About pp plastic — K2Forums.com

Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

About pp plastic

MyrkzMyrkz Posts: 11Member
So i got some Flight case in i made.

But when we had to clear coat them we had the problem with Silicone dots anywhere.

is there ANY way to prep recycled plastics /PP other then Flame it? we tried but this like the gas wont get out,
Post edited by Myrkz on

Comments

• WileECoyoteWileECoyote Posts: 6,230Member, Moderator, Business Ninja El Moderator
    You are not trying to get it to out-gas, you are trying to get the release agents to come to the surface so they can be wiped off to promote adhesion. Silicate contamination is not necessarily a product of release agents, its possibly a contamination in your shop or your process. It COULD be a problem with your plastic (being recycled you never know) and not the release agents, but it will NEVER be solved with flame treating.
  • MyrkzMyrkz Posts: 11Member
    You are not trying to get it to out-gas, you are trying to get the release agents to come to the surface so they can be wiped off to promote adhesion. Silicate contamination is not necessarily a product of release agents, its possibly a contamination in your shop or your process. It COULD be a problem with your plastic (being recycled you never know) and not the release agents, but it will NEVER be solved with flame treating.
    Mhm okay what would be my best way to fingure out how to get the best adhesion, i used so much diff acetone, primer etc. 
    We dip after We prime with not base coat could that be the problem  😅
  • K2ConceptsK2Concepts Posts: 13,146Administrator El Jefe
    First off...acetone will not degrease that case...you need a proper degreaser like isopropyl alchohol & water mixture...or Prep All or Purple Power or whatever...but NOT Acetone...

Secondly? When you try to shortcut the process like skipping basecoat and experimenting by attempting to print direct to primer? You can expect some failures so you better have a thorough knowledge of the process so you can get back on track...

Thirdly? Figure out where that contamination is coming from...it may not be the process but may be your air delivery system or something like that...
  • WileECoyoteWileECoyote Posts: 6,230Member, Moderator, Business Ninja El Moderator
    Your process is not a good process. It leads to problems that you can't fix (as evidence by what you are experiencing here). I wouldn't even attempt to try to figure out how to fix this, until you straighten out EVERYTHING else.
    First off...acetone will not degrease that case...you need a proper degreaser like isopropyl alchohol & water mixture...or Prep All or Purple Power or whatever...but NOT Acetone... Secondly? When you try to shortcut the process like skipping basecoat and experimenting by attempting to print direct to primer? You can expect some failures so you better have a thorough knowledge of the process so you can get back on track... Thirdly? Figure out where that contamination is coming from...it may not be the process but may be your air delivery system or something like that...
    Sorry i We were using all kind of degreser We could Come up on.

But thanks for the answers i Will go Thought anything again 
    First off...acetone will not degrease that case...you need a proper degreaser like isopropyl alchohol & water mixture...or Prep All or Purple Power or whatever...but NOT Acetone... Secondly? When you try to shortcut the process like skipping basecoat and experimenting by attempting to print direct to primer? You can expect some failures so you better have a thorough knowledge of the process so you can get back on track... Thirdly? Figure out where that contamination is coming from...it may not be the process but may be your air delivery system or something like that...
    You talk about my spary air? Or in my shop? 😋😋😋
  • MidOhioHydrographicsMidOhioHydrographics Posts: 9,257Member, Moderator, Business Ninja El Moderator
    Myrkz said:

First off...acetone will not degrease that case...you need a proper degreaser like isopropyl alchohol & water mixture...or Prep All or Purple Power or whatever...but NOT Acetone...

Secondly? When you try to shortcut the process like skipping basecoat and experimenting by attempting to print direct to primer? You can expect some failures so you better have a thorough knowledge of the process so you can get back on track...

Thirdly? Figure out where that contamination is coming from...it may not be the process but may be your air delivery system or something like that...

You talk about my spary air? Or in my shop? 😋😋😋

He is referring to the air coming from your airlines. But there are numerous possible sources. Any silicone spray, WD40, silicone caulk, etc. in the shop?