Advice on Corvette Engine Bay — K2Forums.com

Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Advice on Corvette Engine Bay

smedlinsmedlin Posts: 1,741Member, Business Ninja ✭✭✭✭✭

Background Story

One of my really good friends owns a construction company.

Really great guy, but spends money left and right...but.. his hard yearned money, his right to spend how he (and his wife) want to spend it.

He has lot's of "guy toys". He buys things, then when he gets bored, sells them.

Six or Seven months ago, he bought a 95 Vet

(and almost immediately broke the rear diff, and spent 12K on an upgraded new one!!)

Anyways, he keeps saying he is going to tear the engine down and bring me parts to do in carbon fiber. But just hasn't gotten around to it.

Until now....

Fire

So, he had a wire that was exposed (some mod the previous owner did), and it sparked and started a fire. Was put out quickly, but melted some plastic and the main harness.

So, now he's HAVING to pull stuff...

He's already gotten a lot of the "stuff" in, and has started to rebuild it. He's going to replace the hood and have everything repainted.

So, while he's doing this.. perfect time to dip.

A) Fuse box cover
B ) Valve Covers (one on each side)
C) Intake
D) Turbo pipe
E) Various plastic containers which melted.

While he was ordering things, he picked up a radiator cover "thingy"

I've got everything in my shop cept E, the various plastic containers.

Which Direction to Dip
IceMaster said:

Well I guess I did that just right then because I went from left to right (towards driver).... Seen some pretty horrible CF dips while looking at photos........lol

I've been looking at a lot of engine bay pictures also. Trying to figure out what to do.

And need some input/advice

I'm thinking about the following.

A) Radiator cover, fuse box cover, various plastic containers - Make the lines "left to right", like this "////"

B ) Not sure about the two valve covers. Should I do both left to right? Or make them point in towards the intake? Like this "/|\" (does that make sense?) Would that look good or bad?

C) Yea, the intake is going to be difficult I think

I did tell him we should break up the "top" of the intake with a design. Something like the Corvette Flag and "Corvette" in red running down the middle.

I think this will be 3 dips.

The top part down to where the line indicated by the arrow. Then the 2 sides.

So, I'm thinking the 2 sides will flow same direction as the valve covers (which are right below this, on each side).

I don't know which direction to run the lines on the top part. I think it may look better with the lines running straight instead of an angle.

Straight up and down? But keep in mind we are going to put letters that go down the middle. Would that look weird?

D) Got's no clue on the turbo pipe thingy. Maybe do a 50-50 dip with each side direction matching the value covers?

----

So (for those that actually read the entire post), I THINK I have a solid game plan.. but don't know which direction to do the top of the intake, and unsure about the big pipe...

Comments

• PagesHydroDippingPagesHydroDipping Posts: 448Member ✭✭✭
    When i asked about tjis a few months ago jim and a few people suggested that you run the pattern i guess you would say away from one another/\ amd then the stuff in the middle you just pick one of the 2. That part being a personal preference
    So A and B would run the same direction E would be opposite and then C and D you would pick one of the two directions and follow it. C and D being the same
  • 3monkeyshydrodip3monkeyshydrodip Posts: 829Member, Business Ninja ✭✭✭
    Talk him out of carbon fiber for another pattern lol and run it facing the front. Problem solved!
  • smedlinsmedlin Posts: 1,741Member, Business Ninja ✭✭✭✭✭

Talk him out of carbon fiber for another pattern lol and run it facing the front. Problem solved!

i wish.. personally, I think Carbon is way over done. But.. ti's what he wants.

So A and B would run the same direction E would be opposite and then C and D you would pick one of the two directions and follow it. C and D being the same

I can see that.. would make sense.

What about F? (the radiator cover, in the other picture)
  • norcalfranknorcalfrank Posts: 1,007Member ✭✭✭
    Looks like it's a lot of work. Looking forward to seeing it when done. Don't think that's a 95 Corvette though... :)
    If your gonna do it like that then i guess you would do it the same as C and D. Since they are all in the middle.
  • K2ConceptsK2Concepts Posts: 13,066Administrator El Jefe
    I'll take "Questions for which there is no right answer" for $500 Alex...

edited May 7

Not liking this piece :(

Attempted one of the sides yesterday.

it was..bad.
    Dip the top and paint the rest black...

Dip the top and paint the rest black...

Doing the very last piece,  and a decal (not pictured) did not take..lifted a bit. Had to remove it..

Now I gotta wait, apply a new decal..and freaking re-clear.

Always seems like at the very very end of the very last part, something goes wrong...

• DeviousDipsDeviousDips Posts: 1,582Member ✭✭✭✭
    Looks awesome tho
  • ShannonShannon Posts: 152Member ✭✭✭
    I agree, it does look awesome so far

I've actually done 5 items so far. Just never posted a pic of them. Kind of waiting. He wants to bring more.

@smedlin how did you go with that part? Looks like it would have been a tricky one. Looks great by the way
    Shannon said:

@smedlin how did you go with that part? Looks like it would have been a tricky one. Looks great by the way

The tube? It's actually a double dip.
    @smedlin now that you’ve said that I can where the films meet. Prior though, I never noticed. Very clever.
    Looking good @smedlin
  • loochlooch Posts: 1,672Member ✭✭✭✭✭
    Nice job 
  • LibertymanLibertyman Posts: 940Member, Business Ninja ✭✭✭✭
    Gettin there looks good
    Never did post the completed pics of the intake.

• PanamaCityHydroPanamaCityHydro Posts: 554Member ✭✭✭
    @smedlin looks fantastic, well done
    WOW that’s awesome mate
    edited July 8
    anybody take a gander at what type of plastic these might be?

Brake fluid and anti-freeze reservoir.

(yes, the client knows the risk of chemicals eating the paint)

i worry about flame treating the brake fluid reservoir. I don't want to warp it.

i worry about not flame treating it.

A casual search online didn't show anything like this ever being dipped.

I'm not dipping the caps, just the top part of each object.

yes, I know the black one is dimpled and will have to be dealt with...

the question is.. what do you y'all think the prep on these probably are...?

( @MidOhioHydrographics , @WileECoyote @K2Concepts )

And no.. there is no plastic identifier anywhere on either of them.
    @smedlin Well...I guess the best option if you did not flame treat it would be to as least get a profile on it by putting it into the sand blast cabinet. Tape off the bottom and get a nice blasted profile and then use some epoxy primer. The paint and dip as usual...be careful as most epoxy primers only have a 3 day window for painting them...after that ya got a sand them before applying paint.
    thanks @K2Concepts

I think I'll flame treat them.. just lightly anyways.

I'd already decided i was going to blast and epoxy prime.

(I'm using that Garnet now btw..)
  • WileECoyoteWileECoyote Posts: 6,164Member, Moderator, Business Ninja El Moderator
    I am guessing the brake fluid reservoir is hdpe just for chemical resistance

I am guessing the brake fluid reservoir is hdpe just for chemical resistance

Yea, I'm going to go ahead and blast, flame treat, and prime.
    Those parts turned out pretty good...