Suggestions for exhaust Shields?

Looking for some pointers on putting carbon fiber on exhaust Shields for a Harley Davidson. What will hold up to the heat the best as far as paint and top coatng?  And will I have trouble with the pattern itself burning away? Please don't say cerakote lol

Comments

• WileECoyoteWileECoyote Posts: 6,638Member, Moderator, Business Ninja El Moderator
    Paint typically holds up to about 400°. Print at your own peril, typically that doesn't take the heat that the paint will.
  • K2ConceptsK2Concepts Posts: 13,495Administrator El Jefe
    Grab a laser thermometer and check the temperature of the thing running...if the bike has a good map? Usually, there isn't a problem...
  • getemkustomsgetemkustoms Posts: 77Member ✭✭
    edited November 2018
    I have powder coated a watercraft waterbox "muffler" used a carbon fiber design, then top coated with glossy clear powder top coat with success. It will get close to 200*
  • High_Lakes_HydroHigh_Lakes_Hydro Posts: 111Member ✭✭✭
    Grab a laser thermometer and check the temperature of the thing running...
    But still, what paint are you using? Powder as well?
    Paint typically holds up to about 400°. Print at your own peril, typically that doesn't take the heat that the paint will.
    And are you talking just standard auto base? Thanks, bug help for sure
  • WileECoyoteWileECoyote Posts: 6,638Member, Moderator, Business Ninja El Moderator
    @BryanRohr Yeah, most paints you can get on the market are stable till then. That is 400°F not C
  • loochlooch Posts: 1,781Member ✭✭✭✭✭
    Ive used both paint and powdercoat i always put exhaust wrap around the pipe where it touches the shield 
    Good tip looch, won't be seen anyways. Why the hell have I not thought of that?

• mielkewaygraphicsmielkewaygraphics Posts: 192Member, Business Ninja ✭✭✭
    Also , if your customer doesn't like wrap, check out Cerakote ceramic coatings. They have a "glacier" series that is air cure and dissipates heat like a mad dog. I've coated a bunch of stuff with it and customers love it on headers. They tell me that on a race car they can change plugs after 10 minutes of cool down time after hot lapping or qualifying. I've put this coating on the underside of heat shields on harely's.
    I'm over Cerakote. I've been using it for years until just recently actually. Not impressed, especially for the price, in comparison with other products that have been suggested in the forum. Cerakote is more bark then bite when you're talking about their MC series air cures. P.S. This has only recently been my opinion. I'd had more issues in overall reliability than I had full success, so I ventured out of my comfort zone to learn a new product and I'm glad I did
  • PagesHydroDippingPagesHydroDipping Posts: 600Member ✭✭✭
    What's the new product @BryanRohr
  • MidOhioHydrographicsMidOhioHydrographics Posts: 9,542Member, Moderator, Business Ninja El Moderator
    BryanRohr said:

I'm over Cerakote. I've been using it for years until just recently actually. Not impressed, especially for the price, in comparison with other products that have been suggested in the forum. Cerakote is more bark then bite when you're talking about their MC series air cures. P.S. This has only recently been my opinion. I'd had more issues in overall reliability than I had full success, so I ventured out of my comfort zone to learn a new product and I'm glad I did

I’m a certified applicator and have actually found the same. Their marketing is fantastic, but it can be a problem. People think it’s invincible.
    Just my take... I love the glacier series "air cure" high temp coatings. It was just a suggestion. I'd rather stick rusty nails in my eye sockets than use any kind of "wrap" on exhaust parts. I had to "unwrap" a whole set of headers after about 6 months. The stuff started flaking off the headers in a "dust" every time the engine was running. We were driving around in the car itching our faces like we had frekin lice. The fiberglass filled the inside of the engine compartment and sucked into the engine through the air filters. Was a frekin mess. Never again. But....just my take. To each his own. I own a "coating" company so wraping anything is like asking a groomer to add alligators to their menu. :)
  • loochlooch Posts: 1,781Member ✭✭✭✭✭
    You just need to wrap the small spots that touch the headpipe not the entire pipe works good and cant be seen
    Well, we all own "coating" companies I suppose but dang son, what kind of wrap you using? I'm guessing the cheap stuff because I've never had an issue with the 3M fiberglass exhaust wraps. But good to know that could happen.
    BryanRohr said:

Well, we all own "coating" companies I suppose but dang son, what kind of wrap you using? I'm guessing the cheap stuff because I've never had an issue with the 3M fiberglass exhaust wraps. But good to know that could happen.

DEI header wrap. Full length headers on a twin supercharged SBC in a 71 Z. And if you own a "coating" company, "Son" why wouldn't you sell coatings? To me, anything "wraped" is like nails on a chalk board. Just my take.