K2Forums.com Paint Booth Dust Prevention — K2Forums.com

Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

K2Forums.com Paint Booth Dust Prevention

K2ConceptsK2Concepts Posts: 13,015Administrator El Jefe

Comments

• PagesHydroDippingPagesHydroDipping Posts: 429Member ✭✭✭
    So your spraying that prep all straight on the dipped part? Then wipe it off and your good to go shoot clear?
  • NickelCityHydroNickelCityHydro Posts: 657Member, Business Ninja ✭✭✭
    Great video Jim!! Thanks for sharing your expertise on dust control. One question I have is how do you know when to change your filters? What sign do you look for? Thanks again Jim, keep up the good work.
  • WileECoyoteWileECoyote Posts: 6,091Member, Moderator, Business Ninja El Moderator
    @NickelCityHydro Most booths come with a differential manometer to test the pressure before and after your filters. If not you can get one in most HVAC supply houses.

This is the most common I see. Available from Grainger. Inclined Manometer

• WileECoyoteWileECoyote Posts: 6,091Member, Moderator, Business Ninja El Moderator
    edited June 13
    For you guys that don't want to spray your floors with water, we have used "Tyvek House Wrap" on the floor. It doesn't lint when you walk on it and tear it up. You will have to make sure your shoes are clean when you walk in first though. Keep your doors closed at all times, and for God's sake... don't use your booth for grinding. Put a sticky mat outside your door to remove dust from your shoes before you walk in.

You can get these at Uline, McMaster-Carr, and a few other places. There are ones that are just sticky sheets that you peel off as they get dirty, or a very soft rubber that you have to clean once in a while and it gets sticky again (picture those "sticky hand" things
    you played with as a kid.

And Just for Jim... Make sure your fan is on in the booth when you blow yourself off with the air hose (even better to use an ionizing air gun, to eliminate static) and ALWAYS do it on the OTHER side of your part. So the dust you blow off yourself doesn't get pulled right over your part into the filters...

• smedlinsmedlin Posts: 1,685Member, Business Ninja ✭✭✭✭✭

Manometer

ack, I've never even heard of a manometer...(and I'm sure there is a joke about jim's mom in there somewhere..)

I'll have to get one of those...
    @smedlin @NickelCityHydro Typically you can adjust the "zero" setpoint to what it should be when your filters are clean, and then change your filters out when you get to the point that airflow isn't to the rate that you determined is correct for your process. I like to make "normal" running differential pressure at 1". So that if it drops down to zero, I know my filters have a gap in them. This will help you at cleaning time on your fan if you are using solvent based paints.
  • K2ConceptsK2Concepts Posts: 13,015Administrator El Jefe

And Just for Jim... Make sure your fan is on in the booth when you blow yourself off with the air hose (even better to use an ionizing air gun, to eliminate static) and ALWAYS do it on the OTHER side of your part. So the dust you blow off yourself doesn't get pulled right over your part into the filters...

Yes I said shut the door but I forgot to say "EXIT YOUR BOOTH AND THEN SHUT THE DOOR TO AIR OFF YOUR SUIT AND YOURSELF"...but I did say come back into the booth...so yea jack hole...you get that one...

@smedlin that is the advantage of buying a professional booth...they usually come with one in the package...or you are an AC tech like I am...and we know what they are for...

@PagesHydroDipping yes you can shoot Prep All directly on the part and it will not take off the print...just the grease and wax and dust...
  • smedlinsmedlin Posts: 1,685Member, Business Ninja ✭✭✭✭✭
    I'll pick one up.

I'm going to totally redo my paint booth anyways. This one was a learning experience.
    @K2Concepts How many times have we had established practices that we see people attempt that completely mess it up? unless you make it PAINFULLY obvious what your intention was, its going to get done wrong.

And you are dealing with a person who dealt EXACTLY with this sort of stuff for almost 20 years, and now I write processes... You take what you get and you will like it...
  • K2ConceptsK2Concepts Posts: 13,015Administrator El Jefe
  • LibertymanLibertyman Posts: 912Member, Business Ninja ✭✭✭✭
    @smedlin there are a couple you tube videos, that show the manometer, and how to set them up. You will need to run a high pressure line and a low pressure line, one on each side of your filter bank. The low pressure tube is placed on the back side of the filter area
    And the high pressure tube is on the booth side, mount your Dayton manometer somewhere on the outside of your booth close to that location make your connections at the manometer and fill with the proper red fluid(which should come with the kit. And set and adjust. They come with set up instructions easy peasy. 50-75 bucks
    http://boothfilterstore.com/blog/why-use-a-manometer/