Profitability

saucemansauceman Posts: 1Member
edited July 7 in K2 Business Forums
So..... I'm just getting into hydro (have a shop that does removable coatings and regular paint) and I'm wondering how profitable hydro is as an add on service.  I feel like I hear of so many people trying it and it not really working out as far as putting enough dollars in wallets for the high level of difficulty.  Inquiring minds want to know.....

TIA

Comments

• loochlooch Posts: 1,742Member ✭✭✭✭✭
    It all depends on the area your in and if there is a market for it. Some make a living doing hydrographics but alot also have it as a add on service from other business 
  • jtagliajtaglia Posts: 2,295Member ✭✭✭✭✭
    You get out what you put in. You have to be a good salesperson, get your product known to others. Beat the street & do trade shows. Make a business plan & stick to it. If you treat it like a hobby, it'll be a hobby
  • TroubleTrouble Posts: 346Member ✭✭✭
    Its not something you will learn right away even with training there is a steep learning curb you will not profit for a while. Be prepared to sink in a lot of money without any returns for a while I have seen a lot of people come and go since I started in 2013. Many guys I know are struggling now.
  • WileECoyoteWileECoyote Posts: 6,472Member, Moderator, Business Ninja El Moderator
    For a professional set up (able to consistently turn out quality parts) figure $30,000. If you assume you are going to make it on 1 off custom work, you will not generate enough interest in your area no matter your size. You need production work to pay the bills.
  • smedlinsmedlin Posts: 1,899Member, Business Ninja ✭✭✭✭✭

For a professional set up (able to consistently turn out quality parts) figure $30,000. If you assume you are going to make it on 1 off custom work, you will not generate enough interest in your area no matter your size. You need production work to pay the bills.

That's actually right at what I spent last year ($35k). And I built my shop in my garage.

(Note, that did include total cost of 2 different training classes for both the wife and I)

• MidOhioHydrographicsMidOhioHydrographics Posts: 9,443Member, Moderator, Business Ninja El Moderator
    If you have a lot of the equipment already (good air compressor and quality filtration system, blast cabinet, paint booth, paint guns, etc.) you will likely come in less than that $30,000. But I would guess around $15,000 roughly.
  • K2ConceptsK2Concepts Posts: 13,380Administrator El Jefe
    All the above...seen many come and go...people think because they build some POS tub that will hold water? That means some kind of right of passage like the world owes their business a living...worst business decision ever...we make a living at it and some years have done unbelievably well at it...slow right now but things are starting to break loose again...we support both our sons in addition to ourselves...but if you think the business is just gonna come waltzing in the door because you have a tank that holds hot water and kicked out some parts and blasted FaceBook?...Gonna be seriously dissappointed...
  • MidOhioHydrographicsMidOhioHydrographics Posts: 9,443Member, Moderator, Business Ninja El Moderator

All the above...seen many come and go...people think because they build some POS tub that will hold water? That means some kind of right of passage like the world owes their business a living...worst business decision ever...we make a living at it and some years have done unbelievably well at it...slow right now but things are starting to break loose again...we support both our sons in addition to ourselves...but if you think the business is just gonna come waltzing in the door because you have a tank that holds hot water and kicked out some parts and blasted FaceBook?...Gonna be seriously dissappointed...

We do work for some of the largest names in the firearm and outdoor industry and I had to lay guys off this year for the first time. Tough decision. Now things are really picking up again and I'm "short staffed." This business owner is giving more overtime instead of hiring. I have a core group of guys that absolutely kill it all the time. This process is finicky and attention to detail and care for the craft is a must. Learned my lesson...
  • WileECoyoteWileECoyote Posts: 6,472Member, Moderator, Business Ninja El Moderator
    @MidOhioHydrographics "short staffed"? I haven't heard that at all this year...

Our unemployment rate is so low, that you actually can't buy a house around here. Houses sell with being on the market for a day or two. Buyers are paying $20,000 to $30,000 over asking price, its insane. New construction is out of control, to build a house right now is $100,000 more expensive than the same house last year. EVERYONE is working 10 to 20 hours of overtime as their normal week for the last year or so.

@MidOhioHydrographics "short staffed"? I haven't heard that at all this year...

Our unemployment rate is so low, that you actually can't buy a house around here. Houses sell with being on the market for a day or two. Buyers are paying $20,000 to $30,000 over asking price, its insane. New construction is out of control, to build a house right now is $100,000 more expensive than the same house last year. EVERYONE is working 10 to 20 hours of overtime as their normal week for the last year or so.

I should have said that I'm intentionally staying short staffed. LOL. I don't want anymore poor employees. Travis is coming back from Florida to complete my original 4 again, and I don't want anyone else... even if 5 is really what I need.

Unless some big things come through, I'll be here for a while.
  • SreynoldsSreynolds Posts: 1,392Member ✭✭✭✭
    I feel ya Joe @MidOhioHydrographics . I tried to hire one guy and that was to much.... Really got into my beer money and I aint down with all that.