A resource for stickers to clear coat over

New guy here with my first discussion for here on the forum. Quick background, I am a gunsmith and a retail (B&M) firearms dealer. I ventured into hydro-dipping a few months ago and this place has been a great resource as well as many of the sponsors here. Thanks a lot.
I am doing a promotion where I am giving away a Hogg Thermos Mug for every new rifle stock dip customer - in a matching pattern, However I want to clear coat over the store logo on the mug, but my current vinyl stickers are too thick, .009". I have a Hornady sticker in the store that is .002" thick that I think would work. Does anyone know where I could find an outfit that does custom stickers like this. Please see picture. Thank you.

Comments

• SpinnerSpinner Posts: 201Member ✭✭✭
    @LTRDavid
    Welcome!

@studebaker is an ace at making waterslide decals. The are very thin so can be cleared over. And they are easy to apply on complex shapes.
    WSD's are not stickers and need to be buried under the clearcoat.
  • loochlooch Posts: 1,820Member ✭✭✭✭✭
    Welcome to the forum from nj and yes @studebaker is the man to see for that
  • LTRDavidLTRDavid Posts: 12Member
    Fantastic! "Water Slide Decal" is the key term for me. Thanks. I will research that technology. On the surface it appears I could acquire Laser Jet Water Decal Paper and print my own WSD's since I have the color laser printer and digital images. The question is how thick is the paper? Thanks again for the info Spinner.
  • DeviousDipsDeviousDips Posts: 1,821Member ✭✭✭✭✭
    @LTRDavid I have used waterslides and that would be the way to go. They are very thin and no problem clearing over. If you want to print your own just make sure your decal paper is correct and your printer will do the job . They are very easy to work with.  And as mentioned above studebaker can print you some as well.  He is a very talented dude. 
    edited November 2018

”...make sure your decal paper is correct and your printer will do the job...” 

Thanks for the affirmation Devious. I have a HP CP1215 Color Laserjet and a pack of the aforementioned clear & white WSD paper ordered, so I guess I’ll find out. Can you elaborate a bit more on what constitutes “correct paper” please?

Here is a pic of a rifle build and a matching mug with some other dip projects. I figured if I was going to give the mug away I may as well put an ad on it. Thanks for the input.

• studebakerstudebaker Posts: 3,185Member, Business Ninja ✭✭✭✭✭
    Thank you guys for mentioning me in this conversation! First off, waterslide decals are extremely thin and they can be buried under clearcoat with ALMOST no discernable "edge". It will take two coats with sanding between coat to make it fully disappear.

But here is a big caveat about water slide decals... If you are printing on clear waterslide material you will either need white ink or a white substrate. If you print on white waterslide you will need a way to cut the decal to the edge of the ink. And then you can't use transfer tape to keep separate letters spaced correctly (like used for vinyl lettering) because the transfer tape adhesive is stronger than the waterslide materials adhesive. It will pull right back off.

I highly recommend buying a waterslide pack from eBay and experimenting with it at home first to get a feel for what will and won't work for your project.
  • SreynoldsSreynolds Posts: 1,477Member ✭✭✭✭
    @LTRDavid , Is that a 6PPC, 30 BR , or what ? Looks good brother...
    edited December 2018
    @studebaker, Thanks for the input. I appreciate that.

re: "Is that a 6PPC, 30 BR , or what ?" Thanks it is a 30 BR. I just took a 6PPC out of the rinse tank. The free mug promo thing is working!
    Post edited by LTRDavid on
    @LTRDavid the correct decal paper I was reffering to is if you have a laser jet printer then u need laser jet decal paper. If you have ink jet printer then u use ink jet decal paper. They also have clear or white decal paper so depending the job which would be better to use. 
    edited December 2018
    OIC @DeviousDips. Thanks for the clarification. Just making sure I was not missing anything. :)
    Post edited by LTRDavid on
  • WileECoyoteWileECoyote Posts: 6,765Member, Moderator, Business Ninja El Moderator
    @LTRDavid Format the name like this, and it alerts you that you are talking to them.
    edited December 2018
    @WileECoyote Ok I did not know that. I appreciate it.
    Progress report, I received the WSD paper today and tried a logo decal on a cup I had in the shop. The decal measure .0008” thick. I can barely feel the edge on the cup. Next, I’ll do one of my giveaway mugs. I think this is going to work out.

LTR out
    Nice job. They work really well
    Thx @DeviousDips. I was surprised with how thin is the decal.
  • sullysully Posts: 3Member
    I'm new here, both to this forum and using waterslide decal paper. Purchased Royal Element Laser Waterslide Paper and have a laser jet printer. Practicing today, trying to figure out the processes and have a couple of questions/issues. How do you get the water out from under the decal without buckling the decal or having it move around? When the decal does buckle/bunch up and is straightened out the color shows signs of cracking. Any help is appreciated.
  • smedlinsmedlin Posts: 2,035Member, Business Ninja ✭✭✭✭✭
    sully said:

I'm new here, both to this forum and using waterslide decal paper. Purchased Royal Element Laser Waterslide Paper and have a laser jet printer. Practicing today, trying to figure out the processes and have a couple of questions/issues. How do you get the water out from under the decal without buckling the decal or having it move around? When the decal does buckle/bunch up and is straightened out the color shows signs of cracking. Any help is appreciated.

Lots and Lots of videos out there, showing how to apply water slides.

Is it water under the decal? Or is it an air bubble? I'm not sure how water can bunch up under the decal.
  • WileECoyoteWileECoyote Posts: 6,765Member, Moderator, Business Ninja El Moderator
    Squeege with some paper towel wrapped over the edge
    smedlin, the decal itself is bunching up as I try to reposition it. The decal is not moving around as a whole. When I smooth it out the design has "cracks" in the ink. I'm thinking the decal paper is too thin for what I'm doing or I need a heck of a lot more practice applying the decals.
    Use a spray bottle to apply water to the part to get the layer of water between the sticker and the part. If that layer is missing anywhere, it will stick in a place you don't want it to and bunch up or tear. Position the sticker with a VERY light touch in multiple spots on the sticker, being careful to move the sticker as a whole. You should move the sticker farther than you need to at first to make sure it is free enough to position, then fine tune the position. Start removing the water underneath with the squeegee working from the center outward in all directions like a star pattern.
    Thanks. Do you have a preference of decal paper (laser jet) you use, that you wouldn't mind sharing?
    I have the stickers made for me. I work on my process that I am paid to do, not trying to do everything myself. And when stickers don't work, I have someone to complain too, not giving up my time to try to fix that too.

Not trying to be sarcastic, just being honest. People get paid to do things for a reason... they are better at it than me, and I get paid to do the things that I specialize in.