Paintbooth Filters

sonic89sonic89 Posts: 62Member
I’m currently using AC filters in my DIY paintbooth but wanted to know if there was a better option. Thanks in advance for the help. Also if you have any suggestion on how I could improve the paint booth please feel free to share your knowledge.  

Comments

• K2ConceptsK2Concepts Posts: 13,444Administrator El Jefe
    Those will load up fairly quick...but it you go to a cheaper filter then the crap is going to overload your fans...so stick with what ya got...for now..
  • WileECoyoteWileECoyote Posts: 6,533Member, Moderator, Business Ninja El Moderator
    Spun Polyethelene (Viledon) filters. Look for "Paint booth filters" on some better filtration sites. We get ours locally
  • TroubleTrouble Posts: 348Member ✭✭✭
    We also use the Viledon filters I get a box of 50 filters for around $40. 
    Looks like you have filters over box fans this is very dangerous get yourself a real both fan. 

• sonic89sonic89 Posts: 62Member
    Trouble said:
    We also use the Viledon filters I get a box of 50 filters for around $40. 
    Looks like you have filters over box fans this is very dangerous get yourself a real both fan. 

How is it dangerous?
  • mielkewaygraphicsmielkewaygraphics Posts: 192Member, Business Ninja ✭✭✭
    @sonic89 it's dangerous since pulling the paint through the electric fan motor is a fire risk. Most exhaust booths have the electronic or motors outside the fan area and a belt that goes inside to the fan blade. The air moves the fumes through the exhaust and out. The motor is protected. Once the paint gets gummed up around your electric motors your increasing your risk of a chemical fire. Plus it just wears out the fans and they become so gummed up they won't spin. I guess it depends on how much paint you spray. The problem is especially risky when using solvents like your clears and some base coats. Using water base will help with the fire risk but might accelerate the wear of the fans. (since most water base paints "spray" slightly thicker)

Lastly since your using a restrictive furnace filter it will make your fans "overwork" to get air to circulate. Thus, overheating the electric motor and you have a paper element smack dab on the hot motor. Furnace filters burn pretty easy...... ask me how I know... lol..

• MidOhioHydrographicsMidOhioHydrographics Posts: 9,472Member, Moderator, Business Ninja El Moderator
    Electric motors spark and you’re pulling flammable solvent vapor through the motor.
  • sonic89sonic89 Posts: 62Member
    Thanks for the help guys, will definitely look into changing up the paint booth
  • WileECoyoteWileECoyote Posts: 6,533Member, Moderator, Business Ninja El Moderator
    You can push the air through the booth by putting those type of fans on the inlet side. But if your booth is leaking anywhere, you are gonna have overspray all over your shop. 
  • LibertymanLibertyman Posts: 959Member, Business Ninja ✭✭✭✭
    Get yourself an axial fan, where the motor is completely separate from the fan blades and air flow