Webbing or Marble Gun Stock Finish

MidOhioHydrographicsMidOhioHydrographics Posts: 9,733Member, Moderator, Business Ninja El Moderator
So this is for the more experience painters out there. We have a manufacturer looking to do a more "budget friendly" finish on their firearms. They are a high-end AR manufacturer that we decorate for, and they want to make a more entry-level option, with a more entry-level-priced coating. They want it to replicate this style of web/marble stringy splatter effect. I've spoke with Trevor @WileECoyote about this, and they did something similar with a special thick, solvent based paint. I'd like to know if anyone has seen a way to replicate it using a "standard" paint, any gun tip size recommendations, etc. I'm going to do some experimenting and see what I come up with and share the results. Hopefully it'll help someone down the road. Anyone applied this sort of finish before? There are aerosols made by Krylon and "Montana Marble Effect" that look pretty good, actually. Just not conducive to a production type atmosphere.

Comments

• WileECoyoteWileECoyote Posts: 6,765Member, Moderator, Business Ninja El Moderator
    Can't wait to see what you come up with. This was my wheelhouse when I was working in the industry. Come up with a look, design a process and make it repeatable.
  • MidOhioHydrographicsMidOhioHydrographics Posts: 9,733Member, Moderator, Business Ninja El Moderator

Can't wait to see what you come up with. This was my wheelhouse when I was working in the industry. Come up with a look, design a process and make it repeatable.

I just told one of my new guys the same thing. He heard me cursing and saw my fumbling around w a new fixtures for holding some parts. I don't think he expected me to say that it was my favorite part of the job. Designing tooling/fixtures and making a plan for running 100's or even 1000's of a part repeatably.
  • mielkewaygraphicsmielkewaygraphics Posts: 194Member, Business Ninja ✭✭✭
    I thought Cerakote had a "hammer tone" type of coating for firearms? Maybe wrong but I saw a flyer on it somewhere. I believe it was air cure also.
    I use there powders and order stuff everyday... thought I saw it there..... ????