Just watched carbon fiber vid

I've always been told that with carbon fiber you don't wanna tape it on all 4 because carbon needs room to soak up the activator so it needs to move! So my question is.....is that correct?! I try to make sure it only can move to my rails .just curious

Comments

• MidOhioHydrographicsMidOhioHydrographics Posts: 9,475Member, Moderator, Business Ninja El Moderator
    We rarely tape anything. Sometimes film needs taped, sometimes it does not. If it's a film that "grows" while hydrating, don't tape or at least slit it. Sometimes taping is necessary to even get the film on the water if it's very humid. There's no 100% answer as to whether to tape or not.

Actually with carbon fiber? Taping can help keep the lines straighter.
  • WolfBandit30WolfBandit30 Posts: 26Member
    Well the problem I was having taping carbon was when I activated all if the sudden there would be little areas where it folded on itself creating lines in the pattern. Just what happened with me. 
  • smedlinsmedlin Posts: 1,920Member, Business Ninja ✭✭✭✭✭
    it fold in when you activate it??

May need to see a video of that one...
  • DeviousDipsDeviousDips Posts: 1,713Member ✭✭✭✭
    @WolfBandit30 I know what you are talking about. The most I'll tape on any film is 2 sides unless it's from fractal camo then I do all 4. I tape top and bottom and use dams for the sides. 
  • ShannonShannon Posts: 182Member ✭✭✭
    I live in the tropics so I have to tape. You will probably find those lines are there before you activate. Only tape 2 sides of the film and while it’s hydrating make sure there are no creases in the film. If you seen them smooth them out and once you activate you should be ok.
    I'll try and video it next time. I'm gonna start filming my work just for demo purposes for carshows. Also the vid I watched where he shows how stuff doesn't stick after dip, I have had pieces of stuff stick and if I didnt rinse immediately that the pieces would cause spots to remove off as I rinse. 
    Also if there is bits of old film in the water when you place the film it will stick when you activate. Most will rinse off but a time or two I've had it stick and actually damage the film on the product. Of course I don't have a professional rinse tank just a grate and water hose. 
  • K2ConceptsK2Concepts Posts: 13,444Administrator El Jefe

I'll try and video it next time. I'm gonna start filming my work just for demo purposes for carshows. Also the vid I watched where he shows how stuff doesn't stick after dip, I have had pieces of stuff stick and if I didnt rinse immediately that the pieces would cause spots to remove off as I rinse. 

@WolfBandit30 Well I can only show you what happens to us...and I video tape it so it's not just me banging on a keyboard like some FaceBook "professional"...if bit are sticking then its something else going on because the PVA creates a barrier so the old film will not stick to the barrier...not sure what is happening to your stuff but a video would help...

Also if there is bits of old film in the water when you place the film it will stick when you activate. Most will rinse off but a time or two I've had it stick and actually damage the film on the product. Of course I don't have a professional rinse tank just a grate and water hose. 

Again. I videotape to show this does not happen...so a video from you proving it happens would go a long way to diagnosing the problem...