So it has begun...

Militant83Militant83 Posts: 126Member ✭✭
Well guys it has begun. After not being able to make a deal work logistically, I happend to find a deal only 1.5 hours from me on craigslist. 

Here are a coulple pics of the equipment placed in the garage. Im still trying to figure out the exact layout I want.  8’ Liquid Print tank with a @K2Concepts style rinse station. The rjnse station is only tempoary until I get or build something better. This deal also came with a lot of films, paints, and activator. I will use this thread to document my shop as it comes along and update accordingly. Unfortunately I may not have room for the new bench top @Pahydrographics tank that should be done soon. So that may be up for sale, not sure yet. 

Comments

• MidOhioHydrographicsMidOhioHydrographics Posts: 9,468Member, Moderator, Business Ninja El Moderator
    I think that setup will treat you very well!
  • Militant83Militant83 Posts: 126Member ✭✭
    edited September 16
    Joe @MidOhioHydrographics I just figured Id copy you hahaha, just kidding. It definitely is a good starting point I believe. I still have a lot ore work ahead of me before it starts to get cold. I have to insulate the rood and gable ends of the shop and put heaters in. That wood burner need to go as well.
  • K2ConceptsK2Concepts Posts: 13,437Administrator El Jefe
    Looks like a good start...yea shipping on tanks has always been the downside to selling them...

Finally got some time away from work to get this thing mostly up. Still have to put the exhaust fan on and finish the filter bank.
    Do yourself a favor and hard wire in all the boxes...plug in cords are only going to heat up and possibly melt...ask me how I know?...
    @K2Concepts will do thanks for the advice
  • MidOhioHydrographicsMidOhioHydrographics Posts: 9,468Member, Moderator, Business Ninja El Moderator

Do yourself a favor and hard wire in all the boxes...plug in cords are only going to heat up and possibly melt...ask me how I know?...

I've learned this the hard way... find a local electrical supply store. Typically the big box stores don't carry large disconnects. By code you will need a disconnect at the wall just before the piece of machinery.
    Something like this:
    https://www.zoro.com/square-d-safety-switch-240vac-2pst-30-amps-ac-d211n/i/G1454537/

Remember electrical work is not something to take lightly. Know how to size your wire to your amperage draw and use appropriate breakers and disconnects. If this all sounds scary? Hire someone to do it, or find a buddy with the knowledge.
    @MidOhioHydrographics I've got a buddy that is an electrician that does any work for me aside from wiring a simple outlet.
    Joe @MidOhioHydrographics, are using the disconnect as the main on off for the booth or just an safetey disconnect?
  • WileECoyoteWileECoyote Posts: 6,527Member, Moderator, Business Ninja El Moderator
    That is a safety disconnect at the wall. You still need an MSR.
    @WileECoyote Thank you sir, that is what I had thought.
    Correct. Just as a disconnect. We still have a control box.
    @MidOhioHydrographics @WileECoyote Is there any certain switch or control box that I should need? It came with an old Allen Bradley switch box for the exhaust fan and a standard residential light switch for the lighting.

@MidOhioHydrographics @WileECoyote Is there any certain switch or control box that I should need? It came with an old Allen Bradley switch box for the exhaust fan and a standard residential light switch for the lighting.

Are you wanting it to just work or pass inspection? LOL

By code here in Mansfield we need some things that a simple switch won’t do. For example, an air solenoid must cut the air flow to the booth when the booth is off. We also have magnetic switches in the lights that won’t allow the booth to turn on unless the vapor tight covers are properly installed.
    edited October 1
    @MidOhioHydrographics somethings im trying to do to code just to do it out of a safety principle..but in reality there is nothing to spec about my home setup and would never be able to get it to "inspection level operation" Eventually I will be able to have a dedicated business location outside of my home or at least a dedicated shop location on my property and have everything to code for inspection. So I guess if it is an easy an inexpensive option to do the switches properly then I don't see why I wouldn't do it. But I wouldn't even know what to look for even if I wanted to set my booth up the way you had mentioned.

Do you know if those lights in my booth take a special bulb or just any bulb?

It is good to have buddies though, My electrical guy also works for a fire safety company and hooked me up with an automatic extinguisher for my booth for free. I should have all the electrical going in this week for the booth and tank.
  • WileECoyoteWileECoyote Posts: 6,527Member, Moderator, Business Ninja El Moderator
    That old AB switch is probably the control for the MSR, or it might be a combined unit, but I wouldn't know without looking at it. The interlock with the air and the exhaust is a simple airflow switch controlling a solenoid. The mag switches are internal to the fixture, if they are not already there, I wouldn't worry about them, just make sure you close up your lights when you change the bulbs. Cant see the fixture or the bulbs in the picture to be able to tell if they are accessible from inside anyway (some are not, so they don't require the interlock). The bulbs we used were Rapid Start CW HO 5000K. If the sockets are T12 you can swap the bulbs for T8's which are still made, but I wouldn't go with LED's
    @WileECoyote you can see one of the fixtures in the above pic. They are a globe style light with the screw in bulbs rather than the panel style.
    Mag starters are awesome but expensive...we got our manufacturer to throw them in but took 3 years to stop and get them installed...now that they are in? I was stupid to go without them...and we just installed a Mars Air Curtain switch to kill the fan when we open the doors...you may or may not need it...but we did when we went legal...
    Sorry. I didn't even see it there in the shadow. Honestly, that is the worst kind of light to have in a booth. It puts a pinpoint on your part and that is no good for looking at defects. You need bands of light that only come from florescent.
  • NotSoFastNotSoFast Posts: 3,285Member, Moderator El Moderator

Sorry. I didn't even see it there in the shadow. Honestly, that is the worst kind of light to have in a booth. It puts a pinpoint on your part and that is no good for looking at defects. You need bands of light that only come from florescent.

I know your dislike of LED strips, but we have them and put a strip of "frosted glass" vinyl over them so it's not a bunch of pinpoint lights reflecting off the parts. It's a solid line of light like florescents. Very bright, instant on, no flickering, and will last nearly forever.
    @NotSoFast I always figured they would eventually get to that point. They just weren't to that point when we looked at them.

While they may not be ideal they are what I have so they will have to work. There is also a spot towards the front of the booth to install a panel style light. I just do not have one yet. I also have some enclosed LED light bars that I could do something with as well for some additional lighting.
    edited October 24

Getting closer, got the tank filled and warming up. I will hopefully be doing my first dip ever tomorrow. I did find that I need to shim one corner of the tank due to the garage floor being off slightly. 
    Yep. That's why most manufactured tanks come with adjustable feet. Looking good!
    Yeah, I have the legs on this one adjusted the best I could get it, but a couple of the legs dont screw in as fars as the others for some reason so im sure I can fix it with a shim. I have some small scrap metal plates that should work.

I can now officially say ive dipped my first part. Deffinitely not great by any stretch of the imagination. Now it is time to get some formal training. Playing around with the processes is fun, but like many have said not easy. I will continue to play with the old paints and films that came with my setup to at least give me some sort of experience prior to formal training. 
    Make sure you attend a "good" formal training class. Trust me, not all of them are the same. Some are even just glorified sales pitches for their products.
    @NotSoFast I'm leaning towards the Big Brain Platinum course..it seems to be the closest to me of the best classes that I have seen recommended on here.

@NotSoFast I'm leaning towards the Big Brain Platinum course..it seems to be the closest to me of the best classes that I have seen recommended on here.

Sounds good to me. I have not heard anything negative about any aspect of their business, including their training program. We have used them to purchase materials, but not their training as they were not offering it just yet when we required training.