Dipping AR magazines

norcalfranknorcalfrank Posts: 1,055Member ✭✭✭
I do lots of gun parts, but not magazines so much, I have some AR mags to do and have seen where some people dip the whole mag, and some only dip to the point where the go into the mag well. I would like to dip the whole mag, but don't want them to hang up in the mag well. Is this generally a problem, or will I not have an issue. I know some of you guys dip lots of mags. Thanks in advance.

Comments

• K2ConceptsK2Concepts Posts: 13,647Administrator El Jefe
    From what we have experienced? The clear coat scratches off and gets into the inner workings of the firearm...or just plain looks like hell after to is scratched off...
  • MidOhioHydrographicsMidOhioHydrographics Posts: 9,733Member, Moderator, Business Ninja El Moderator
    Yeah, what’s the reasoning for wanting them dipped?

We always tape at the mag-well line.
  • norcalfranknorcalfrank Posts: 1,055Member ✭✭✭

Yeah, what’s the reasoning for wanting them dipped?

We always tape at the mag-well line.

Im sponsoring a local shooter this year and he wants some done. Okay, I'll tape them off. Want them to look good.
  • MidOhioHydrographicsMidOhioHydrographics Posts: 9,733Member, Moderator, Business Ninja El Moderator
    I just meant why all the way up. No sense in risking it, I would say.
  • norcalfranknorcalfrank Posts: 1,055Member ✭✭✭

I just meant why all the way up. No sense in risking it, I would say.

I have just seen guys do it in the past. Some guns are so tight I can see where it could cause problems. Others I have seen it probably wouldnt have made a difference.
  • NotSoFastNotSoFast Posts: 3,334Member, Moderator El Moderator
    The full dips we have done have prevented the magazine from dropping out of the well. It had to be manually forced out. We only dip to the point where it enters the well now.
  • preedpreed Posts: 397Member ✭✭✭✭
    interesting.... i usually do the whole mag. been doing them close to 8 years... not once have i ever heard of a problem
  • LibertymanLibertyman Posts: 968Member, Business Ninja ✭✭✭✭
    You may get away with the steel mags( U.S. issued), but the plastic ones ( Magpul,Troy industries, etc), will hang up or may not even slide in/out properly. When you push that mag release button, you want that mag to drop right out, with no resistance. We always tape ours off. Never had any problems.