New To The Forum — K2Forums.com

Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

New To The Forum

waynetw77waynetw77 Posts: 4Member
Hi everyone, I'm new here and just dipping as a hobby. I started watching some videos randomly and though it looked like a lot of fun. Just getting started and having a lot of fun learning the process. I live in Southern California.

Question: I don't have all the equipment I need yet and my tank isn't heated. How important is it to have heated water? Will the film activate properly with cold water?

Thanks everyone!

Comments

• DeviousDipsDeviousDips Posts: 1,608Member ✭✭✭✭
    Welcome  
  • NotSoFastNotSoFast Posts: 3,207Member, Moderator El Moderator
    Welcome. The film WILL hydrate in cold water, but the amount of time will vary greatly depending on the temperature of the water. You can't "learn the process" if it changes every time you attempt it.

I'll put this as politely as possible. Hydrographics is a business and a pretty exact science. You CAN do it as a hobby, but all of the tools, materials and techniques used are the same as the professionals employ. At least if you want good results that are consistently repeatable. Consistency is the main thing you want. You don't want to get a good hit today, then have it screw up tomorrow and not know why it turned out bad or worse yet, have no way of correcting the errors. Youtube is the bane of this business. No one shows you the proper steps, necessary equipment or their failed attempts. I mean no one in their right mind would see a video of a pastry chef and decide to do it as a hobby and simultaneously think they didn't need an oven that holds a consistent temperature, properly graduated measuring cups and some sort of proper instruction as to the science of WHY and HOW different elements effect the final product. Dipping is no different. Anyone can throw some ingredients together in a dish and make an edible casserole. It takes finesse and knowledge to bake. Dipping is like baking. Exact recipes, ingredients, and techniques. Not enough salt in a casserole, just add some at the end. Not enough yeast in the bread dough, you made shitty pancakes.

Read the forums. Take a "good" training class. make sure this is something you want to do...and more importantly something you "can" do. Some people can't for one reason or another. No patience for following exacting routines without deviation is one. Buy proper tools and materials. This is not a cheap hobby. It never will be, no matter how much a person wants it to be. A good estimate of a good "hobby" hydrographics setup is usually said to be about $7-10,000. A business is looking at around $50,000 to start. It's the same tools and materials, just on a smaller scale.

Heat your tank. There's posts on DIY tanks in the forums here. Get a good activator gun and compressor. Buy proper paints (rattle cans from the hardware store are not good for this process). Buy materials from forum sponsors when possible. They all carry great items and are held to a very high degree of customer satisfaction by the forum owner, Jim and by us, their regular customers.
  • WileECoyoteWileECoyote Posts: 6,230Member, Moderator, Business Ninja El Moderator
    Standard Newbie Disclaimer... Even as a hobby, this process is going to cost minimum $10,000 before you get some consistency, and closer to $30,000 before you are ready to take on customer projects.

It is not ANYWHERE as easy as you see on YouTube

By all means, have fun playing around, just keep in mind when you think this would be a good business opportunity.
  • waynetw77waynetw77 Posts: 4Member
    @WileECoyote @NotSoFast I appreciate the feedback. Sounds like you've seen this type of post before... I'm working on buying the correct equipment but I just wanted to see if maybe I could start practicing without it. Sounds like its probably in my best interest to wait until I get what I need. Look forward to learning!
  • K2ConceptsK2Concepts Posts: 13,146Administrator El Jefe
    Well, we are here in So Cal so when you need training just let us know...and welcome to the forum...
  • waynetw77waynetw77 Posts: 4Member
    @K2Concepts You've already helped me via email, truly appreciate it. I'm in Redlands so I'm certainly interested in training. Do you offer courses?
  • smedlinsmedlin Posts: 1,784Member, Business Ninja ✭✭✭✭✭
    waynetw77 said:

Sounds like you've seen this type of post before... I'm working on buying the correct equipment but I just wanted to see if maybe I could start practicing without it. Sounds like its probably in my best interest to wait until I get what I need. Look forward to learning!

Howdy and welcome to the forums!

yea..as dipping get's more and more popular..more and more people are coming here and saying "I'm going to do it also!"

They buy everything they need...and 6 months later, it's all for sale.

We really do see several people each month sale everything off.

---

But.. those are usually the people who thought they could make a living off this right off the bat.

if, like me, your doing it for a hobby..and something to do and NOT to pay your bills, you will be fine.

But like most hobbies...the start up is expensive. There are no short cuts.

• K2ConceptsK2Concepts Posts: 13,146Administrator El Jefe
    waynetw77 said:
    @K2Concepts You've already helped me via email, truly appreciate it. I'm in Redlands so I'm certainly interested in training. Do you offer courses?
    Yes we do...we have trained over 450 individuals over the years so we are pretty good at what we do.

Just email me or give me a call to schedule a class for you...
  • NickelCityHydroNickelCityHydro Posts: 672Member, Business Ninja ✭✭✭
    Welcome to the forum and good luck!
  • SreynoldsSreynolds Posts: 1,350Member ✭✭✭✭
    welcome
  • LibertymanLibertyman Posts: 944Member, Business Ninja ✭✭✭✭
    welcome
  • MidOhioHydrographicsMidOhioHydrographics Posts: 9,257Member, Moderator, Business Ninja El Moderator
    Welcome!
  • OverCoatsOverCoats Posts: 350Member ✭✭✭
    Welcome
  • onehitwonderonehitwonder Posts: 2,715Member, Business Ninja ✭✭✭✭✭
    Welcome aboard!