methods for activation & making the film stick — K2Forums.com

Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

methods for activation & making the film stick

CnakidCnakid Posts: 2Member
So, I am as new as they come when you talk hydrographics. I have watched a lot of work being done, and picked up a few things but there are many gaps in my knowledge. I have done a fair bit of research online but would like peoples opinions on this forum, as i haven't been able to successfully dip.

My first question is: IS A SPRAY GUN/ AIR COMPRESSOR THE ONLY METHOD TO APPLY ACTIVATOR??
I am yet to set up my guns and compressor so have not used them yet (or even tested via this method). I am currently applying activator via SPRAY BOTTLE. On very light mist setting so that no heavy drops are dispersed that damage/ alter quality of the image at all. Is this a major NO NO??

Secondly, should the film stick to anything, after activation of course, or IS THERE A PARTICULAR METHOD THAT ENSURES THE FILM WILL STICK??
I have attempted to dip a plastic phone cover firstly, but was so excited to just dip something that i didnt prime the thing first lol and the film just slipped off, but partially remained on the phone cover, just massively "smudged". Same thing happened to a glass that i also rushed into dipping without preparation.

After a little more research and seeing alot of discussions on here, I have wanted to dip mainly metal parts, for instance, majorly automotive parts. So i have sanded down a metal part (attached to a flywheel, crank sensor), pressure pack spray canned it with etch primer (promoting excellent adhesion), and i think i am ready to dip it.

I understand that there are many potential reasons why youd be laughing at me right now lol, i am also laughing at myself, but i am as new as they come, and really eager to do this. Starting a business within the next month!, and feel like I am SOOOOO FAR FROM READY!!

PLEASE HELP ANYONE! SUGGESTIONS, EVEN CRITICISM IF YOU FEEL, I AM OPEN TO YOUR KNOWLEDGE!

Comments

• loochlooch Posts: 1,690Member ✭✭✭✭✭
    At very least get a aerosol can of activator till you get your guns setup. Anything other then abs needs some kinda paint for film to adhere to. Go one @onehitwonder website and order couple cans of paint and activator if your just playing around till your setup
  • RockhardRockhard Posts: 6Member
    you haven't done any research, google, and read all this massive amount of information on this gr8 forum first before you post again.
  • WileECoyoteWileECoyote Posts: 6,230Member, Moderator, Business Ninja El Moderator
    Calm down there Turbo. You will not be starting a business in the next month... if you do you will be OUT of business in one month and 2 weeks. You are SO far from ready, you have no idea how far you actually are. I am not going to list all the things you don't know, you will need to watch videos and read to get that information.

Assume BEST CASE SCENARIO (you are an INCREDIBLY fast learner, you have 8 hours EVERY DAY to spend on this, and an extra $10,000 to $30,000 immediately available to you for purchasing equipment) it is going to be 6 months before you are ready to take on clients projects.

If not, then just slow down and enjoy learning at your pace and treat this as a hobby. We are more than willing to help with that as well.
  • PagesHydroDippingPagesHydroDipping Posts: 476Member ✭✭✭
    You got a long way before your ready. Its gonna take a while to get familiar with this process. Its not as easy as YouTube makes it look lol.
  • ForsiForsi Posts: 210Member ✭✭✭

Calm down there Turbo. You will not be starting a business in the next month... if you do you will be OUT of business in one month and 2 weeks. You are SO far from ready, you have no idea how far you actually are. I am not going to list all the things you don't know, you will need to watch videos and read to get that information.

Assume BEST CASE SCENARIO (you are an INCREDIBLY fast learner, you have 8 hours EVERY DAY to spend on this, and an extra $10,000 to $30,000 immediately available to you for purchasing equipment) it is going to be 6 months before you are ready to take on clients projects.

If not, then just slow down and enjoy learning at your pace and treat this as a hobby. We are more than willing to help with that as well.

This. If your plan is to actually make a business out of this then you do not need to rush into it or you will be done before you realize it. Take your time and learn, learn, learn before you open your shop. You will find that you will be CONTINUALLY learning more even once you have the basics of this process mastered. Every item, project, material, film, etc. is different and you have to learn how to analyze the various factors in order to succeed at this process. Youtube does NOTHING good for this process from a 'reality' standpoint. To do it right takes a lot of acquired knowledge, patience, determination, etc. Based on where you say you are in your post I am being realistic in agreeing you should not open your business and start taking customer orders in a month or less. You need the proper equipment in addition to the knowledge of how to figure this process out, not to mention everything else that goes into properly setting up a business to open the doors and preventing an immediate failure and the subsequent closure of said business.

I took over 2 years to research this industry, the equipment, the process, etc. before I opened our doors and I still learn more things with just about every project. Starting a business is hard enough if you know what you are doing so don't set yourself up for failure before you officially open the doors.

At the minimum get yourself a proper spray gun (ideally guns), activator, paint that is compatible with this process, some quality films, and at least a decent tank and give yourself a solid shot at making your business successful. You can always upgrade to better equipment as you grow your business, but if you dive in the deep end before you know how to swim...well you can finish the thought.

Take your time and research and learn everything you can as you figure out how this all works. There is an incredible amount of knowledge and resources on this forum so grab your favorite beverage and a big bowl of patience and sit back and learn...

Everyone on this forum will want you to succeed, but you must be realistic and have a plan for how you will create your success. Jumping in completely blind and un-educated is going to cause nothing but frustration and failure for you and cost you more money than you will want to lose.

Sorry if this is not what you want to read, but I am just trying to be realistic with your future successes in mind...
  • WileECoyoteWileECoyote Posts: 6,230Member, Moderator, Business Ninja El Moderator
    @Forsi I am blunt, bordering on offensive at times. Thanks for making it a little kinder sounding.
  • ForsiForsi Posts: 210Member ✭✭✭
    Too funny @WileECoyote ...I was merely trying to shed some additional reality on the situation....haha
  • CnakidCnakid Posts: 2Member
    I just want to say thank you to each of you for posting your thoughts. Even if u believe them to b harsh, but i was only hoping for real info, and nothing but the honest opinions and truth, which you all gave me. 

After reading your comments, i realised how "NEWBIE" i made myself out to be in my post. I was just trying to keep it as straight to the point i could, which in turn made me leave out the details of my situation. 

I have a dip tank, heaters, filtration,  pumps, thermostat, etc. I have the guns, the compressor. Ive also got film, and both activator premixed from a supplier,  and activator i mixed myself according to what i researched.  

Australia is where i am situated. So film was purchased from hydro concepts and activator from another liable supplier.  

I lived in a workshop for 12months that had a hydrodipping business next door, so i have watched and learnt a few things, and totally agree that youtube is not reliable. And google searching (although i have done) is not enough and experience and practice is key.

I do not intend to open a business taking customers work without nailing it! And i have to admit that i guess my post was merely an attempt to nail it quicker, but feel pretty silly now because that would be cutting corners And definitely isnt something i should be doing. 

I did however dip my auto piece today,  it stuck (which was awsem) but i feel i should have waited a little longer after activating.  But all is a learning curve :) but thank you to everyone in this discussion. Youve somewhat allowed me me to focus and i am sticking to the big picture!