Film activation issues.

Hello all, I'm new to this forum and to dippng in general.  I have been practicing a lot and keep running into the same issue.  When I activate the film it will generally glass out nicely except for pin head spots throughout the pattern.  If I spray more activator it doesnt change anything.  When I dip the majority of the pattern hits nicely but then I have pin head spots that flake off in the rinse.  A lot of times these spots are in a distinct straight line.  I'm thinking possible underactivation or maybe water/oil droplets from the compressor and not having an inline moisture filter.  I can attach pics as well but any help would be greatly appreciated.
Thanks in advance!

Comments

• loochlooch Posts: 1,709Member ✭✭✭✭✭
    What film and activator and yes pictures would help
  • Sidewinder33Sidewinder33 Posts: 10Member
    TWN multicam and TWN 2010 activator.   I will post pics in a couple hours.
  • DeviousDipsDeviousDips Posts: 1,617Member ✭✭✭✭
    Generally if you are getting a line of holes your dipping the part to flat and trapping air. Try going in on more of an angle 
  • PagesHydroDippingPagesHydroDipping Posts: 507Member ✭✭✭
    First 2 pics are trapped air. Last one is definitely under activated
  • loochlooch Posts: 1,709Member ✭✭✭✭✭
    Hold film up to the light and see if there are holes in it #1trapped  air #2 looks like trapped air and bunched up film # underactivated how long are you letting it sit after activation?
  • MidOhioHydrographicsMidOhioHydrographics Posts: 9,344Member, Moderator, Business Ninja El Moderator
    Yep, Trapping air and still under activated a bit. Make sure you go in at an angle. Anything that hits flat will cause those spots in a line (linear spots or spots in recessed areas are text book trapped air). Being under activated also doesn't help. The film won't flow into the areas as nicely.
  • K2ConceptsK2Concepts Posts: 13,255Administrator El Jefe
    Half your problem is that crap 2010 they sold you on...dump it in the fire pit out back and have a Corona because those haters have already burned you...so burn their crap and mark it up as a lesson learned...get some SuperBrew for those patterns and the tiny spots should go away...the trapped air? Now that's technique and you will have to get better at your job for that to go away...
    Thank you guys so much for the comments.  I did feel like TWN was taking me for a bit of a ride.  For the record 90 degree water, 60 sec hydrate, and 20-40 second dwell after activation.  Wanted to try different times to see if that would help.  I did order superbrew and hydrovater last night so hopefully that will help.  Thanks again for the advice!
  • MidOhioHydrographicsMidOhioHydrographics Posts: 9,344Member, Moderator, Business Ninja El Moderator
    edited May 17

...and 20-40 second dwell after activation...

No need for that long of a dwell. Watch the film glass out, then dip. Maybe 5 to 10 seconds.
  • SreynoldsSreynolds Posts: 1,369Member ✭✭✭✭
    The SB should help your activation issues... Keep in mind the technique thing, you will be fine
  • WileECoyoteWileECoyote Posts: 6,307Member, Moderator, Business Ninja El Moderator

I did feel like TWN was taking me for a bit of a ride. 

Yup
    Just out of curiosity....I used TWN's recommended paint.  You have to mix a hardener in with it.  Is there a paint any of you could recommend that you dont have to mix prior to using?  
    One hit wonder, hydro solutions both forum sponsors and both have great products
    Thanks
    There are other ones but those are the 2 i have used. Oh yeah and DTP from Kansas hydro is good to
  • onehitwonderonehitwonder Posts: 2,731Member, Business Ninja ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited May 17
    We have most of TWNs swatches on file, and can match for no extra charge - just call Kerry at 305-318-1459
  • K2ConceptsK2Concepts Posts: 13,255Administrator El Jefe

We have most of TWNs swatches on file, and can match for no extra charge - just call Kerry at 305-318-1459

This...
    I certainly will thanks!
  • LibertymanLibertyman Posts: 944Member, Business Ninja ✭✭✭✭
    Funny thing is, when we bought from TWN back in the beginning they always tried to push their activator on me, I tried it once or twice and figured out that is was junk. Like Jim @K2Concepts had said. "Toss it" , 7 years later, if I have to order a film from them, they don't bother asking me if I need any activators. They probably know it's junk as well and save their efforts on the newbies.
    It's funny how everyone around the country has evolved, except them.. they still won't let you order online as a "dealer" they need to talk to you in person like old school.. not sure why. Must be something top secret. Thinking there're the best supplier or something not really sure.