business expansion.....literally. — K2Forums.com

Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

business expansion.....literally.

brutal_1brutal_1 Posts: 386Member, Moderator, Business Ninja El Moderator
edited January 2016 in Equipment

Never thought that my 60gal compressor would have any problems keeping up but, with a spray booth, activator gun, and buffing tools, it's time to expand air volume by piping this into the tired girl. Also moving the compressor to the other side of the wall because i'm sick of listening to it.
Post edited by K2Concepts on

Comments

• RBurressRBurress Posts: 1,553Member, Moderator, Business Ninja El Moderator
    Sweet, sounds like you have a good problem to deal with. Speaking of noise, I was at one of the rim shops were working with and in the back they had a compressor running that was inspiration!! It had a tank about the size you have there but you literally could not hear it running, it sounded like a sewing machine. Someday...
  • GCIGCI Posts: 1,320Member, Business Ninja ✭✭✭✭
    that is nice should take care of you problems there
  • K2ConceptsK2Concepts Posts: 13,084Administrator El Jefe
    Thought you were talking about your beer belly...rofl...
  • CoastalHydrographicsCoastalHydrographics Posts: 3,047Member ✭✭✭✭✭
    makes my year hearing about anyone in they hydro industry grow. Good for you @brutal_1
  • DallenDallen Posts: 1,704Member, Business Ninja ✭✭✭✭
    nice air tank and once plumbed in if you need more are you can bolt on a compressor and motor and incress air supply
  • HardeightHardeight Posts: 584Member ✭✭✭
    Not trying to be a Debbie Downer, but adding big expansion tanks to a compressor system is a fast track to killing the pump.

You might be able to work longer before the compressor kicks on, but the pump will just have to run that much longer to try and fill up the reserve.
    Running time = heat.
    Heat = water in your air and eventually pump death.

It will probably be OK for dipping and painting because the actual CFM requirements are pretty low, especially if you have a good gun.
    But air tools and blast cabinets are going to be murder on that compressor.
    Hard8 is correct...it's a bandaid for now though...time to up your game Reibe...15HP Ingersoll Rand is in your future...
  • LiquidImagingVaLiquidImagingVa Posts: 11Member
    Yea that will be a lot of work on your compressor. If you don't want to splurge on the 15th IR. You could get a second smaller cheaper one and just run them together. Auto shop next to me has that set up and they say it works great. Then if something would happen to one of them you still have the other to help you get by until you get the other back up
  • PearsonPearson Posts: 25Member
    That super quite one is a screw drive compressor they start at about 6000 but are wicked awesome.
  • TsunamiTsunami Posts: 4,952Member, Business Ninja ✭✭✭✭✭
    RBurress said:

Sweet, sounds like you have a good problem to deal with. Speaking of noise, I was at one of the rim shops were working with and in the back they had a compressor running that was inspiration!! It had a tank about the size you have there but you literally could not hear it running, it sounded like a sewing machine. Someday...

It might have been a rotary screw compressor. They have endless air and quiet. Very expensive new. Look for a used one. You wont be disappointed.
    If I am not mistaken? They tend to want to run all day...and that could get expensive...I could be wrong but that is what my sources told me when I was looking...
  • PearsonPearson Posts: 25Member
    Only if you have a small tank. But their cfm to horse power is double a piston type compressor and most come with a air drier built in.
  • MachinesUnlimitedMachinesUnlimited Posts: 196Member ✭✭
    I don't think it's that they tend to run all day. As it was built and designed for buildings that require constant air and different volumes all day. Most are off speed drives. If you only need some air, it barely runs. I'd love to have one. Maybe one day.
  • RBurressRBurress Posts: 1,553Member, Moderator, Business Ninja El Moderator
    That would be nice, looks like a supercharger is all. Jim, add another topic for DIY compressors..lol
  • MachinesUnlimitedMachinesUnlimited Posts: 196Member ✭✭
    edited May 2014
    We'll make a fiberglass compressor tank.... JK..
    Chuckleheads...and yes I may buy one...found some pretty incredible deals on them...but I love my 15hp compressor...it barely runs also...
  • WileECoyoteWileECoyote Posts: 6,166Member, Moderator, Business Ninja El Moderator
    @Hardeight You are correct, but kind of missed the point. Longer run time on the compressor does cause more wear... sort of. The constant start-up on the motor is what is avoided. Very rarely do compressor pumps go out in comparison to a motor going down. The compressor is rated for SCFM, and when you start constantly pushing the limit, you will eventually have to step up. The idea here is just to lengthen time between start ups. Eventually with an upgrade in compressor, the ballast tank will not go to waste. The high draw devices are used infrequently so this in an in between step.
  • HardeightHardeight Posts: 584Member ✭✭✭
    Depends on the use of the compressor. Under normal conditions, with a standard motor and standard use, the electrical parts are usually the first to fail.
    However, when running expansion tanks, and feeding hungry systems, keeping the compressor running longer will cause quick death to the pump, rather than the motor. I have killed plenty of pumps. Broken pistons, blown valves, exploded heads, you name it. I have yet to have a motor quit on me. So 6 in 1 half dozen in another. Personally, with my compressor graveyard, I have plenty of motors laying around if one were to ever go out. I imagine a motor would be cheaper to replace as well anyway.

Bottom line, if your compressor can't deliver your shops CFM requirements, you're on borrowed time. And nothing can ultimately change that aside from buying a better compressor.
  • WileECoyoteWileECoyote Posts: 6,166Member, Moderator, Business Ninja El Moderator
    You are absolutely right. Money is always tough, but skimping on your biggest asset is not the way to go.
    This is a GREAT thread...thank you guys for the in depth explanations...
  • jtagliajtaglia Posts: 2,281Member ✭✭✭✭✭
    brutal_1 said:

Never thought that my 60gal compressor would have any problems keeping up but, with a spray booth, activator gun, and buffing tools, it's time to expand air volume by piping this into the tired girl. Also moving the compressor to the other side of the wall because i'm sick of listening to it.

Cut the top off & have another tank. LOL

• onehitwonderonehitwonder Posts: 2,706Member, Business Ninja ✭✭✭✭✭
    screw is the way to go if you're serious. Used you may get a decent one for a grand