Harley Gas Tank help — K2Forums.com

Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Harley Gas Tank help

Rolling a harley gas tank. OHW WHITE base under hear no, see no pattern. When rolling tank I am getting a small spot at bottom of tank  missed where tank bolts to frame. In picture provided I just airbrushed it into a semicircle but if I could correct it that would be great. Second, getting trapped air in sections of the film which you may not be able to see because I tried to touch this ups with an air brush. Any tips would be appreciated. Third, this pattern over a white base is extremely hard to touch up with air brush, with film and paint brushetc.. Any help would be appreciated.

Comments

• doghousedoghouse Posts: 8Member
  • DeviousDipsDeviousDips Posts: 1,608Member ✭✭✭✭
    If it's on the bottom where it bolts up I would do just as u did and airbrush it. Once it's mounted will u be able to see it if it's on the bottom?  If not I would not worry about it
    Yeah you cannot see it with seat on. I've dipped it three times trying to cover that and what you see is the best I've gotten. Any advice on touch up or trapped air when rolling?
  • DeviousDipsDeviousDips Posts: 1,608Member ✭✭✭✭
    Some spots are just gonna trap air no matter what u do. If you take an airbrush and touch up slightly no one will even notice. 
    That's what it seems like. Thats what sucks is the white base makes it way more apparent that spots are missing. This is my third bike but the first with a white base and film with such little ink. I've learned a lot but man has it been a royal PITA
  • smedlinsmedlin Posts: 1,784Member, Business Ninja ✭✭✭✭✭
    Your going to have some dead spots, no matter what. It's just a matter of how well you can hide them.

When i did one (same pattern), I ended up going with the fat end, straight down into the water, then rotating the skinny end forward as everything immersed.

This way, there was none of that stretching at the top of the tank.

• versuspaintversuspaint Posts: 206Member ✭✭✭
    With that pattern, just put some black in the airbrush and make some smoke like in the pattern where you are voiding out. Then it will not stick out as much as the pure white base. All you have to do take the eye off of those areas so they blend in better.
    smedlin said:
    Your going to have some dead bi spots, no matter what. It's just a matter of how well you can hide them. When i did one (same pattern), I ended up going with the fat end, straight down into the water, then rotating the skinny end forward as everything immersed. This way, there was none of that stretching at the top of the tank.

doghouse said:
    smedlin said:
    Your going to have some dead bi spots, no matter what. It's just a matter of how well you can hide them. When i did one (same pattern), I ended up going with the fat end, straight down into the water, then rotating the skinny end forward as everything immersed. This way, there was none of that stretching at the top of the tank.

I'm trying to visualize what you mean by going in wide side first. How did you roll it then?
    doghouse said:

I'm trying to visualize what you mean by going in wide side first. How did you roll it then?

Top of the tank (near forks) is the wide side.. bottom (near seat) is the small side.

I probably dipped that 6 or 7 times, before I stepped back and REALLY studied how it broke the water. Different angles and stuff.

I figured the best way, with one dip, was to start with the tank totally vertical, with the big side (top) of the tank going into the water first, and the front of the tank facing away from me.

As I put the tank into the water, I rotated it away from me, so by the time the skinny part (where the seat would be) entered the water, the tank was at less than a 45 degree angle.

The very very bottom of the tank had some blank areas. But the only way you see it is if you like laying on the ground looking up at it.

smedlin said:
    I'm trying to visualize what you
    mean by going in wide side first. How did you roll it then?
    Top of the tank (near forks) is the wide side.. bottom (near seat) is the small side. I probably dipped that 6 or 7 times, before I stepped back and REALLY studied how it broke the water. Different angles and stuff. I figured the best way, with one dip, was to start with the tank totally vertical, with the big side (top) of the tank going into the water first, and the front of the tank facing away from me. As I put the tank into the water, I rotated it away from me, so by the time the skinny part (where the seat would be) entered the water, the tank was at less than a 45 degree angle. The very very bottom of the tank had some blank areas. But the only way you see it is if you like laying on the ground looking up at it.
    Thanks for the tip. I'm going to give that a try.
    Finished product. It wasn't perfect but customer was happy. Thanks for all your helpcustomer
  • ForsiForsi Posts: 210Member ✭✭✭
    Looks nice; customer is right to be happy with that outcome. Good work.
  • LibertymanLibertyman Posts: 944Member, Business Ninja ✭✭✭✭
    Nice
    the gas tank looks faded on in areas...