A question about finishing the dipped item

DanielHowdenDanielHowden Posts: 3Member
Before I go ahead and start getting my gear together for dipping, I am just wondering what lacquer I can use over the film. I usually spray with cellulose as it is easy to get and I can mix it myself easily. But is the dipping film, once the item has been dipped, tolerant of cellulose or do I need to use a different lacquer?

Thanks, Daniel.

Comments

• WileECoyoteWileECoyote Posts: 6,520Member, Moderator, Business Ninja El Moderator
    Where are you located?
  • WileECoyoteWileECoyote Posts: 6,520Member, Moderator, Business Ninja El Moderator
    We typically only recommend paints and clears supplied by the forum sponsors, you would have to do your own testing to see if your particular products will work. Keep in mind we would need MUCH more information to even venture a guess as to what is going to happen. Lacquer and cellulose are very broad terms. Product names and TDS's would be a much better start
  • DanielHowdenDanielHowden Posts: 3Member
    Wow, tough answer.
    Sorry, I usually get carried away with the hard facts about the process and forget to be nice. As we tell everyone, this isn't as easy as it looks on YouTube. If you think you are going to get something to look awesome with $15 invested, you are going to be very disappointed. We usually say $15,000 for a bare bones hobby setup and $30,000 for a small production facility. If that is not what you are looking for, then your best bet is to take your items somewhere and get them dipped. It will be MUCH cheaper in the long run. If you are just looking for something to spend some time on that is interesting, you are more than welcome to play around, but understand that you may not get good looking parts, or ones that last in the learning period (sometimes up to a year of practice)
  • studebakerstudebaker Posts: 3,077Member, Business Ninja ✭✭✭✭✭
    @DanielHowden Yes, Clear lacquer is good enough as a topcoat over the ink that is left on the painted substrate. Essentially all that is left when you dip and rinse something with hydrographic film is dry ink arranged in a pleasing pattern! That is why you must clear coat to protect the ink from scratching off. Your only consideration is how your clear lacquer topcoat will react with you basecoat paint.

And no, the dry ink left by this process will NOT react with lacquer. It is inert. But too much runny paint can wash it away.... Just like any solvent.