New guy here with a few questions

t_hydet_hyde Posts: 10Member
Ive got an old kobalt paint gun that I never had used and I’m using it for the time being. I’d like to upgrade but I don’t want to buy the top of the line gun. And I’d like to shoot base, activator and clear with it if possible. Any suggestions on what gun to get? 

Comments

• DeviousDipsDeviousDips Posts: 1,711Member ✭✭✭✭
    First off you will want 3 seperate guns. Would not mix between the 3. At minimum I would have an activator gun, base coat gun, and clear gun. 
  • Fejery4491Fejery4491 Posts: 154Member ✭✭✭
    The ANI mini and F150 full size guns are pretty awesome for the price. I would definitely at least have a separate gun for activator and paint.
  • t_hydet_hyde Posts: 10Member
    The ANI mini and F150 full size guns are pretty awesome for the price. I would definitely at least have a separate gun for activator and paint.
    The mini for paint and the f150 for activator?
  • DeviousDipsDeviousDips Posts: 1,711Member ✭✭✭✭
    I would buy the Air Gunsa for activator. Full size ANI for paint and mini for clear if doing smaller jobs
  • Fejery4491Fejery4491 Posts: 154Member ✭✭✭
    F150 would probably make for a good activator gun. Im pretty sure @K2Concepts has a 1.7 he's looking to get rid of for an awesome price at the moment....? I personally prefer larger guns for activator, I use a 1.8 GPI. But I know plenty of people who prefer a 1.3 or 1.4....it's all personal preference

Minis are good for solvent based paints, but end up being small for waterbased. Work really well on small to medium sized parts. If you're doing alot of large parts, you'd be better off just getting 2 full size guns.
    It’ll mostly be small projects. A lot of tumblers and stuff that size. I have little experience painting and I need to guys to hold my hand and just tell me what to buy lol. Tip size and all. This forum is great btw. If it helps I’ll mostly be using all materials from Kansas hydro. 
    I think I had my pressure to high. Around 35 psi. This is supposed to be metallic.
  • MidOhioHydrographicsMidOhioHydrographics Posts: 9,472Member, Moderator, Business Ninja El Moderator
    t_hyde said:

I think I had my pressure to high. Around 35 psi. This is supposed to be metallic.

It won't sparkle until you put clear over it. Gloss only. Semi-gloss is ok, but hides some. Matte finishes hide nearly all the metallic sparkle. Get it wet and look in the sun. Lighting makes a difference also. Fluorescent lights won't sparkly like LED or sunlight. Play around with it after it's cleared.
  • onehitwonderonehitwonder Posts: 2,749Member, Business Ninja ✭✭✭✭✭
    We have guns for sale, separately, or as a 2 or 3 gun kit.

https://www.ohwpaint.com/collections/accessories/products/lvlp-spray-gun
    We have guns for sale, separately, or as a 2 or 3 gun kit. https://www.ohwpaint.com/collections/accessories/products/lvlp-spray-gun
    I actually looked at your guns last night. I’m just unsure on tip sizes. Ive seen what you recommend and what others recommend and I don’t know what to get. Is it going to make a very noticeable difference?
  • onehitwonderonehitwonder Posts: 2,749Member, Business Ninja ✭✭✭✭✭
    1.3 for activator and base, 1.4 for clear