VIDEO attached.. problems with activating

kcswordkcsword Posts: 14Member
I'm still having trouble with activating this film. I followed Jim's video on gun setup. Im using a harbor freight gun, yes I know it's cheap... I'm at 14.5 p.s.i., and using Hydrovator. 60 secs dwell, tanks at 85 degrees. Please check out the video and tell me what i'm doing wrong. this one came out better than the others though.

Thanks Guys.

Comments

• kcswordkcsword Posts: 14Member
    After rinse

• DeviousDipsDeviousDips Posts: 1,648Member ✭✭✭✭
    Lose the hydrovator and get a cooler activator. Superbrew, Dip Juice, HydroSolutions Activator, Ink drink , Mossy Sauce. 
  • smedlinsmedlin Posts: 1,880Member, Business Ninja ✭✭✭✭✭

Lose the hydrovator and get a cooler activator. Superbrew, Dip Juice, HydroSolutions Activator, Ink drink , Mossy Sauce. 

And I've done a full motorcycle and a 4 wheeler in that film. I found that hydrovator worked better than super brew.

For me anyways.

---

@kcsword.. With those speed shapes, go in with the skinny side. And put some tape on the back to make like a handle to hold it, so you don't have to touch the front. But, that has nothing really to do with your issue.

What type of filtration do you have on your airline setup?
    kcsword said:

60 secs dwell, tanks at 85 degrees.

Thanks Guys.

Also... the STARTING rule of thumb, is 90F tank, 60 sec soak time, activate, dwell for 20 seconds.

Honestly though, the water temp just helps speed up the hydration. You can dip in colder water, it just takes longer.

And nothing is set in stone. it does not hurt to soak longer. Within reason.

But once you activate, THAT is when the time really get's important.

As soon as you set the spray gun down, you was reaching for the part to dip. Seven seconds after you stopped spraying, your part was touching the water. That's not a lot of time for the film to soak up the activator.

Your helped by the fact that it IS hydravtor, and that really only requires one pass. SB is suggested 2, since it's "weaker". But was still really fast dip.
  • WolfBandit30WolfBandit30 Posts: 24Member
    I have found to lower the pressure. I too use a harbor freight gun and i have a regulator at rhe gun and run 6 to 7 psi and fan at wide open and fluid control 2 turns open .Slow passes. The film should liquify instantly. 
    I was told its easier to under activate than over activate . So slow the speed of your passes. Also make sure the film us allowed to spread when you spray .It has to move some .

Also make sure the film us allowed to spread when you spray .It has to move some .

Whaaa??

No, just the opposite.
    @smedlin I have a stone air filter from harbor freight. And i went in fast because if i wait a little longer i see holes develop in the ink or the pattern starts to break up.
    @kcsword, Where ya from?

And what size compressor ya got?

@smedlin, I'm from Valencia, Ca. I have a 21 gallon 125 p.s.i. compressor
    with hydrovator, don't tick-tac-toe it.

And to ME, it looks like your spitting either a bit of activator or a bit of water.

And that would go along with what your seeing.. holes form right away.

REALLY need more than a little HB filter to catch the water, specially in humid climates.

• norcalfranknorcalfrank Posts: 1,046Member ✭✭✭
    smedlin said:

with hydrovator, don't tick-tac-toe it.

And to ME, it looks like your spitting either a bit of activator or a bit of water.

And that would go along with what your seeing.. holes form right away.

REALLY need more than a little HB filter to catch the water, specially in humid climates.

I have been running a HB desiccant filter for a long time with a small filter at all my guns. Never had a problem. Maybe make sure his tank is drained regularly if he is spitting water. I bet with that gun, he is spitting activator. Used to use those for primer some years ago. Sometimes you get an okay one, and sometime they don't work at all.

• WileECoyoteWileECoyote Posts: 6,400Member, Moderator, Business Ninja El Moderator
    Well, you may need to watch that setup video a few more times. The pattern is crap, you aren't holding it far enough away from the paper to get an accurate test, the airpressure is too high, you started off with your cap turned the wrong way, never turn your cap with the needle seated, and... Getting a better gun is going to help you IMENSLEY 
  • ForsiForsi Posts: 220Member ✭✭✭
    Agree with what has been stated above; a better gun will definitely help you for sure. Also, definitely give more dwell time after you activate. I have used Hydrovator with that same film previously and water was 90 degrees, soak was 60 seconds, activated with Hydrovator and not in tick-tack-toe, dwell time was 15-20 seconds for the film to fully glass out.
    smedlin said:
    Also make sure the film us allowed to spread when you spray .It has to move some .
    Whaaa?? No, just the opposite.
    What I meant by that is that when I spray activator the film naturally wants to flex and my rails are usually set close so it will move a bit. I'm not talking anything major. Plus I don't tape edges to much. Just how it works for me. 
    Maybe it's just the light and reflection.. but sure seems like a lot of orange peel
  • MidOhioHydrographicsMidOhioHydrographics Posts: 9,404Member, Moderator, Business Ninja El Moderator
    Yeah, or maybe the parts were textured? Laying clear is an art in itself. Can't be afraid to get a run or you'll never lay it smooth. Even with proper technique and conditions, It has to be just on the verge of a run without getting there. If it looks like it will just all slide off onto the floor... but doesn't? That's perfect. LOL

Can't be afraid to get a run or you'll never lay it smooth. Even with proper technique and conditions, It has to be just on the verge of a run without getting there. If it looks like it will just all slide off onto the floor... but doesn't? That's perfect. LOL

I've become an expert at sanding out runs and polishing :D
  • K2ConceptsK2Concepts Posts: 13,340Administrator El Jefe
    smedlin said:

Can't be afraid to get a run or you'll never lay it smooth. Even with proper technique and conditions, It has to be just on the verge of a run without getting there. If it looks like it will just all slide off onto the floor... but doesn't? That's perfect. LOL

I've become an expert at sanding out runs and polishing :D
    Sad but true...
  • RafalRafal Posts: 98Member ✭✭
    https://youtube.com/watch?v=uIq8qXZNfYM
    i like this film its eazy to make