North carolina gun dipping

Here in NC you dont have to have a ffl to sell long guns person to person. But cant find alot info on hydro dipping guns. Like if someone sees a gun ive hydro dipped and wants one of theres done for a price. Ive seen on other posts where everyone says to get a ffl license. Im not tryin start a big hydrographic business but if someone wanted there gun dipped and wanted to pay me i would hate turn away extra money. Hopefully someone here can help me with my question.

Comments

• PagesHydroDippingPagesHydroDipping Posts: 575Member ✭✭✭
    You need to have your ffl to dip guns period
    You can get yourself into a lot of trouble if you get caught. I've heard of plenty of people being shut down and paying high fines for Dipping guns without a license
  • CrazyDipperCrazyDipper Posts: 71Member
    Thanks for the info. Is dipping considered gunsmithing? What about if they take apart there on gun and give me just the stock to do? Only the receiver is a gun correct?
  • DeviousDipsDeviousDips Posts: 1,713Member ✭✭✭✭
    @CrazyDipper you can dip the stocks to guns. Your own personal guns you can do whatever u want to them 
    So if i buy long gun at flea market which is legal in north carolina person to person then dip gun and resale it it would be fine? I buy long guns now if there cheap enough and resale them. I dont sell pistols just long guns
    @CrazyDipper that I wouldn't know. @MidOhioHydrographics might be able to explain how it works better. He has his ffl and his operation was built around dipping guns so he will chime in prolly tomo morning and could maybe explain how the resell works
    Yes you can dip a stock. Nothing with a serial number. When a gun is dropped off with you, you have to sign the gun over to your shop. Then when the customer comes to pick it up you then need to sign it back over to them.
  • WileECoyoteWileECoyote Posts: 6,537Member, Moderator, Business Ninja El Moderator
    It's like $200 to get your FFL. Stop poking the bear and get it. It ain't worth it to get caught.
    It was just a hypothetical question just wanted know what legalities was like i said i can buy long guns in north carolina and resale them with no problems or worry of trouble its a very gun friendly state just didnt know if dipping was gunsmithing
    Their are alot of laws of altering a gun. I would definitely look into it 
  • NotSoFastNotSoFast Posts: 3,288Member, Moderator El Moderator
    Call your local branch of the ATF. They can give you all of the info that pertains to your personal situation.
  • MidOhioHydrographicsMidOhioHydrographics Posts: 9,475Member, Moderator, Business Ninja El Moderator

So if i buy long gun at flea market which is legal in north carolina person to person then dip gun and resale it it would be fine? I buy long guns now if there cheap enough and resale them. I dont sell pistols just long guns

If you are "in business" of selling or modifying firearms, you need an FFL. Yes, you are correct that it is legal to buy and sell firearms person to person, with no background check or other documentation. But also remember that if you sell a firearm to a felon? You are going to prison and can be held liable if they use it to commit a crime. It's called "Negligent Entrustment of a Firearm" or something similar. I can also be held liable if I had reason to believe the person was going to commit a crime, or was committing a straw purchase and still sell them the firearm (even with a clean NICS check).

Under federal law, it is perfectly legal to buy/sell any firearm person-to-person (My buddy is selling a pistol/rifle, and I give him $$ for it) without any documentation or 3rd party required for a background check. Some states require a background check for person-to-person transfers. Ohio does not, on any firearm. But I couldn't risk selling a firearm to a stranger, and they commit a crime. A felony on my record would be extremely detrimental to my future in the firearm industry.

The bottom line is, you're dabbling in something that can land you in prison, and I would cover my **badword**. "I read on the internet that it's legal!" will not be a solid court defense. FFL's are not that expensive. The only problem you may have is with local codes and where your firearms business would be located. Some counties or cities do not allow it, or won't allow a "home based" firearm business.

To take possession of a customer's firearm (serial numbered part) and modify it for money, you need your FFL. Don't mess around and try and hide it. Perfect example of why.... The ATF visited the owner of T1S Graphics (look them up on facebook, and message Blake Winter's if you're curious as to his advice on the situation). I think he has a video up about the visit. He was posting his work online, they saw it, and came knocking. They could have tore him a new orifice, but they didn't. It could have been really bad. AND he was working in conjunction with a gun shop that had an FFL, but he did not and was doing the work.

If you're doing business with firearms, get your FFL and know the laws. It's a very easy process. Call and talk to your local agent, let them know your plans, and fill out the application. They'll come do an interview (they're super nice, from my experience) and go over everything with you.
    Thanks for all the advice thats why i asked question here cause i knew yall great people would be able to help
  • WileECoyoteWileECoyote Posts: 6,537Member, Moderator, Business Ninja El Moderator
    As many times as we have been told that "This is legal in whatever state, and I am only going to do this so it's ok"... I don't hear much about the guys that were smarter than everyone else including the government. Must be a coincidence.
    I like that you guys are straight forward with yalls answers. Thats what this world needs is less [email protected]&> I will be looking into getting my ffl and ill probably go for level 7 to cover little bit more of my own butt thanls alpt guys and im sure ill have more questions about other stuff in future and know ill get a straight answer
  • MidOhioHydrographicsMidOhioHydrographics Posts: 9,475Member, Moderator, Business Ninja El Moderator
    edited October 8
    I have my 07 Manufacturers license also. Be careful. There is an extra report you must file annually to document your manufacturing for that year. Mine is always 0, but you still have to submit. Also, if you do manufacture anything (manufacturing is more broad than you think) you fall into other regulations which include ITAR registration, manufacturers ID marks on the firearm, etc. Just have a clear and honest discussion with the ATF agent.
    Post edited by MidOhioHydrographics on
    Once again thinks alot guys i will deffently be talkin to local offiacls and find all the details i need for my area then ill know which way i need to go
    I learned all my remodeling skills from workin with people who knew what they was doin so it only makea since to learn a new skill i need learn from people who have done it thata why im here askin questions and you people here know your skills so there you go thanls alot
    I am here in Nc and after talking with ATF class 1 is all I needed. Which covers me to dip/ coat, store, buy, sale and transfer
    I think it cost me $200 and about a month start to finish. Not bad to make sure I'm covered
    I do all my on gunsmithing and reason i would want class 7 if i go for it is so if someone needs some springs replaced or wants a trigger pull adjusted or an ar built for them custom to what they want i would be covered on that as well but im gonna have just talk with atf and see what option will be best for me buts its good to know from someone else in nc what is envolved so once again thanks alot for the knowledge
    No problem. Yeah just talk to them and explain exactly what you are trying to do. Last thing you want is to get caught up in a grey area. Are you inside city limits? When I applied for my home based ffl the agent that came out told me it was harder to get if your inside city limits.
    No city limit within 20 miles of me really the middle of no where but we did just get a family dollar about 5 miles up the road it was big news lol