How is this achieved?

Militant83Militant83 Posts: 110Member ✭✭

How is something like this achieved, is it a double dip or a small custom film? I have yet to see a film that one could achieve this with so I am assuming it is a custom printed film. I am more interested in the concept of having a background and one logo or picture on the cup vs a pattern logos or images rather than the actual film used in this picture. Or is the logo a UV printed logo?

Comments

• DeviousDipsDeviousDips Posts: 1,651Member ✭✭✭✭
    edited October 7
    This isn't hydrographics but you could achieve the same with a dip and stencils for airbrush. I would say this cup in the pic is sublimation. Doing waterslide is another way to get this desired affect. 
    Post edited by DeviousDips on
  • Militant83Militant83 Posts: 110Member ✭✭
    They are advertising these cups as being hydrodipped. I could see the diamondplate pattern being dipped, but the skull looked like it was done by something like a uv printer or sublimation like you mentioned. So maybe using a combination of techniques?
    I honestly don't even think the diamond plate is dipped. It's possible but I would bet the whole cup is done with sublimation. I'm not sure if you can do the uv printing or sublimation over hydrographics. Thats a good question. 
  • dodevildodevil Posts: 75Member
    That is a Chinese yeti, in look at all the other they offer and they have a seam so probably its dipped with a custom sized film.
    Maybe sublimation from china but not hydrographics. 
    I honestly don't even think the diamond plate is dipped. It's possible but I would bet the whole cup is done with sublimation. I'm not sure if you can do the uv printing or sublimation over hydrographics. Thats a good question. 
    I would assume sublimation could be done over hydro as long as the paint and film could hold up to the heat used which I believe is around 400-405 degrees. I thought Inhad seen some cups at @MidOhioHydrographics that were dipped with a uv printed logo on them, but I could be mistaken. 
    @Militant83 I know joe has a vinyl plotter so maybe it was vinyl over the dip. I could be mistaken but I don't think he has a UV printer. 
    @DeviousDips no he had mentioned he had a local company do the logo work on them it was not vinyl. Pretty sure he said it was uv. 
    Oh ok. That's cool. I would love to have an uv printer
    big money in one of those
  • MidOhioHydrographicsMidOhioHydrographics Posts: 9,404Member, Moderator, Business Ninja El Moderator
    Yeah it was UV printing. This is still an ongoing experiment. The first ones we did had some adhesion issues w/ the UV printing.