Best way to mask off teeth? — K2Forums.com

Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Best way to mask off teeth?

Archer0545Archer0545 Posts: 806Member ✭✭✭
I have a few alligator skulls to do and was wondering if there was a better way than tape to mask all of these teeth off? I have taped off teeth in boar skulls as there aren't that many teeth but with an alligator that's a different story. Any paint on peel off remedies out there?

Comments

• WileECoyoteWileECoyote Posts: 6,091Member, Moderator, Business Ninja El Moderator
    Vasaline
  • studebakerstudebaker Posts: 2,929Member, Business Ninja ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited June 14
    Or you can brush on SprayMask. Which is a liquid form of the PVA film we use to carry the ink for dipping. Also known as a water soulable mold release for fiberglass parts.

Added links to products: PVA MOLD RELEASE that rinses away in the normal rinse process. And another one here on AMAZON.

Post edited by studebaker on
  • TroubleTrouble Posts: 314Member ✭✭✭
    Liquid mask. Your local hobby shop should have it. Brush it on then peel it off after.
  • MidOhioHydrographicsMidOhioHydrographics Posts: 9,148Member, Moderator, Business Ninja El Moderator
    We have found tape to be the best. We do work for a few taxidermists and have tried the craft store brush on stuff and it's just a paint to get off afterward, and it takes a few coats. Remember if you're spraying it on the teeth, then you have to mask the rest of it to prevent overspray onto the skull itself. Brushing on is the best way, and it's as time consuming as tape.
  • Archer0545Archer0545 Posts: 806Member ✭✭✭

Vasaline

I've thought of this but was concerned it might cause issues with clear or something if any of it dripped off of the teeth during the rinse. Is there a way to prevent that ?

• Archer0545Archer0545 Posts: 806Member ✭✭✭

Or you can brush on SprayMask. Which is a liquid form of the PVA film we use to carry the ink for dipping. Also known as a water soulable mold release for fiberglass parts.

Added links to products: PVA MOLD RELEASE that rinses away in the normal rinse process. And another one here on AMAZON.

This looks interesting. I might give this a shot! Thanks Alan.
  • WileECoyoteWileECoyote Posts: 6,091Member, Moderator, Business Ninja El Moderator
    Vaseline does not cause fisheyes. I have done tests with it. Actually painted right over it, if its thin enough. But don't purposely be sloppy with it.