My first dip kit gets deliverd today!

pitopito Posts: 19Member
I'm not sure my wife realizes everything is getting dipped this weekend, forks, spoons my kids picture frames, everything. (Just kidding). I came across a couple youtube vids and was blown away by the transfer process. I have NO experience in dipping and honestly have only painted with aerisol cans. Im excited to try it out and learn all i can. With all that being said, thanks in advance for the advice and answers to my future questions.

Comments

• smedlinsmedlin Posts: 1,835Member, Business Ninja ✭✭✭✭✭
    howdy and welcome to the forums!

And...

• MidOhioHydrographicsMidOhioHydrographics Posts: 9,344Member, Moderator, Business Ninja El Moderator
    Glad to have you! Best advice would be to be prepared for failure. This process takes a lot of practice and the kits don't make it any easier. Even activator application is difficult with an aerosol. But have fun! It is an amazing process!
  • pitopito Posts: 19Member
    Thanks I appreciate it. Im expecting failure from the get go. But i'll never learn if i dont try. Hopefully i'll get decent enough after awhile to justify getting a spray gun.
  • MidOhioHydrographicsMidOhioHydrographics Posts: 9,344Member, Moderator, Business Ninja El Moderator
    Just have fun with it. Prep and paint a few parts, and practice dipping. You'll most likely get some decent results, but don't expect it to be 100%. Common problem is under activation with aerosols, so be aware of that.
  • SreynoldsSreynolds Posts: 1,369Member ✭✭✭✭
    Where are you from ??
    @MidOhioHydrographics thanks for the heads up.
    @Sreynolds I'm from South Florida. How about yourself?
  • SreynoldsSreynolds Posts: 1,369Member ✭✭✭✭
    Im in AL . If u really feel strongly about this, go ahead and have fun with the kit but look into training. You will get a good understanding about the process and actually save money.
    @Sreynolds ill look into it. Thanks
  • loochlooch Posts: 1,709Member ✭✭✭✭✭
    Go get some light switch covers to practice with there cheap and if you get abs no need to paint first
  • tizdippedtizdipped Posts: 38Member
    Welcome I'm pretty new too😄
  • NickelCityHydroNickelCityHydro Posts: 676Member, Business Ninja ✭✭✭
    Welcome to the forum!
  • LibertymanLibertyman Posts: 944Member, Business Ninja ✭✭✭✭
    Welcome to the forum
    Guys, quick question. Im about to dip this small part. Its a ring like part. About 3 inches in diameter and about 3/4 inch in depth. Is it possible to dip at a 45 without stretching or is rolling the way to go. Im trying to avoid a seem if possible. Your opinion is greatly appreciated.
  • WileECoyoteWileECoyote Posts: 6,307Member, Moderator, Business Ninja El Moderator
    You MIGHT get it to cover if you go straight in with only being that deep. But go SLOOOOOOOOOOW 
    Yeah sorry about that, after i posted here i noticed the "Newbie tech questions" section. Thanks for the tip. Since i have a second piece the same size that screws on to that one, ill just screw them together and "TRY" rolling them. That way the pattern flo matches up on both pieces when they are put together. Worse case scenario ill re-prep them and keep working on my rolling skills to get a clean lookung seem. Thanks again.
  • LibertymanLibertyman Posts: 944Member, Business Ninja ✭✭✭✭
    very slow if you go straight in, if you roll it, you will have a seam for sure. but sometimes the seam isn't that noticeable, all depends on the film you are using.
  • smedlinsmedlin Posts: 1,835Member, Business Ninja ✭✭✭✭✭
    Try doing in at a 45 and feeding in over the part.

it's small enough that if it don't work, no biggie.. just redo it

A LOT of the learning process is just trying things.
    @Libertyman @smedlin thanks for the advice. Its much appreciated.
  • WileECoyoteWileECoyote Posts: 6,307Member, Moderator, Business Ninja El Moderator
    Or cut yourself a few dozen pieces pvc and experiment. I am sure you could find 20 different techniques you could practice