Dipping/clearing window.

Ok guys we have a "big" problem here. Our compressor go out in the midle of a "big" batch. We paint and dip in about 4 hours window. But now we have like 40 tumblers already dipped but our compressor is not working. Will take me about 2 days to repair the problem. We use automotive urethane paint and we really dont know our windows frame. We always paint/clear in less than 24 hours.

We think that maybe a midcoat of bulldog will help but not sure. Maybe a mist of reducer before clearing may help but maybe distort the dip. 

Any idea? Thanks advance.

Comments

• WileECoyoteWileECoyote Posts: 6,537Member, Moderator, Business Ninja El Moderator
    Get your compressor fixed. Scuff the parts, and put another coat of paint on and process as normal.
  • dodevildodevil Posts: 77Member
    But i cant scuff it. They are already dipped. if i scuff it i will damage the design. 
  • WileECoyoteWileECoyote Posts: 6,537Member, Moderator, Business Ninja El Moderator
    Not alot of options. Unless you want to chance using an aerosol. Or go rent/borrow a compressor
    Hitting it with solvent before clearing is going to ruin the print and possibly not work
    What about the bulldog? 
    Rent a compressor is another good option. But anyway we already have more than 24 hours in florida heat.
    Bulldog adhesion promoter? No, that will not help, and also may damage the print
    So i think that i will just clear it and sell it like a clerance stock. Repaint and redip will cost more than starting with a new $7 tumbler.
    No idea how long it will take for peeling. Or if that will ever happen. Maybe a little mist flat clear will be more durable.
  • smedlinsmedlin Posts: 1,920Member, Business Ninja ✭✭✭✭✭
    dodevil said:

So i think that i will just clear it and sell it like a clerance stock. Repaint and redip will cost more than starting with a new $7 tumbler.

how will it cost more? You have the tumbler, you have it already tapped off (or whatever you do), you already blasted it.

just scuff and repaint/re-dip. Don't know how that is more expensive than starting with clean tumblers...
  • loochlooch Posts: 1,763Member ✭✭✭✭✭
    Thats why we use paints made for this process . Gives you much longer windows to dip and clear
  • K2ConceptsK2Concepts Posts: 13,444Administrator El Jefe
    dodevil said:

What about the bulldog? 

That's probably the worst idea I have ever heard...
    What about the bulldog? 
    That's probably the worst idea I have ever heard...
    Ouch that bad it's? Even worst that painting over rustoleum? 

Hope was not so bad because i do it. They look good i just concerned about peeling over time. Cross cut adhesion test passed after 48 sun dried.
    Bulldog didnt damaged or mark the print at least i learn that. I also mix some bulldog into the clear due to a bulldog TDS recomendation.
    edited August 9
    Hey, I just go by the TDS also...this is also directly from the Bulldog TDS:

"Shake before use, and strain through a doubled paint filter before use.

Toluene, Toluol, Xylene, Xylol and other aromatic solvents cause Bulldog® TPO and polypropylene plastics to swell.

Do not use any product containing these solvents to wipe or clean plastics before applying Bulldog® BFT."

And since our activators contain Toluene, Xylene and various other aromatic solvents? You are asking for trouble...and I have experienced a whole lot of knuckling and delamination within 6 months of using Bulldog on various parts. I am only going by our experience and I will never recommend Bulldog to any of my students.

BUT if it works for you? Go for it...
    Post edited by K2Concepts on
    Oh. No i dont know if it work i just guessing/testing because we have that problem. So because im using super brew i will just limited bulldog to my cars and pray for this tumblers. What adhesion promoter can you recommend? That work with automotive urethane paint and 2k clearcoat.

Also im using SEM self etching primer on tumbler after scuffed or sandblating it. You know about any problem with that? No problem so far but i dont know.

Thank for your response.
    Nope SEM is good stuff...you can also use just an epoxy primer...Dupont makes a good AP called "PlaStick" I believe...Nanochem makes some good AP's also...
  • NotSoFastNotSoFast Posts: 3,288Member, Moderator El Moderator
    Lots of us don't use automotive paints. They have a short dip window, require separate primer, and require adhesion promoter on plastics. Instead, we use paints made for this process that bypass all of these negative aspects.
    i like the idea of ohw paint, or any other made for this. but we own a complete mixing machine for our bodyshop, and we have a huge amount of remains from cars, and wrong mix in white. so basically the paint is free, if this get Serious over time i will get the recomended paint, i will love paint 1 day all the stuff that i can i then left that ready for dip over the week. our paint booth time is limited.
  • loochlooch Posts: 1,763Member ✭✭✭✭✭
    If your gonna use automotive paints get a clear intercoat to leave you a longer window to dip too
    looch said:,
    If your gonna use automotive paints get a clear intercoat to leave you a longer window to dip too
    I like this. How this work? Any intercoat that you can recommend? I would love paint 40 or 50 tumblers and dip then when we can.
  • NotSoFastNotSoFast Posts: 3,288Member, Moderator El Moderator
    dodevil said:

looch said:,

I like this. How this work? Any intercoat that you can recommend? I would love paint 40 or 50 tumblers and dip then when we can.

OHW and some others make an intercoat clear that has the same dipping window as their paints. You would paint the item with your auto paint, then apply a coat of intercoat which gives it the longer dip window. Paint 40 tumblers on Friday finished with the intercoat, dip on Monday when you have more time.
  • onehitwonderonehitwonder Posts: 2,749Member, Business Ninja ✭✭✭✭✭
    Yep, this
  • smedlinsmedlin Posts: 1,920Member, Business Ninja ✭✭✭✭✭
    although.. at that point, might as well as just start with OHW.

smedlin said:

although.. at that point, might as well as just start with OHW.

This...