Clear coat flex addative — K2Forums.com

Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Clear coat flex addative

GLHGLH Posts: 44Member
What's the best clear coat addative out there and can somebody give me an idea on how much it can actually help?

Comments

• onehitwonderonehitwonder Posts: 2,706Member, Business Ninja ✭✭✭✭✭
    Our clear has flex added already
  • GLHGLH Posts: 44Member
    I'm looking for a realistic idea on exactly how much flex it can handle.
    edited July 13
    Here is a video of what I need for flexibility. Is that unrealistic?

Post edited by GLH on
  • smedlinsmedlin Posts: 1,741Member, Business Ninja ✭✭✭✭✭
    I can't speak for OHW clear, but I know BB's clear can do that.

I've done MANY plastic welding helmets. As a test, I've folded them in half as much as I could.. thru it on the ground, walked on it.. sure it scratched it when I walked on it.. but that was it.
  • WileECoyoteWileECoyote Posts: 6,164Member, Moderator, Business Ninja El Moderator
    edited July 13
    Flex additive in most body shops applications is designed to last for a few days to get the bumper back on the car. Once it sits in the sun a few days... that is all gone. Most clears that I have used will handle the amount of flex you have there. But your best bet is going to be to test yourself. I wouldn't assume anything, as no one knows what the base material is, or how it was prepped. If this is a production job, get a few types of clear and try them out.
    It is production. Been using Kansas Hydrographics DTP paint with good adhesion results as well as flex. I will try a few then.

@smedlin which of BB's clear did you use?
  • smedlinsmedlin Posts: 1,741Member, Business Ninja ✭✭✭✭✭
    GLH said:

It is production. Been using Kansas Hydrographics DTP paint with good adhesion results as well as flex. I will try a few then.

@smedlin which of BB's clear did you use?

I've personally used almost all their clears.

I use a LOT of their express gloss, cause it drys in like 10 minutes. Faster drying times equal less chance of dust nibs. However, you can only use it on "small" parts, cause it flashes so fast...cups, helmets, stuff like that. I'm a big fan of it. Would be great for the part you showed.

For bigger parts, I use their Glamor Gloss. It's really nice.. will lay down and smooth out (easy to run though).

A month or so ago, I picked up a gallon of their graffiti gloss. Once it cures, it's twice as hard as "normal" clears.
    @WileECoyote and @smedlin thank you gentlemen!