adhesion

When you guys are painting AR 15 magazines how do you prep them? I put mine in the sandblaster cleaned digressed and painted. When I dipped it looked good out of the tank as soon as I put in the rinse tank all of my paint came off I had no adhesion at all. using new OHW white paint on a metal magazine.

Comments

• WileECoyoteWileECoyote Posts: 6,537Member, Moderator, Business Ninja El Moderator
    So you sandblasted first? (taking the oil off and contaminating your media). Once you were down to "clean" metal, then you contaminated it with some sort of cleaner and degreaser?

All joking aside, if that is how you did it, you just have your steps out of order
  • PagesHydroDippingPagesHydroDipping Posts: 575Member ✭✭✭
    Wash, degrease, wash again, blast, then we wipe clean with alcohol
  • SreynoldsSreynolds Posts: 1,419Member ✭✭✭✭
    ALL the paint came off???? pics would really help here
  • smedlinsmedlin Posts: 1,920Member, Business Ninja ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited September 20
    Sreynolds said:

ALL the paint came off???? pics would really help here

yea, gotta see pictures.
  • SreynoldsSreynolds Posts: 1,419Member ✭✭✭✭
    What @WileECoyote and @PagesHydroDipping said is spot on no doubt !!!! BUT.... he said all the paint came off after the dip in the rinse... I can see bits and pieces coming off, not all of it tho!
  • MidOhioHydrographicsMidOhioHydrographics Posts: 9,475Member, Moderator, Business Ninja El Moderator
    If all the paint came off, it's most likely severely over activated
  • peck1988peck1988 Posts: 43Member
    I will start cleaning before I sandblast. It could have been over activated I put down a second pass because I thought I was under activating. If it is because of the way I cleaned it what do I need to do to fix it?
  • MidOhioHydrographicsMidOhioHydrographics Posts: 9,475Member, Moderator, Business Ninja El Moderator
    That is blasted??? It’s still black... what media and pressure are you using? That is not near prepped enough.
    I was thinking that my other parts looked good but the magazine's did not seem to get very rough on the surface. That's why I asked how you guys perp. I will go back and reperp and see what I can do. Might just hand sand and see if its better. Thanks for all the help. I will post more pic's on Saturday of the second attempt 
    edited September 20
    Yeah that doesn’t look blasted. Should be bare steel. And a consistent blasted profile.
  • WileECoyoteWileECoyote Posts: 6,537Member, Moderator, Business Ninja El Moderator
    Hand sanding is going to be tough with that surface. If you have a sand blaster, that is best... but something is wrong with your technique. Either you are out of material, or your material is not aggressive enough or something.
  • onehitwonderonehitwonder Posts: 2,749Member, Business Ninja ✭✭✭✭✭
    Degrease with a solvent degreaser, then get into it with 400 grit if you can’t find a blaster. If you’re still having issues, hit me up on 305-318-1468
    Thanks guys.  Got the blaster fixed turned out good. 
    Looks great!