First Time Water Base

MKralMKral Posts: 83Member ✭✭
edited April 27 in Water Based Paints
Huge shout out to @DeviousDips ,@mielkewaygraphics , @MidOhioHydrographics , & @K2Concepts! These guys have spoke highly of water base paint. I bought some Hydro Solutions paint from Mielkewaygraphics and shot it through an Air Gunsa 1.3 last night onto a stainless tumbler. Grabbed it today and tried to tear it up. Man does that stuff stick!! It also covered very well. I will have to make some changes with my gun as it seemed to struggled a bit to shoot it but I think I was a little soft on air @ 22 PSI and will fine tune it later, but bottom line is I was impressed for sure at the coverage and adhesion!!! Thanks for all the help you guys, this might be a big deal as I decide to maybe make a bigger jump into this business. Losing your day job kind of does that to a guy after 16 years.....

Comments

• DeviousDipsDeviousDips Posts: 1,713Member ✭✭✭✭
    Awesome. I agree awesome paint. Sorry to hear bout the day job. But their is tons of work out there just gotta go get it. Good luck bud
  • K2ConceptsK2Concepts Posts: 13,444Administrator El Jefe
    @MKral Yea you need to be around 30 psi for water based paints...
  • MKralMKral Posts: 83Member ✭✭
    Thanks guys!!!
  • MidOhioHydrographicsMidOhioHydrographics Posts: 9,475Member, Moderator, Business Ninja El Moderator
    Yep, we actually use a 1.5 for it around 30psi. It is thick, so don't be afraid to raise the pressure a bit to compensate.
  • LibertymanLibertyman Posts: 959Member, Business Ninja ✭✭✭✭

Yep, we actually use a 1.5 for it around 30psi. It is thick, so don't be afraid to raise the pressure a bit to compensate.

Yah this!

Thanks guys. I was hoping to use one of the guns I already have if possible. I shot some test patterns yesterday with an Air Gunsa 1.3 at 30 PSI and it shot really well. I have no doubt a 1.4 or 1.5 might shoot even better but I certainly can live with the pattern I got out of the 1.3 for now.
  • mielkewaygraphicsmielkewaygraphics Posts: 192Member, Business Ninja ✭✭✭
    Awesome! Hope it all turns out well for ya. Got any questions just let us know.
    We use a 1.4 size tip on our spray guns around 25 - 30 psi. We found that mixing our paint with a mixing pour spout lid really makes the consistency better for spraying. If ya don't have one just make sure your mixing very well. Use a paint stir stick to get the stuff off the bottom then mix away....
    http://www.rockler.com/mixing-mate-paint-lid-gallon-size-stir-pour-and-store

We just remove the round hand connector and use a cordless drill.
  • MidOhioHydrographicsMidOhioHydrographics Posts: 9,475Member, Moderator, Business Ninja El Moderator
    Yep we have those type of lids on all our cans. We also found Dedoes brand for around $12 at our local paint shop. They come w gears or other tops on the stir rod, but they can be removed and a drill can be used like mentioned above.
    Thanks guys I will be looking into those for sure.
    edited May 1
    Any issues leaving mixing lids like that on your cans for storage? Meaning any drying issues of the paint?
    Thanks,
    Post edited by MKral on
  • WileECoyoteWileECoyote Posts: 6,537Member, Moderator, Business Ninja El Moderator
    MKral said:

Any issues leaving mixing lids like that on your cans for storage? Meaning any drying issues or the paint?
    Thanks,

Nope... they have thought of that. I imagine the requirements meeting listed that as #1-A
    edited April 30
    Cool thanks!! I have 3 on their way to give a try.
  • DeviousDipsDeviousDips Posts: 1,713Member ✭✭✭✭
    One Hit Wonder also sell the Dedoes brand on his site. They make like easy with the pour spout
  • mielkewaygraphicsmielkewaygraphics Posts: 192Member, Business Ninja ✭✭✭
    MKral said:

Any issues leaving mixing lids like that on your cans for storage? Meaning any drying issues of the paint?
    Thanks,

@WileECoyote sometimes we put the can upside down in storage. (make sure the lid is tight) We were told this buy an old school guy that came into the shop. Does this actually help with paint drying out? I never had an issue yet but figured what the heck....

MKral said:

Thanks,

@WileECoyote sometimes we put the can upside down in storage. (make sure the lid is tight) We were told this buy an old school guy that came into the shop. Does this actually help with paint drying out? I never had an issue yet but figured what the heck....
    Would make sense... Would also be a good way to detect if your lid is sealing 100%... :lol:
  • WileECoyoteWileECoyote Posts: 6,537Member, Moderator, Business Ninja El Moderator
    Old systems (70's and 80's) were apparently prone to build up around the nozzle, and other issues that DID cause drying. I would never say that it would hurt... but you shouldn't have too.