First hydro dip went well except faded??

rabbit929rabbit929 Posts: 13Member
Nostaligic carbon fiber on top of black
I used a kit from my dip kit.com. 
Ive read everything I believe I could, how to guides from many sources and troubleshooting info just to see what I could possibly run into. 

The results are in, it stuck really nice, but it’s so dull? Thin, the unevenness is definabtly my fault but why is it so... dull? It’s adhered very nice but you can barely see the pattern. 
93 degree water 
60 soak
35 sec activator
Dipped approx 1.5 hours after painting (beautiful dry day)
Post edited by rabbit929 on

Comments

• rabbit929rabbit929 Posts: 13Member
  • WileECoyoteWileECoyote Posts: 6,400Member, Moderator, Business Ninja El Moderator
    You got ALOT of stretch, underactivated and trapped air. A part that big is going to be REAL tough to do with an aerosol activator...
  • TroubleTrouble Posts: 343Member ✭✭✭
    Not a first dip project. You need to start small with things like speed shapes or light plates. You will never get any consistent results from a spray can. Get yourself a HVLP gun.
    You got ALOT of stretch, underactivated and trapped air. A part that big is going to be REAL tough to do with an aerosol activator...
    Thank you!! I thought I did pretty good for avoiding $most$ trapped air given the complexity, and I know I won’t get this to be perfect, but I do want to give it one more solid go before I install it. It’s for a project pickup that someone rhino lined the entire exterior, and rattle canned the interior purple. Half ways through peeling out the crappy interior paint, I had the idea of HYDRO DIPPING. began reading, got a little exited, and immediately bought a kit from mydipkit.
    after the fact I’m learning it’s not as easy as it looks, in fact, not even close. Lol! I spent about 4 hours reading this forum after finding it, after I dipped. Now that I got an “idea” of the process I do want to get a setup, gun and tank to learn how to get good at this. For now, even for how crappy it turned out, it’s a million times better than bubbly chippy and drippy plum crazy purple.

Trouble said:
    Not a first dip project. You need to start small with things like speed shapes or light plates. You will never get any consistent results from a spray can. Get yourself a HVLP gun.
    “Not a first dip project.” I learned this after reading this forum, in seeing what y’all call “difficult parts.” If those are difficult, this thing is borderline impossible/impractical haha!
    i agree entirely. I have a basic 30 gal air compressor so I am interested in picking up a gun and going hard in this industry. But at the moment I got two 4.5oz cans of activator, and I think I will try and use them for the time being. I re-base Coates the part this morning, and want to try one more dip. The next one will be permanent till I get some experience and know how, and a gun. 
    What can I do to prevent the excessive stretching? And I mainly want the face of it to look nice, the edges are sharp enough they are hardly visible when installed, should I tape out the gauges and poke air holes method? Will that help with the stretching??
    what are speed shapes? You mean like outlet covers?
    What’s your credit car number? JOKES! 
    So many questions haha

I should also say this is for an 82 dodge w150 mud runner, it’s a project truck. I bought it to learn stuff. So this dash is gonna be dipped if it kills me, I can always strip it (AGAIN) down the road if it bothers me, but once it’s installed so I have a dash again, I got alit of toys around here I want to practice dipping on. But I only got enough film for one more dip..
    i do like to like dangerously. 
  • TroubleTrouble Posts: 343Member ✭✭✭
    Stretching can be controlled some by Technique (rolling, feeding etc) Practice and experience. Film can only stretch a few inches before looking bad depending on the pattern. For something I have never dipped before I put it in the water without film and see how the water acts around the shape and look for potential spots that could trap air. I also use to video all my dips in the beginning so I could watch later to see what I did wrong. You can also post your video on here and we can tell you what you are doing wrong. Speed shapes are made out of ABS plastic and can be dipped without painting. Perfect for practice or troubleshooting a troublesome pattern. You can get them at most of the places that sell film. Light plates are the covers for light switches or electrical outlets they are real cheap but need to be prepped and painted first. I probably dipped at couple hundred speed shape and light plates before moving on to something else. They are easy its best to do baby steps with this process.
  • smedlinsmedlin Posts: 1,880Member, Business Ninja ✭✭✭✭✭
    For your very first dip.. using a spray can... not bad.
    smedlin said:
    For your very first dip.. using a spray can... not bad.
    You have no idea how happy that made me. xD

Trouble said:
    Stretching can be controlled some by Technique (rolling, feeding etc) Practice and experience. Film can only stretch a few inches before looking bad depending on the pattern. For something I have never dipped before I put it in the water without film and see how the water acts around the shape and look for potential spots that could trap air. I also use to video all my dips in the beginning so I could watch later to see what I did wrong. You can also post your video on here and we can tell you what you are doing wrong.
    I wanted to post a video, but I didn’t have anyone with me or a place to prop a phone without dropping it in the tub. Plus it’s my only stop watch. Having said that I just got done redipping it, I don’t know if o would say it’s better or worse, but I’m thinking it’s looking more like a “hammered” finish lol. Which I’m ok with, for now. It will work in the truck till I know what I’m doing. 
    92 degrees
    EXACTLY 67 second soak
    two instead of one activator passes
    20 seconds into the dip (it seemed to react much faster than the first with two passes)
    i also taped up all the holes, then poked holes to see if that would change the pattern at all. I think carbon fiber, it looks like hell. But it’s got a passable “hammered” finish that I’m gonna tell me friend I meant to do that. 

What caused the wave lines? Is that me twitching?
  • K2ConceptsK2Concepts Posts: 13,340Administrator El Jefe
    Hesitation lines...so yea that is you...
    rabbit929 said:

What caused the wave lines? Is that me twitching?

Like Master K said, hesitation lines.

If you pause, stop, or..hesitate..even for a brief second, you get those lines.

We all do it while learning.

(you really should practice on some small things first...)
    Yes I agree. As sad/glad I am that this piece is done, it’s the piece I bought the kit for. So I had no choice.. it had to be done. Completed. Obviously a long shot from prefect, but better than the drippy bubbly paint it was before. I’m happy as it being a texture for now, but I do want to practice this and get better, and no other way to learn to break ‘em in hard. Reguardless of the results, I learned a lot from this on how sup film reacts as how crazy bad aerosol activator is. Plus my newb dip technique, if you call it a technique. I see failure as an intimate form of learning. You have to lose before you win, and that’s why I go hard xD

i notice a lack of a database of what failed patterns look like, so as I create flaws, I will make a database of them so I can demonstrate stuff like those hesitation lines and stretch, kindof like that dude from K2Forums with the sweet dip tub makes. I’m gonna try some random hand tools next and see how they turn out.
    you guys are awesome and I appreciate it. If all goes well I’m hoping to buy some classes but I’ll get some dips under my belt first. 
    rabbit929 said:

i notice a lack of a database of what failed patterns look like,

http://k2forums.com/discussion/10060/troubleshooting-your-first-few-dips

I stand corrected!
  • WileECoyoteWileECoyote Posts: 6,400Member, Moderator, Business Ninja El Moderator
    rabbit929 said:

I stand corrected!

We get that alot around here... Thanks for beating me to the punchline @smedlin
    Before you get too excited, realize that even an adequate hobby setup will cost you around $15,000, and and one to run a business will push closer to $30,000, and a year of practice before you can make a buck at this. If that pumps your brakes a little, just find a guy who does this in your area and hire him. Then you can pick apart his technique all day long with the knowledge you gained from this forum.
    That’s the trouble, where I’m at there’s no one. That’s why I figured it would be a good thing to test the waters a bit at, because between that and powder coating, or even painting, the closest place is 150 miles away.
    and lol I started pumping the brakes when I found out the aerosol can activators are pretty much no good xD

Before you get too excited, realize that even an adequate hobby setup will cost you around $15,000, and and one to run a business will push closer to $30,000, and a year of practice before you can make a buck at this. If that pumps your brakes a little, just find a guy who does this in your area and hire him. Then you can pick apart his technique all day long with the knowledge you gained from this forum.

Cannot fault this logic...
    It would be 5 plus years before I could consider such a thing but dare to dream am I right? 
    That is a big issue where I live. 15,000 person town, and we are lacking in almost everything.
    eventually I would like to bring a new business in of a sort, but for now I’ll stick to industrial maintenance. 
    Well you have to have a vision. You already know the first mistake that guys make when they think about opening a business like this..."No one around here does this!"... the worst reason for opening a business in the long sad history of failed businesses...
  • NotSoFastNotSoFast Posts: 3,254Member, Moderator El Moderator

Well you have to have a vision. You already know the first mistake that guys make when they think about opening a business like this..."No one around here does this!"... the worst reason for opening a business in the long sad history of failed businesses...

There goes my idea to sell ice cream at the north pole... :|
    Ain’t that the truth xD 
    the main reason is a friend of mine and I have talked about eventually opening our own shop. Because no one around here does much of anything, so because of demand issues, for it to even be remotely feasible, we would be doing
    window tint
    fabrication
    suspension & custom upgrades
    hydro-dipping
    powdercoating
    repair & tires
    sound systems
    ceramic coating etc.
    which is why I intend to go to school for auto body. 

all the oddball stuff reg shops here won’t do, you have to go 150 miles to get stuff like that. And this town is the center of two major highways and an interstate, that’s severely lacking in the experienced job department. Which is the reason why this town hasn’t gained more that 200 people in the past 20 years. 
    Doing custom work will kill you. You need steady accounts
  • 3monkeyshydrodip3monkeyshydrodip Posts: 839Member, Business Ninja ✭✭✭✭
    Fun that we grossed around 350,000 last year and projected to double that this year all on custom work. But the cons are no life outside of work and liitle time with family and friends so there is some trade off.
    We should probably define the term "Custom Work"...

A steady account that brings you "custom work" is not really custom work....a different person walking in the doors and handing you a different part all the time is what Wile is talking about...
    @3monkeyshydrodip Sorry, yeah. I am talking about 1 person that brings a few hundred dollars in at a time. ACTUAL custom work? You can make a killing at. That is great fill in stuff for your established process and lots of fun to do.
  • 3monkeyshydrodip3monkeyshydrodip Posts: 839Member, Business Ninja ✭✭✭✭
    Sorry guys @K2Concepts and @WileECoyote never answer the forum after a long day of work in the sun downing Coronas haha. Yes your right on the custom work we do large jobs mainly ( ie whole bikes/cars) so dont thing we fit into that category. If its a peice here or there your shooting yourself in the foot and will never swim in the big pool.