Honest opinion wanted on activation

magicmagic Posts: 71Member
Hi everyone i have only dipping a few weeks , i use a devilbiss slg620 spray gun with 1.3 needle.
I would like everyone,s comment or advice. I am extremely pleased with my results so far.
I would like to know if my activation of film looks right on the finished product.
I have nothing to compare to ,and not enough experience to judge my own work.

Please be honest, im not a snowflake that gets offended, just want to improve

Comments

• magicmagic Posts: 71Member
    Fender
  • PagesHydroDippingPagesHydroDipping Posts: 541Member ✭✭✭
    After you next dip put a piece of tape on it and rip it off. If you film has melted into the paint like it should have nothing will come up. If it pulls a bunch of your pattern up then you know that your film has not melted into the paint. Get a airbrush gun so you can touch up
    Thank you @PagesHydrodipping i will do the tape test,
  • smedlinsmedlin Posts: 1,880Member, Business Ninja ✭✭✭✭✭

After you next dip put a piece of tape on it and rip it off. If you film has melted into the paint like it should have nothing will come up. If it pulls a bunch of your pattern up then you know that your film has not melted into the paint. Get a airbrush gun so you can touch up

I disagree with that.

Even at Big Brains, when we was double dipping stuff, they taught us to "de-tack" the tape.

the paint won't come off, but the film can...
    edited August 3
    @smedlin i picked up on detacking tape for double dipping, which i always do just in cas, though i think pages was trying to to tell me its a very good indication of the bond of the film to the basecoat. Cheers
    @smedlin howdo you think my print looking i.e depth of colour etc
    magic said:

For learning, your doing good.

A few areas on the skulls part you should have touched up, very noticeable in the top picture (which is a closer shot).

Looks like a fish eye or two as well.

Try doing a pinstripe on the borders of the film, specially on the fender. It will look better.
  • PagesHydroDippingPagesHydroDipping Posts: 541Member ✭✭✭
    @smedlin when i started out i tried a few different tapes and they were all pulling up my film. Once i finally got my activator gun and technique dialed in it stopped happening. Now i can put regular painters tape on it all day long and it does not effect it at all. If your pattern has bonded to your paint properly it will not pull it up. It would have to pull the paint off to get it up. And if your paint is coming up that easy then you have some prep issues.
    That's really great advive,so far no issues with film pulling off, mainly technique issues,learning is so much fun
  • loochlooch Posts: 1,729Member ✭✭✭✭✭
    Nice choice of pattern i used same one on my bike
    @looch that looks really good, and thanks i have something that i can compare my finish too.
    @magic thanks im repainting it again different design this year lol
  • K2ConceptsK2Concepts Posts: 13,340Administrator El Jefe
    @looch Man I like that bike...
    smedlin said:
    For learning, your doing good. A few areas on the skulls part you should have touched up, very noticeable in the top picture (which is a closer shot). Looks like a fish eye or two as well. Try doing a pinstripe on the borders of the film, specially on the fender. It will look better.
    Ive touched up the dodgy areas now... not in that  way . Lol. 
    I like the  tip about framing with pinstripe too.
    Hopefully  when i clearcoat it should  really pop.
    @smedlin  @looch    got my devilbiss  gpi ordered   should be with  me in a day or so. Fully set up by @AquaGraphix .    Should help iron out my learning curve.  Thank you very much for the advice so far 
    @magic good deal were ya from? 
    Aqaugraphix uk.  They are only just down the road from me. 
    My father is from england moms going over next month to burry his ashes 
    Sorry for your loss  dude.life throws  in some curve  balls. I lost my son 2 years ago in a motorcycle accident.  Thats why im building a memorial bobber in honour of Powys Llewellyn.  My son. 
    magic said:

got my devilbiss  gpi ordered   should be with  me in a day or so.

the GPI will help a lot.
  • RafalRafal Posts: 98Member ✭✭
    For doble diping i us varnish resin paint place one or two times 15 min and ready to
    ready to stick the tape and later nothing go off.
    Like hire

• K2ConceptsK2Concepts Posts: 13,340Administrator El Jefe
    I have no idea what he just said...
  • WileECoyoteWileECoyote Posts: 6,400Member, Moderator, Business Ninja El Moderator
    Me either  , i was looking  for  advice and help not see someone else's  work lol😆
  • onehitwonderonehitwonder Posts: 2,740Member, Business Ninja ✭✭✭✭✭
    I think @Rafal was saying he sprays a clear over the first dip to protect it from the tape
    Ahhh i didn't realise you could dip over clearcoat.
    magic said:

Ahhh i didn't realise you could dip over clearcoat.

You can.. but it's a very very very small window, or so I've heard.

He may have been talking about inter-coat, not clear-coat.

And if it was talking about clear coat, he probably scuff it and puts a layer of inter-coat over it to dip to.
    Thank you clearing that up @smedlin   
    Im off to @AquaGraphix  soon for my training,  hopefully they will explain that side of things,   , intercoat and other products  for ensuring good adhesion  on the dip. 

So far ive had no adhesion issues, just dull head mistakes ,    like dropping the  freshly dipped parts back into tank tnrough the residue  of activator and film ,,arrrrgggh . And forgetting to  mask up bits .
  • WileECoyoteWileECoyote Posts: 6,400Member, Moderator, Business Ninja El Moderator
    2K clearcoat has an 8-12 hour dip window (See your TDS for details)
    Innercoat has the same dip window as the paint it is based on. (Typically much longer)
  • RafalRafal Posts: 98Member ✭✭
    edited September 12
    Hey guys😱 ok my English is not so good 😬 i us A special colorless base for creating Candy varnishes
    and three-tiered databases
    Candy concentrate, special pearl and diamond powders can be added to it

Post edited by K2Concepts on