WHAT'S THIS PAINT DOING? — K2Forums.com

Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

WHAT'S THIS PAINT DOING?

CoastalHydrographicsCoastalHydrographics Posts: 3,047Member ✭✭✭✭✭
This is my first time using this paint.Its d.t.p u.s paint & reducer with a 2.1 mix.Well thats how i mixed it but when i went to spray it little tiny nibs of paint started floating/falling all inside the paint booth.It was coming out the gun like that. like tiny thin short hair strips landing all over the place.I've never seen this before in the past so i have no clue whats going on here.I mixed it 2.1,23psi I know i did something wrong..just don't know what?? I purchased this paint in dec/2013 when i took training and really don't like it.lol

Comments

• GCIGCI Posts: 1,317Member, Business Ninja ✭✭✭✭
    I have had that happen with me as well with some etching primer. I just remixed a batch and started working again. So I'm not sure if it was not mixed well enough with the hardener, not enough or what but when I redid all the steps it worked the second time.
  • K2ConceptsK2Concepts Posts: 12,466Administrator El Jefe
    Throw it out and try it again...double check your process...hopefully you can just write it off to the bear getting YOU today...
  • onehitwonderonehitwonder Posts: 2,615Member, Business Ninja ✭✭✭✭✭
    how long before you sprayed it did you mix it?
  • CoastalHydrographicsCoastalHydrographics Posts: 3,047Member ✭✭✭✭✭

how long before you sprayed it did you mix it?

no more than 3min.
  • DallenDallen Posts: 1,657Member, Business Ninja ✭✭✭✭
    kinda sounds like it started to jell on you was the paint real cold when you mixed it
    Dallen said:

kinda sounds like it started to jell on you was the paint real cold when you mixed it

around 68/70
    did it say mix 2 to 1 a lot of base coats use a 1 to 1 you might try that
    Dallen said:

did it say mix 2 to 1 a lot of base coats use a 1 to 1 you might try that

Thats exactly what i'm going to do @Dallen.I will keep you informed.thanks
    That was it @Dallen i mixed 1 to 1 came out perfect. Wish i would have taken a pick it was crazy with stuff floating all in the booth. thanks for the help bro.
    cool glad that worked
  • pokeyh2opokeyh2o Posts: 76Member, Business Ninja
    When using a 1\1 solvent base is it OK to premix and store it ready to be used or there is a pot life? Thx
  • TsunamiTsunami Posts: 4,951Member, Business Ninja ✭✭✭✭✭
    Once you mix the catalyst in, it is starting it's reation. Check your spec sheet to find out your pot life. Thats all the time you have.
    pokeyh2o said:

When using a 1\1 solvent base is it OK to premix and store it ready to be used or there is a pot life? Thx

• onehitwonderonehitwonder Posts: 2,615Member, Business Ninja ✭✭✭✭✭
    Pot life of no more than 8 hours
  • airtimegrafixairtimegrafix Posts: 2,087Member ✭✭✭✭
    that's what the dupli color paint does if you don't add enough reducer!!
  • WileECoyoteWileECoyote Posts: 5,672Member, Moderator, Business Ninja El Moderator
    If you like making substandard hockey pucks that leave pretty trails behind them... 

Sprayable potlife and listed potlife are vastly different. Some paints are basically useless after 30 minutes although still liquid.
  • TsunamiTsunami Posts: 4,951Member, Business Ninja ✭✭✭✭✭

If you like making substandard hockey pucks that leave pretty trails behind them... 

Sprayable potlife and listed potlife are vastly different. Some paints are basically useless after 30 minutes although still liquid.

How do you know when it's garbage?
  • WileECoyoteWileECoyote Posts: 5,672Member, Moderator, Business Ninja El Moderator
    Tsunami said:

How do you know when it's garbage?
    With 2k paints its just feel, you start to spray it and its going to be "orange peely" it isnt going to flow out as you lay it down. The solvents are there, but the build is off. The trouble you are having with your clear is essentially the same issue, I am gonna compare it to how you read your film while activating. We are gonna spend a lot of time in the booth looking at clear being sprayed so you can learn to see it. Once you do (same as with the activator) the lights go on, the angels start singing, and little birds help you get dressed in the morning...

Enjoy that image of Dave everyone.
  • Audiofreak19Audiofreak19 Posts: 280Member ✭✭
    @CoastalHydrographics can you take a picture of the little strands that were coming out. I know you found the issue with it I just want to see what the strands look like because an old school painting trick called webbing where you would not reduce the paint all the way and when you sprayed your part it looked like spider webbing that was shooting out of the gun to give the part a custome spider webbing effect. The problem is most of the time back in the day the paint that you had to use was laquer paints I believe which they don't make anymore so the effect slowly died off and I'm just wondering if the type of paint you were using could achieve that look from the way you were describing it. 
    @Audiofreak19 that happened over a year ago but it kind of sounds like what your talking about. It was thin little pieces falling all over the place. What was coming out was actually dry not wet. I took the advice @Dallen gave me and everything was fine. I wish I had taken picks thow cause it was like I was using a novelty gun at a party. lol @Dallen might know what your talking about.
    @CoastalHydrographics ;Yea that sounds about right. Here is an example of what it looks like. 

edited September 2015

@CoastalHydrographics ;Yea that sounds about right. Here is an example of what it looks like. 

That's it @Audiofreak19. That's just what it looked like. Its crazy how cool it came out to look in this video but that's exactly how it looked. Thanks for the education on this man. I'm sure others will find this useful as well.
    @Audiofreak19 I mentioned this before in this forum someplace, but I used a Sherwin Williams product called "Polane" it is a polyurethane enamel that you can spray to a textured finish. I used it on some office furniture I made. Looked very similar to that way that laid down.
    ahh ok cool. Yea I tried experimenting when I was in Autobody class with different kinds of paints to get that textured finish. But I couldn't find the right kind of paint that would spray out like that. Thanks