Film Is Breaking Up Too Fast

Mark78PMark78P Posts: 33Member
I'm currently working with a film from a vendor called Liquid Print, I've used several activators (Haviland Universal, CPA-DMP, TWN, Express Chem, etc.) and the problem I'm having is as soon as the film hit the water, almost immediately the film want to dissipate, giving the parts an almost "washed-out" appearance. Along with the different activators, I've tried various transfer speeds, turning off the heating rollers, doctor blade removal, different cylinders, by passed a few internal rollers, etc. and the film just continues to dissolve way faster than any film I've ever used. Looking for some help...... thanks in advance.

Comments

• K2ConceptsK2Concepts Posts: 13,435Administrator El Jefe
    Pics would help. Also what temperature is your water?
  • studebakerstudebaker Posts: 3,077Member, Business Ninja ✭✭✭✭✭
    Mark, your film has been in a humid environment for too long. It is essentially pre-hydrated! Dry your film AND lower the water temperature. Keep the heat rollers on and use all the rollers to give it time to dry out more before it hits the water. Use a hot (fast) activator and turn the speed up a little. But the most important thing is to get the film DRY with a 50% humidity level first.
  • Mark78PMark78P Posts: 33Member
    @K2Concepts the water temp is at our standard 90 degrees, this film seems to be printed on a different kind of material, its very thin, tears (even after sitting in a humid room) very easily. I'll get pictures shortly.
    @studebaker I've tried several rolls of film from this particular vendor, I've left them out in a humid room overnight, I've stored these films in our climate controlled storage area with the same results, the film is still "wet" on the cylinder and conveyor belt, the film once it touches the water (90 degrees) it dissipates very quickly.
    Mark, most film from any hydrographic film vendor is either printed in China or South Korea. Are you at liberty to tell us which pattern is giving this trouble? And how big is the roll? 100 meters, 50 meters?
    @studebaker this is printed in China, the film is printed from company called Liquid Image their is no name for the film/pattern, the roll is about 350-400 meters.
    Mark, Shirley at liquid Image prints most of our large volume films too... Knowing that, I am reaffirming that the film has too much humidity in it. I know you have indicated that you do store it in your film storage room so it shouldn't be over 50% humidity, but it is! Really and truly, that is the root cause of your problem.

found out the real root cause of this issue, the film was "wound" and the re-wound , thus resulting in a lot of tension, pattern issues, etc., so the real reason wasn't the activator I was using that was causing the film to break up.
    Thank you for letting us know! Now we have one more answer for all of us.