Wallpaper film technique?

W3GW3G Posts: 39Member ✭✭
Has anyone ever had success using a wallpaper type application to decorate large items? Activating the film and then laying it onto the part without the tank...

Comments

• PagesHydroDippingPagesHydroDipping Posts: 575Member ✭✭✭
    How would you hydrate the film? No can't be done
  • W3GW3G Posts: 39Member ✭✭
    Can't never could do nothin...  

• MidOhioHydrographicsMidOhioHydrographics Posts: 9,475Member, Moderator, Business Ninja El Moderator
    I see what you mean... The ink would be "activated" and somewhat liquified, then you press it onto the item like applying a vinyl wrap or wallpaper.... In theory you will transfer some ink, but the quality of that image and the degree to which is actually sticks to the part is going to be pretty inconsistent. Once the ink touches the part, it's done. It will smear and you couldn't re-position once it touches.

Give it a try and see what happens, but my guess is it won't work out well.
  • K2ConceptsK2Concepts Posts: 13,444Administrator El Jefe
    Always someone trying to ice skate uphill...
  • W3GW3G Posts: 39Member ✭✭
    Not trying to reinvent the wheel, just can't fit an entire John boat in the tank... smh. This ain't me first rodeo boys. 6 years in and I know I don't know everything. Still making money, but learning every day. 
  • NotSoFastNotSoFast Posts: 3,288Member, Moderator El Moderator
    Maybe have the pattern you are interested in printed onto vehicle wrapping vinyl and apply that to the boat? Sounds a lot easier. It's repositional so you wouldn't have to lay it down on the fly in exactly the right spot.
  • K2ConceptsK2Concepts Posts: 13,444Administrator El Jefe

Why not just lay the film in the lake and drop the boat into it?...

And to think I wasted all that money on equipment...smh
  • MidOhioHydrographicsMidOhioHydrographics Posts: 9,475Member, Moderator, Business Ninja El Moderator
    yeah I agree w/ @NotSoFast... Just use the correct process for the project. I have sent many customers to a vinyl wrap shop. Including someone that wanted me to do a sailboat mast.... that was 30' long.... LOL
  • LICCLICC Posts: 189Member ✭✭✭
    Some jobs you just gotta say no...
  • t_ozt_oz Posts: 102Member ✭✭
    A pool would be easier to moderate the water temp.