How to properly prep these wheels

Hey Everyone!

Still pretty new to this forum and hydrographics. I have a great potential partnership with a wheel company near me and he would like me to dip a set of wheels for a porsche his client has. I would like to know the best and most efficient way to tackle this project. Open to all ideas, Thanks

Comments

• Jcashman8Jcashman8 Posts: 21Member
    This is the film he would like on the wheels he has
  • PagesHydroDippingPagesHydroDipping Posts: 574Member ✭✭✭
    Just make sure you clean them really good then blast them and start your normal process
    What if i am unable to blast them? Mainly because i dont have a sand blaster.I know doing a normal sand with either a ortibal or by hand takes more time but I am curious on other alternatives to blasting. What will be your normal process? @PagesHydroDipping
    I figured, after sanding or blasting i would degrease, prime then sand or degrease then base? @PagesHydroDipping
  • studebakerstudebaker Posts: 3,084Member, Business Ninja ✭✭✭✭✭
    I love it! You can order that pattern from your favorite custom film printer....

• loochlooch Posts: 1,763Member ✭✭✭✭✭
    I would have rim powdercoated scuff up the front spokes of the rim hit with a intercoat clear then dip 
  • PagesHydroDippingPagesHydroDipping Posts: 574Member ✭✭✭
    @looch why would you powder coat them? Im not to sure hand sanding would be good enough. You need that good profile all over for good adhesion
  • DeviousDipsDeviousDips Posts: 1,711Member ✭✭✭✭
    Alot of companies say to not sand blast rims. My full time job won't do rims  I don't know the reason behind it but I know some come places won't blast them
  • versuspaintversuspaint Posts: 222Member ✭✭✭
    @PagesHydroDipping any hand sanding will give just as good as blasting if it is done right. I think what @looch was saying is that if they are already painted or powdercoated and look good(which in the pics they do), just scuff and sand them very good paint them white, intercoat, or the color of choice and dip them.
    @PagesHydroDipping i done a few rims for me its easier to drop off at powdercoater have him strip blast and powdercoat the entire wheel then come in scuff paint and dip just the front part
  • MidOhioHydrographicsMidOhioHydrographics Posts: 9,472Member, Moderator, Business Ninja El Moderator
    Blasting would be much more efficient and get down in all the corners/recessed areas much easier. Remember if the original coating is in that good of condition, just a light blast to “etch” the existing coating is all you need. I wouldn’t blast a rim all the way down to bare metal due to liability risk. A good epoxy primer will help get good adhesion also.
  • WileECoyoteWileECoyote Posts: 6,533Member, Moderator, Business Ninja El Moderator

Alot of companies say to not sand blast rims. My full time job won't do rims  I don't know the reason behind it but I know some come places won't blast them

Because when you change the profile of the rim you are taking responsibility for the performance of it. Notice all the round corners? They do that on purpose, its to eliminate stress points where a crack could form. Blasting introduces THOUSANDS of stress points, sanding too. That is why most people won't touch rims. Again... its what you are comfortable with personally, but I wouldn't do it.

That being said? if there is a good solid coating on the rim that I could scuff with a scotchbrite and get clear to hook up? THAT isn't changing the profile. And I would document my procedure VERY well, because if something happens... you are going to get a call from a lawyer. And you know Porsche owners are responsible drivers that are careful and don't do anything stupid while driving... and also don't have money for lawyers.
  • K2ConceptsK2Concepts Posts: 13,443Administrator El Jefe
    Well if you get sued you can simply declare bankruptcy and move the shop to a different location and start all over again...
    Thank you guys for all the feedback, your really helping me out. If I were to sandblast these being a polished lip, what material would you recommend blasting with. Personally I would like to just scuff and degrees and try out the OHW then dip (if that's possible). @studebaker How much would it cost for you to print enough for four wheels and would you be able to magnitize that image to make them slightly bigger/clearer? 
  • studebakerstudebaker Posts: 3,084Member, Business Ninja ✭✭✭✭✭
    @Jcashman8 I am sure that one of these custom film printers below will be glad to print that pattern for you! The printer you choose can resize it any way you like. The image you see above is only a low-resolution sample, the full-size print they will use is a much higher resolution. The going rate for custom film is $35.00 per M² and you should be able to get two wheels per meter... Barring mis-dips.

FractalCamo.com
    GoBigBrain.com
    LiquidConcepts.com
    HydroDigitalFilms.com
    Einsteings.com
    SmartSolve.com

• Fejery4491Fejery4491 Posts: 154Member ✭✭✭
    Well, for what it's worth.....I've probably blasted 200+ wheels down to bare aluminum and powdercoated them without any sort of failure. That being said, I'm no lawyer.....so take that for what it is.
  • WileECoyoteWileECoyote Posts: 6,533Member, Moderator, Business Ninja El Moderator
    @Fejery4491 I agree. I have done it myself... for myself or close friends. I put it in the same category as hardhats... There is so much money to be made out there... why mess with the stuff that can get you in trouble.
    Hey guys, quick question. I have a dummy wheel I will be practicing on before i dip these.. If i sand blast to give it the etch 1) what material is best, im thinking glass beads? and 2) once etched and ready to prime could i just get OHW white and paint it then let it cure and it would be ready to dip?
    Aluminum oxide or garnet
  • DeviousDipsDeviousDips Posts: 1,711Member ✭✭✭✭
    What looch said and yes after blast ohw and dip