Custom Nike shoes

ForsiForsi Posts: 235Member ✭✭✭
We have been doing quite a bit of shoe work and here is a pair of Nike AJ 1's that we did the digicamo pattern on. These were all black to start with so we used the black leather as the base coat in this case. Another satisfied customer...




Comments

  • PagesHydroDippingPagesHydroDipping Posts: 552Member ✭✭✭
    You are Dipping Straight to the leather?
  • ForsiForsi Posts: 235Member ✭✭✭
    @PagesHydroDipping yes I am...prep the leather and dip straight to it if no base coat paint is required for the look/pattern. Any of the fabric ones we have done don't require anything special prep-wise...
  • SingleAction52SingleAction52 Posts: 708Member, Business Ninja ✭✭✭
    edited October 25
    @Forsi, They look great..., are you taping off everything else?
  • ForsiForsi Posts: 235Member ✭✭✭
    @SingleAction52 thanks. And yes, lots of time to tape everything off and trim out the areas that get the graphics. The ones with full coverage certainly go a lot faster due to very little time required to tape and trim, but in this case with just doing accent areas there was quite a bit of time required to tape them off and trim them out to dip, then do it again to apply the leather sealer just over the dipped areas.
  • SingleAction52SingleAction52 Posts: 708Member, Business Ninja ✭✭✭
    @Forsi, I can see how that would be very time consuming but you did an excellent job. It looks so clean I was hoping you were going to say you had found a quick and simple way to protect the un-dipped areas.
  • studebakerstudebaker Posts: 3,050Member, Business Ninja ✭✭✭✭✭
    @SingleAction52 Every hydrographic decorator has liquid mask in stock whether they know it or not!

    It's as simple as collecting scrap hydrographic film and old film that you can't get to dip no matter what (cough, TWN cough).
    Gather it in a container and add water! What you are trying to do is make a "slurry" of PVA that has the viscosity of Elmer's Glue.
    Yes, it will be black from all the ink mixed in with it, but that will actually help you see where you are masking when you brush it on and let it dry. Or for the more adventurous maskers, you could mix it thinner and spray it through an airbrush. It will literally rinse off with the rest of the PVA in your rinse process.
  • ForsiForsi Posts: 235Member ✭✭✭
    @SingleAction52 I have dabbled in what @studebaker describes in his response and that works, but for higher end projects and higher $ shoe projects I take the time to mask and then hand trim the areas that will get the graphic to make absolute certain the lines will be clean and look like the shoes are from the factory. For some that haven't required as clean of lines I have done what Studebaker suggested and also tried some other quicker methods and they were definitely less time consuming, but the project also didn't require the precision either.
  • MidOhioHydrographicsMidOhioHydrographics Posts: 9,445Member, Moderator, Business Ninja El Moderator
    We have tried liquid mask and spraying it on, but wouldn’t you have to mask the areas where you don’t want liquid mask if you’re spraying? May as well just mask the areas you don’t want dipped... we tried the liquid mask on skull teeth. Tape is just as fast, maybe faster and comes off more cleanly.
  • HydrografikDKHydrografikDK Posts: 11Member
    Forsi said:

    We have been doing quite a bit of shoe work and here is a pair of Nike AJ 1's that we did the digicamo pattern on. These were all black to start with so we used the black leather as the base coat in this case. Another satisfied customer...




    Nice work mate :)

    How did u prep it ? we have problems with the adhesion if we not using a primer before we dip it?

    and we do shoes for a big global company
  • ForsiForsi Posts: 235Member ✭✭✭
    If you are doing leather you have to get the oil out of the leather first or it won't adhere properly. If you are painting make sure you are using a leather-compatible paint as well; and also make sure that leather-compatible paint is compatible with the hydrographic films.
  • HydrografikDKHydrografikDK Posts: 11Member
    Forsi said:

    If you are doing leather you have to get the oil out of the leather first or it won't adhere properly. If you are painting make sure you are using a leather-compatible paint as well; and also make sure that leather-compatible paint is compatible with the hydrographic films.

    We do not use any paint before we dip shoes. we just prep it and this sticking fine but i want this to adhere better if this is possible,


  • DeviousDipsDeviousDips Posts: 1,683Member ✭✭✭✭
    Ohw has a leather / vinyl paint now called Second Skin you u have access to OHW
  • HydrografikDKHydrografikDK Posts: 11Member
    I live in EU do u know if they send to Denmark? 😅
  • smedlinsmedlin Posts: 1,901Member, Business Ninja ✭✭✭✭✭

    Ohw has a leather / vinyl paint now called Second Skin you u have access to OHW

    I've never seen that on their web site. I've looked for it a few times.
  • DeviousDipsDeviousDips Posts: 1,683Member ✭✭✭✭
    @smedlin you have to email Kerri or Jason they haven't got it on the site yet
  • LICCLICC Posts: 182Member ✭✭✭
    Forsi said:

    @PagesHydroDipping yes I am...prep the leather and dip straight to it if no base coat paint is required for the look/pattern. Any of the fabric ones we have done don't require anything special prep-wise...

    So how exactly do you prep the leather? Are you using a top coat?
  • HydrografikDKHydrografikDK Posts: 11Member
    edited November 5
    LICC said:

    Forsi said:

    @PagesHydroDipping yes I am...prep the leather and dip straight to it if no base coat paint is required for the look/pattern. Any of the fabric ones we have done don't require anything special prep-wise...

    So how exactly do you prep the leather? Are you using a top coat?
    Forsi said:

    If you are doing leather you have to get the oil out of the leather first or it won't adhere properly. If you are painting make sure you are using a leather-compatible paint as well; and also make sure that leather-compatible paint is compatible with the hydrographic films.

    " Are you using a top coat?" ?? i would like to know to
  • ForsiForsi Posts: 235Member ✭✭✭
    For shoe leather use Acetone to remove oil from the leather; only on the areas you are applying a pattern to. For the finishing, top coat, you need to reseal the leather. I use an acrylic sealer that is made for leather and fabrics that provides waterproofing and durability, but allows the leather to still be flexible and function properly.
  • DeviousDipsDeviousDips Posts: 1,683Member ✭✭✭✭
    Angelus makes a good leather top coat that I've used. Gonna try OHW second skin here soon and will report back
  • HydrografikDKHydrografikDK Posts: 11Member
    Forsi said:

    For shoe leather use Acetone to remove oil from the leather; only on the areas you are applying a pattern to. For the finishing, top coat, you need to reseal the leather. I use an acrylic sealer that is made for leather and fabrics that provides waterproofing and durability, but allows the leather to still be flexible and function properly.

    Thanks you for the answer
Sign In or Register to comment.