member, Moderator El Moderator

And beer-drinking. You forgot beer-drinking delicate little flower.
    edited January 16
    NotSoFast said:

And beer-drinking. You forgot beer-SWILLING delicate little flower.
    Fixed it for you...Besides...that Milwaukee's BEAST doesn't really qualify as beer...that swill is worse than the garbage I drink...
    I was gonna let @NotSoFast get away with it... but since @K2Concepts has finally dragged himself out of the gutter and decided to join us. That's Riebe that drinks "The Beast", I stick with the hard stuff. I can't stand the taste of beer, so whiskey and rum are my go too's.
  • NotSoFastNotSoFast Posts: 3,319Member, Moderator El Moderator

I was gonna let @NotSoFast get away with it... but since @K2Concepts has finally dragged himself out of the gutter and decided to join us. That's Riebe that drinks "The Beast", I stick with the hard stuff. I can't stand the taste of beer, so whiskey and rum are my go too's.

My bad. I have only met you two at one training weekend three years ago. My sincerest apologies for the confusion. :s
    Like I said, i didn't mind when you said it @NotSoFast