Spots in clear coat

What is causing this rough texture when I spray my clear? I’m putting it on heavy just before it runs. If I try to sand it all out I will usually sand they the film. 

Comments

• PagesHydroDippingPagesHydroDipping Posts: 541Member ✭✭✭
    Hard to see on that pic. But it's more than likely trash that has landed in your clear while still wet. What grit sandpaper are you using?
  • jac42779jac42779 Posts: 28Member
    It may be trash with my homemade open face spray booth. Using 6000 grit wet sand I believe it is
  • PagesHydroDippingPagesHydroDipping Posts: 541Member ✭✭✭
    6000? We use 1500 and 2000 if we get trash in clear. Then buff it out
  • WileECoyoteWileECoyote Posts: 6,400Member, Moderator, Business Ninja El Moderator
    I dont even know where you would find 6000 grit... are you sure that isn't 600 grit... You would have to sand for a month to sand through a correct clear layer with 6000 grit.

And yeah, that looks like dust in your clear. With an open spray booth, ANY dust generated behind your part is going to land in your clear till it dries. That is about the quality you can expect with an open booth...
  • NotSoFastNotSoFast Posts: 3,254Member, Moderator El Moderator
    You'd remove more material with a pair of silk boxer shorts than 6000 grit paper.
    Lol sorry don’t know what I was thinking it’s 2000 grit. 
    Could it be what looks to be some kind of solids that’s in my clear when I mix it? I’m using nanochem 5% semi gloss and hardener with a little cross/fire moderate reducer from Napa. 
  • ShannonShannon Posts: 178Member ✭✭✭
    edited July 26
    Are you straining the clear after mixing?

my bad I just realised that photo is the clear in the strainer, not enough coffee this morning when I first commented sorry.
    Post edited by Shannon on
  • WileECoyoteWileECoyote Posts: 6,400Member, Moderator, Business Ninja El Moderator
    That looks like what we saw after our catalyst got some humidity in it. You need to keep the cap on that stuff, it sucks up water from the air. only open it right before you use it, and then immediately close it.
    I usually do just open it when I need it. I’ve got a new bottle of it. I will try it next time I shoot clear and see if it looks the same. 
  • MidOhioHydrographicsMidOhioHydrographics Posts: 9,404Member, Moderator, Business Ninja El Moderator
    Also be careful adding reducer to clear from another supplier. May not be compatible. Contact Marc from OnPace and get the right stuff, or see if that Napa is ok.
    I’m guessing my clear went bad or something. I used a new container and none of that white trash was in there.