Hydro dipping Football boots

DavidMCDavidMC Posts: 5Member
Hi,
I'm new to hydro dipping and wanted to get some advice on activators. I plan on hydro dipping football boots with this film:https://www.hydrographicfilmsupplies.com/collections/cartoon-sticker-bomb-1/products/spiders-comic . But wasn't entirely sure what activator to use. I've been mainly looking at k2 brew. Preferably I'd like to use an aerosol because I'm only starting hydro dipping and don't have an air gun. Also if it helps there is a listing for it on ebay saying it is a thicker pva film: https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/spiderman-hydrographic-film-hydro-dipping-hydro-dipped-50cm-x-300cm/123471259535?hash=item1cbf75e78f:g:8doAAOSwxPNb4gT2:rk:1:pf:1 . And there are also some more images here https://wholesaler.alibaba.com/product-detail/Spider-Man-Film-hydrographic-Water-transfer_60798773955.html?spm=a2700.7782932.1998701000.6.53a955c4iohEUi .
Any help at all would be appreciated, Thank you

Comments

• WileECoyoteWileECoyote Posts: 6,481Member, Moderator, Business Ninja El Moderator
    You wont have much luck with an aerosol activator, they are inconsistent and don't atomize fine enough. If you insist on using an activator, throw a dart at the wall and pick one. You won't know how the film likes it till you spray it. You are going to need to go heavy because there is a lot of color in that film.

I wish you luck on your endeavor... This is not a cheap process. Hundreds of people that have tried to do it cheaply have failed... my advice is to find someone else to do it for you.
  • DavidMCDavidMC Posts: 5Member

You wont have much luck with an aerosol activator, they are inconsistent and don't atomize fine enough. If you insist on using an activator, throw a dart at the wall and pick one. You won't know how the film likes it till you spray it. You are going to need to go heavy because there is a lot of color in that film.

I wish you luck on your endeavor... This is not a cheap process. Hundreds of people that have tried to do it cheaply have failed... my advice is to find someone else to do it for you.

Thanks for the reply. I get what you're saying. I've seen various people do it on youtube: . So wanted to give it a go myself. I guess I'll just have to give it a go and hope everything goes well. Thanks for the advice, I appreciate it
  • WileECoyoteWileECoyote Posts: 6,481Member, Moderator, Business Ninja El Moderator
    Somehow I already knew the you had seen it on YouTube... Trust me, It's not as easy as they make it look. And before you waste the money on ruining a pair of shoes, ask the guy that posted that video what they look like a day later.

Somehow I already knew the you had seen it on YouTube... Trust me, It's not as easy as they make it look. And before you waste the money on ruining a pair of shoes, ask the guy that posted that video what they look like a day later.

Yeah, I see where you're coming from now. Another guy did play an actual game with them and they did last, but then again he used a very thin filament. I'll reconsider my options over the next couple days and see what I come up with.
    Thanks for the help
  • smedlinsmedlin Posts: 1,901Member, Business Ninja ✭✭✭✭✭
    I havn't seen that video.

i use to HATE those.. HATE them.

Now.. I LOVE them!

I WANT people exposed to hydro-graphics. And I WANT people to try this. I WANT people to know what hydro-grahpics is.. and that it's nothing like what you-tube makes it out to be.

Try it.

Other than some money, no harm in trying it. Maybe you will have good results. You just might.

I know THAT guy's results are not good.

Anybody with experience (most of the people on this forums).. his first dip.. we are like.. WTF?? I actually laughed out loud.

Every single one of his hits was very under-activated. Not a single one of those films was ready when he dipped. Not a one.

And looking at his finished product really close. Like pausing it and looking.. I don't think he rinsed off the PVA. I may be wrong.
    smedlin said:

I havn't seen that video.

i use to HATE those.. HATE them.

Now.. I LOVE them!

I WANT people exposed to hydro-graphics. And I WANT people to try this. I WANT people to know what hydro-grahpics is.. and that it's nothing like what you-tube makes it out to be.

Try it.

Other than some money, no harm in trying it. Maybe you will have good results. You just might.

I know THAT guy's results are not good.

Anybody with experience (most of the people on this forums).. his first dip.. we are like.. WTF?? I actually laughed out loud.

Every single one of his hits was very under-activated. Not a single one of those films was ready when he dipped. Not a one.

And looking at his finished product really close. Like pausing it and looking.. I don't think he rinsed off the PVA. I may be wrong.

Yeah. Even only after researching hydro dipping for a couple days I noticed he didn't rinse off the PVA. I've researched into hydro dipping extensively over the past week or so, so I'm hoping if I do try to go ahead with it, it'll work out better. I appreciate your help aswell

• NotSoFastNotSoFast Posts: 3,276Member, Moderator El Moderator
    On a side note, just because someone made a Youtube video doesn't mean anyone could reasonably be expected to replicate their results. Anyone can fail 100 times, edit those tries out and post the one that turned out good.
    NotSoFast said:

On a side note, just because someone made a Youtube video doesn't mean anyone could reasonably be expected to replicate their results. Anyone can fail 100 times, edit those tries out and post the one that turned out good.

That's very true to be honest. But by the looks of it (and their past videos they've done) I don't think they have a great experience in hydro dipping. I'll take my time researching some more and I'll keep everyone updated on what I find
  • SpinnerSpinner Posts: 174Member ✭✭✭
    And the thickness of the pva has nothing to do with the durability of the print on the finished product. The film thickness does have an impact on hydration time, the amount of activator, and the dwell time.