Too much activator? I think noobie

magicmagic Posts: 71Member
Hi everyone.  Been  dipping  a few weeks.  Based on some feedback,  it was suggested  i go up to a 1.8 needle  and tip. 
I use a devilbiss slg 620. 1.3 tip.

So tonight i tried 1.8   two passes of activator  the print ran off and looks a mess. 
Tried again  with only one pass.  Pretty much  the same.     Im guessing  overactivated.

Never had any problems with my 1.3, think ill go back to it 

Comments

• PagesHydroDippingPagesHydroDipping Posts: 541Member ✭✭✭
    Yes that is over activated. You have to learn to read your film. All films are different and require different amounts of activator. Just enough to get it glass out. No more no less. Put a good light above your tank so you can see. Your technique has a lot to do with it. I hardly ever put down 2 passes. Some thick heavy ink films i will but normally i just slow my pass down and still hit it in one. Learn how to read your film get your gun dialed in and practice your technique over and over till its muscle memory
  • magicmagic Posts: 71Member
    Thanks @PagesHydroDipping,  nice to  know its was what i thought. Had my gun set perfect but decided to change  to 1.8needle and tip based on advice on the forum. 

Heres my fender before i changed things
  • PagesHydroDippingPagesHydroDipping Posts: 541Member ✭✭✭
    Yoi can use a 1.8 if you want. You just have to change your technique a little. Speed your pass up a little. Then take a good look at the film before you lay a 2nd pass. If you still see texture then do another. Just be careful, if its just a little grainy then make your 2nd pass faster if it still has a lot of texture then do a normal pass. Really it comes down to reading your film. Once you have learned how to read your film the rest will start to fall in place
    edited August 10
    this is what i achieve  before i changed  my set up. Going back to  1.3 for sure. Thank you for your help 
    @PagesHydroDipping   ordered my gpi gun from @AquaGraphix can't wait.  Onwards and upwards.  Thank you  guys and girls 
  • smedlinsmedlin Posts: 1,880Member, Business Ninja ✭✭✭✭✭
    When i went from a 1.4 tip to a 1.8 tip, I had a bit of trouble at first.

Once I got use to it though, I found my dips to be more consistent.

It may sound weird, but the bigger tip gave me more control of the spray.
  • DeviousDipsDeviousDips Posts: 1,648Member ✭✭✭✭
    I agree with @smedlin. It seems as if the 1.4 takes more of a technique than the 1.8
    Thanks for the advice   , will  keep trying  and learning 
    Gpi devilbiss   the true god of activator  guns.. love it
  • BigCountryHydroBigCountryHydro Posts: 146Member ✭✭✭
     Yep, they are pretty awesome.