Choosing the right Thermostat — K2Forums.com

Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Choosing the right Thermostat

UptonSpoonUptonSpoon Posts: 553Member ✭✭✭
Hi All, I am trying to work out what the correct submersible temp sensor for a PID Controller is.
I found a PID controller rated at 40 amps on ebay that comes with a Thermocoupler here
ebay.co.uk/itm/4-IN-1-PID-KIT-Digital-Temperature-Control-40A-SSR-Heat-Sink-K-Thermocouple-/121300484297?ssPageName=ADME:X:RTQ:GB:1123http://

I emailed the seller who tole me that the thermocoupler was not waterproof and I should look for a K Probe, this confused me as this item comes with a K Probe.
Any way, can someone please explain what the right submersible waterproof temp sensor to get to use with a pid controller for my heating element ?
Thanks/.

Comments

• MachinesUnlimitedMachinesUnlimited Posts: 196Member ✭✭
    Basically the K is a standard for what type and range of sensor. If its looking for a K type it would have a different temp range of a J type probe. It's not they type of end. Just the signal type it sends. Hope that explanation helps.

• UptonSpoonUptonSpoon Posts: 553Member ✭✭✭
    Thanks but how do you work out which one is the right one to be permanently submerged in water please?
    I personally don't se why you couldn't submerge that sense. It's not made to be. But don't se why it would hurt. Basically if your going to pick one out. The smaller the sensor end. The faster the signal will be sent back. I'd just get one that looks like a ball of solder on the end, if your going to just submerge it. Like the ones that come with a fluke meter.
  • CARBONCONCEPTSCARBONCONCEPTS Posts: 83Member ✭✭
    Do a search on pt100
  • HardeightHardeight Posts: 584Member ✭✭✭
    edited April 2014
    Auber instruments. They got what you need. Those ebay controllers are a crap shoot.
    Post edited by Hardeight on
    Thanks guys
  • BIGGAME510BIGGAME510 Posts: 295Member ✭✭
    if your worried about it being in the water u could make a thermo well basically a copper tube pinch the end put thermo paste in it shove the sensor in the tube put the tube in h water leave the openend above the water
  • Five-oh HydroFive-oh Hydro Posts: 31Member
    Hey guys I'm looking for a thermostat for my tank. Would this work I'm using a 120volt 2000 watt heating element.
    http://m.ebay.com/itm?itemId=220919310105
    Biggest issue I see is its *C not *F Might mess you up unless your familiar with the translations
    Texday07 said:

Hey guys I'm looking for a thermostat for my tank. Would this work I'm using a 120volt 2000 watt heating element.

I have never used this brand, but I suppose it would work.
    The size and power of your element has no bearing on your controller, because you will not control the element directly with it.
    You will still need some more parts to control your element with this controller.
    Hardeight said:

Texday07 said:

I have never used this brand, but I suppose it would work.
    The size and power of your element has no bearing on your controller, because you will not control the element directly with it.
    You will still need some more parts to control your element with this controller.
    What else would I need? Thanks
    Breakers, switches, relays, contactors some good connectors and wires and a good enclosure. A good understanding of electrical circuits wouldn't hurt either.
  • CARBONCONCEPTSCARBONCONCEPTS Posts: 83Member ✭✭
    Please search electric brewery on google. You will find a site that shows you step by step how to control your heating elements and how to build a control box.

If you have very little electrical knowledge please buy a pre made control panel. 220V is nothing to play with.

Please search electric brewery on google. You will find a site that shows you step by step how to control your heating elements and how to build a control box.

If you have very little electrical knowledge please buy a pre made control panel. 220V is nothing to play with.

Ok thanks I design my own control box and I see what you mean. It was fun figuring it all out.
  • HalfDippedHalfDipped Posts: 53Member
    We have the same controller with that probe and it has been working fine for the past 3 months. If it isn't broke don't fix it.

I often find myself over thinking a problem when the solution is relatively simple. Happy Dipping

We have the same controller with that probe and it has been working fine for the past 3 months. If it isn't broke don't fix it.

I often find myself over thinking a problem when the solution is relatively simple. Happy Dipping

Do you mean the same controller from my original post please?