K2Forums.com Difficult Parts Dipping A Rear Spoiler Part 2 — K2Forums.com

Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

K2Forums.com Difficult Parts Dipping A Rear Spoiler Part 2

K2ConceptsK2Concepts Posts: 13,137Administrator El Jefe

Comments

• loochlooch Posts: 1,690Member ✭✭✭✭✭
    Nice job jim i thought the bottom of the spoiler was different thats why i asked about dipping the other side
  • LibertymanLibertyman Posts: 944Member, Business Ninja ✭✭✭✭
    @K2Concepts , did You mask right directly to the first dip, or did you intercoat clear before taping off? Thanks for vid 2 EL Jefe
  • K2ConceptsK2Concepts Posts: 13,137Administrator El Jefe
    @Libertyman I masked direct and it lifted sooo...redipped it and clear coated the first side...will mask and base over the overspray tomorrow and redip...

I still don't care for intercoat but we have a couple in the shop that I really like so far so I may shoot a video with them tomorrow for you guys...
  • LibertymanLibertyman Posts: 944Member, Business Ninja ✭✭✭✭
    @K2Concepts , ya iam always wondering if the interclear, will hold, it's just base paint without pigment right? I wonder if a quick coat of flat clear would be better, I've had the intercoat, lift before on a couple double dips. Nothing sucks more the having to dip the first side all over again when that happens. I think there is a tape out there that's suppose to be easy on the first dip when masking off. Think someone mentioned that once on the forum a while back.
  • WileECoyoteWileECoyote Posts: 6,230Member, Moderator, Business Ninja El Moderator
    If its possible to stay within the dip window, I would ALWAYS default to clear rather than intercoat. Its a little extra insurance to have a 2k product down to help with solvent resistance if needed.
  • schidroschidro Posts: 355Member ✭✭✭
    So @WileECoyote are you saying base, clear, dip & re-clear?
  • K2ConceptsK2Concepts Posts: 13,137Administrator El Jefe
    schidro said:

So @WileECoyote are you saying base, clear, dip & re-clear?

No...

Base

Dip the first half of the dip

Clear over that part so when you mask off that part? Removing the masking will not lift the print...

If there is any over spray of clear onto the next half of the dip? You will need to base over that so the print sticks.

Mask off the cleared part of the dip to protect it and get a clean line to match the print...I usually do this as part of the step above...so technically I will dip, clear, mask and base over the over spray and then redip the second half of the part...

Rough up the cleared part of the dip and reclear the entire part at this point...

• WileECoyoteWileECoyote Posts: 6,230Member, Moderator, Business Ninja El Moderator
    Yep