Gpi activator gun

royroy Posts: 115Member ✭✭✭
hey any help would be appreciated. I recently got a GPI 1.4 for activator and am having issues dialing it in... I switched from air gunsa 1.4 ‘ that guns now for Hydrovator ‘.... so I set the GPI up at 1/2 turn out on fan... 2 turns out on fluid and around 8 psi around 12” off water.. I get under activation on custom film I’m using dip juice... if I do two passes it’s still under... so how is everyone else settling these guns up???? @Deviousdips ? Anyone??? 

Comments

• SreynoldsSreynolds Posts: 1,381Member ✭✭✭✭
    Only 1/2 turn out on fan ???
  • WileECoyoteWileECoyote Posts: 6,400Member, Moderator, Business Ninja El Moderator
    @roy you gotta watch the activator 101 videos more. At this point in the game you shouldn't be relying on people to tellyou how many turns you should have on a dial. You should be looking at the pattern on the gun and adjusting from there. You want just enough air coming out of the gun to completely break up the stream, and that is different for every gun. You are going to be served 100 times a day by learning to set up your own gun.
  • MidOhioHydrographicsMidOhioHydrographics Posts: 9,404Member, Moderator, Business Ninja El Moderator
    Agreed. Watch the videos again. With empty gun not connected to air, open the fluid all the way open, then pull trigger fully. Turn the fluid knob in until it hits the back of the trigger. Release the trigger, then go another half turn. THAT is where your fluid control needs to be: As open as possible. Open fan fully. Then adjust the air pressure to get a good pattern. Somewhere around 8-10lbs should be good, but this will vary with airline setup, etc.
  • DeviousDipsDeviousDips Posts: 1,648Member ✭✭✭✭
    @Roy. I use the 1.8. For me I tend to under activate shooting a 1.4 
  • smedlinsmedlin Posts: 1,880Member, Business Ninja ✭✭✭✭✭

@Roy. I use the 1.8. For me I tend to under activate shooting a 1.4 

Same, i use the 1.8 also
  • royroy Posts: 115Member ✭✭✭
    Thanks @MidOhioHydrographics and @WileECoyote I’ve watched the videos numerous times and I’ve never had a problem with my air gunsa but I set the Devilbis up with same fluid adjustment and just couldn’t get the thing dialed in for some reason so I asked for advice from people that own them which is what I’ve done to get where I’m at is ask questions from people more knowledgeable than me...
  • DeviousDipsDeviousDips Posts: 1,648Member ✭✭✭✭
    @Roy have you tried switching to the 1.8? 
  • MidOhioHydrographicsMidOhioHydrographics Posts: 9,404Member, Moderator, Business Ninja El Moderator
    Don’t assume it will be the same fluid adjustment. Learn to dial a pattern, not turn knobs to a set point. Each gun will have different settings, especially from different manufacturers. Always assume each gun will need dialed in individually.
    @DeviousDips no I only have the 1.4 ..that’s what I’ve always used with my other activator guns and usually two passes and I’m golden but not with this gun may have to buy 1.8 tip...@Midohiohydrographics Joe you’re exactly right brother I have no problem with any of my paint guns or clear guns but no matter what the pattern looks like with this particular gun I can’t seem to get it activated properly that’s why I asked about other people’s settings for this particular gun...out of frustration lol... I set it to where it has a beautiful fan and I think the pattern looks good and bam!,, under activated!! But I will get it!!! I have three different activator guns set up with three different activators for different films..I wanted to set this gun up for doing all the custom film.... Custom film gets to expensive for trial and error lol
  • WileECoyoteWileECoyote Posts: 6,400Member, Moderator, Business Ninja El Moderator
    If you have a good pattern from the gun, then you are simply moving too fast, or not overlapping enough. One reason or another you aren't getting enough solvent on the film. It's not the gun, it's your technique.
    @WileECoyote you sir are correct I was way over thinking it and with a million different things going on I kept resetting the gun instead of changing my technique.... I set it back up the way I originally had it and slowed my passes down and it came out better so I slow down even more and Wala it’s perfect... I think too because it’s custom film which I’ve found requires less activator I may have subconsciously sped up to not over activate and when I got under activation I automatically reset the gun....thinking that it wasn’t putting out the right amount of fluid. anyway I’ve got it working now...thanks!!
    It happens all the time. People get tunnel vision, and think something is a problem, and just can't get past it. I solve alot of problems just by taking a step back and looking at a different angle.
  • smedlinsmedlin Posts: 1,880Member, Business Ninja ✭✭✭✭✭

It happens all the time. People get tunnel vision, and think something is a problem, and just can't get past it. I solve alot of problems just by taking a step back and looking at a different angle.

^^^^ This right here.

My day job is a software engineer.

Many many times I've hit a "roadblock", shelved the project, come back the next day fresh...and it's like a light from heaven is shining down on the issue. Right there in plain sight.. but I was to focused on a different path to see it.

@smedlin and @WileECoyote I think I had so much going on that I hard a serious brain fart lol....I went momentarily brain dead... but yeah it helped to step back and after a few comments on here my brain unlocked and I was able to get it straightened out.... we’ve been growing so fast that my head goes in the wrong direction sometimes but thanks again to this forum I’m good to go...
  • dendendenden Posts: 23Member
    I have a gpi, and love it ! It took me a couple days to get it just right. Just keep trying to find your sweet spot  Every one is different in how they hold the gun to how their equipment is set up. Don't waste good activator tho, try using water or denatured alcohol. Spray it on cardboard or large paper. 
  • ShannonShannon Posts: 178Member ✭✭✭
    I just used my new GPi for the first time today and love it.