Suggestions for where to buy Products

datarecalldatarecall Posts: 3Member
Hey Guys,

Really new to dipping was wondering if you guys have suggestions on the types of products to buy.

From all the reading I have been doing

1) Type of primer??
2) Type of activator??
3) The best place to get film from??
3.5) Is there certain types of film that are more forgiving?
4) Should I be using a certain type of paint for the base color?
5) Best clear coat to use??

Thanks for all your help

Comments

• smedlinsmedlin Posts: 1,829Member, Business Ninja ✭✭✭✭✭
    congrats on deciding to give this a go!

O, and howdy and welcome to the forums!

My honest advice (and I can give it, since you asked :) )

About a year and a half ago, when I first got into dipping (actually, when i was researching into what this all was about..), I came across this website.

I read every single thread that was less than a year old.

Every single one.

Now, some threads are just a "glace" and move on.. "nothing to see here".

But some threads are like.. "wow, knowledge!"

Now, before you go, "What an A$$ hat!", I'm NOT being rude. Because your questions themselves tell us you "don't know what you don't know".

Spend some time reading thru lot's of threads here. A lot of them.

I did. So did others. THEN we was prepared (and able) to ask the right questions.

• norcalfranknorcalfrank Posts: 1,034Member ✭✭✭
    First, do as @smedlin said and read lots. Then when you are ready to buy, look to the fourm sponsors to get you going with materials. They have great customer service and great products. And they are there when you need them.

And welcome to the fourm!
  • Mrbakaysa29Mrbakaysa29 Posts: 69Member ✭✭
    @datarecall listen to @smedlin he is wise.   This forum is full of pros who enjoy helping out guys getting started,  I still have a long way to go but wouldn't be anywhere close to where I am without this site.   Same goes for the products,  keep your money with the forum sponsors and you can't go wrong they are the best in the business.  This process can be insanely frustrating but stick with it because it can also be extremely rewarding!  Best of luck 
  • datarecalldatarecall Posts: 3Member
    edited April 16
    Ok so I think im on the right track @smedlin i tracked down some of your old posts this is what I am thinking.

Film: http://gobigbrain.com (also going to try a couple suppliers off alieexpress to get me lots of film for testing) Any recommendations on sellers? I found these guys that do a lot of business on there: https://www.aliexpress.com/store/all-wholesale-products/735553.html?spm=2114.12010608.0.0.6aec32a05qQFo4

Activator: Hydrovator

Base/Primer: I think im going to go with OHW (https://www.ohwpaint.com/collections/ohw-by-color)

Clear: This is one thing i have not been able to track down yet is a forgiving clear. (dead flat for matte finish) but what about a gloss finish
  • Mrbakaysa29Mrbakaysa29 Posts: 69Member ✭✭
    @datarecall @onehitwonder makes a great clear as well as big brain.   Again can't really go wrong with anything from them.   @K2Concepts has several different activators on the store including k2brew and k2 super brew.   You'll find that there isn't one catch all activator,  each film depending on the ink,  the thickness of the pva and the fixative all react differently.   If you see posts by @studebaker or @WileECoyote they are another couple guys that really can speak to the more in depth parts of what can make a film react the way it does.   Best of luck man.  You've made the crucial first step in coming to this forum for info though.   Best place to learn is training the second  best is here. 
  • onehitwonderonehitwonder Posts: 2,730Member, Business Ninja ✭✭✭✭✭
    Try our base and clears. We actually design and manufacture our paints for this process, not repackage other paints. We also make our own activator, and will be expanding our line to introduce extremely stretchable (not just flexible) base and clears for upholstery
  • datarecalldatarecall Posts: 3Member
    @onehitwonder when using your paints it was my understanding you do not need a base? or did I read the directions wrong?

@Mrbakaysa29 would it be best to go with the activator the supplier recommends for the film or is there a better way to pick the activator based on thickness and ink like you suggested?
  • loochlooch Posts: 1,706Member ✭✭✭✭✭
    Onehit wonder paint is a paint and primer in one. And get a sample pack from one of the sponsors of the forum and a couple quarts of activator and take notes on what works best with what

will be expanding our line to introduce extremely stretchable (not just flexible) base and clears for upholstery

edited April 16
    @datarecall

Most of us have :"many brands" of the same products.

Every tool for it's purpose, right?

For paint I use nanochem and OHW...depending on the project.

Nanochem sticks to (scuffed) metal. And ABS plastic. And other scuffed paint. And scuffed clear coat. Everything else you have to use a primer first.

(meaning, for tumblers, I use nanochem. Or.. if I freaking messed up so bad I'm just repainting.. I can use nanochem)

OHW will stick to almost everything under the sun (as long as it's prepped).

Why have both in shop? By itself, OHW is more expensive. But I like not having to mix primers, paint twice, and clean up twice. So, I use nanochem where I can. And if you also have to add the cost of the primer into the equation??

--------

Clear come almost exclusivity from BB. I've got 5 or 6 of their clears in the shop. Again.. project depending.

I've used many gallons of their express clear. It's my "go to" product. Why? Cause it flashes almost instantly. You can spray it, and 30 minutes later hand it off to the client. (can only use it on medium and small size projects)

But, I also have BBs soft touch (which is really cool on leather print film), dead flat clear and glamour gloss. Glamour gloss has been my "go to" for larger projects (motorcycles/4-wheelers/etc).

Last week I picked up BB's Graffiti Clear, and will be giving it a try probably tomorrow.

--------

95% of my film comes from BB. But.. to be fair, not only did I do my initial training there, they are only about 5 hour drive away. So, any time i order stuff from them, it's comes to my shop really quick.

the other 5% of film is bulk order direct from China.

-----

Activators? Again, pick the took for the job. Pick the activator for the film. I keep in stock Hydrovator and Super Brew. And switch back and forth.
  • WileECoyoteWileECoyote Posts: 6,306Member, Moderator, Business Ninja El Moderator
    @smedlin You wouldn't believe this stuff. JJ showed a few of us a sample and it stretches like silly putty... its insane, cause it goes right back to its shape and looks perfect.
  • PagesHydroDippingPagesHydroDipping Posts: 505Member ✭✭✭
    Thats crazy. I gotta see this. @onehitwonder you should post a video for us to see
  • 3monkeyshydrodip3monkeyshydrodip Posts: 839Member, Business Ninja ✭✭✭✭
    Walmart everything you need for the process is at your local Walmart. Not only the best in quality but the best prices. 
  • K2ConceptsK2Concepts Posts: 13,240Administrator El Jefe

Walmart everything you need for the process is at your local Walmart. Not only the best in quality but the best prices. 

• SreynoldsSreynolds Posts: 1,368Member ✭✭✭✭
    I must agree with @3monkeyshydrodip ..........

They just had a sale on silicon and armor all the other day , so I resealed and shined up my tank.... B)
  • 3monkeyshydrodip3monkeyshydrodip Posts: 839Member, Business Ninja ✭✭✭✭
    They be have'n paint and stuff an those thingys for yo shop bathroom. 
  • mielkewaygraphicsmielkewaygraphics Posts: 182Member, Business Ninja ✭✭✭
    If you like cleaning your paint guns with water, and dipping like a pro, then try out Hydro Solutions Water Borne Paints . We carry our own Activator to accommodate. You've got tons of options. Get your hydro dipping groove started at www.mielkewaycoatings.com

Good Luck dipping... Have fun!