Suggestions for exhaust Shields?

BryanRohrBryanRohr Posts: 101Member ✭✭✭
Looking for some pointers on putting carbon fiber on exhaust Shields for a Harley Davidson. What will hold up to the heat the best as far as paint and top coatng?  And will I have trouble with the pattern itself burning away? Please don't say cerakote lol

Comments

• WileECoyoteWileECoyote Posts: 6,481Member, Moderator, Business Ninja El Moderator
    Paint typically holds up to about 400°. Print at your own peril, typically that doesn't take the heat that the paint will.
  • K2ConceptsK2Concepts Posts: 13,380Administrator El Jefe
    Grab a laser thermometer and check the temperature of the thing running...if the bike has a good map? Usually, there isn't a problem...
  • getemkustomsgetemkustoms Posts: 73Member ✭✭
    edited November 1
    I have powder coated a watercraft waterbox "muffler" used a carbon fiber design, then top coated with glossy clear powder top coat with success. It will get close to 200*
  • BryanRohrBryanRohr Posts: 101Member ✭✭✭
    Grab a laser thermometer and check the temperature of the thing running...
    But still, what paint are you using? Powder as well?
    Paint typically holds up to about 400°. Print at your own peril, typically that doesn't take the heat that the paint will.
    And are you talking just standard auto base? Thanks, bug help for sure
  • WileECoyoteWileECoyote Posts: 6,481Member, Moderator, Business Ninja El Moderator
    @BryanRohr Yeah, most paints you can get on the market are stable till then. That is 400°F not C
  • loochlooch Posts: 1,743Member ✭✭✭✭✭
    Ive used both paint and powdercoat i always put exhaust wrap around the pipe where it touches the shield 
    Good tip looch, won't be seen anyways. Why the hell have I not thought of that?

• mielkewaygraphicsmielkewaygraphics Posts: 190Member, Business Ninja ✭✭✭
    Also , if your customer doesn't like wrap, check out Cerakote ceramic coatings. They have a "glacier" series that is air cure and dissipates heat like a mad dog. I've coated a bunch of stuff with it and customers love it on headers. They tell me that on a race car they can change plugs after 10 minutes of cool down time after hot lapping or qualifying. I've put this coating on the underside of heat shields on harely's.