Removing helmet lining — K2Forums.com

Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Removing helmet lining

ShannonShannon Posts: 78Member ✭✭
hey guys I was wondering when dipping motorbike helmets do you remove the inner linings? Or cover them up in some way? Thanks

Comments

• PagesHydroDippingPagesHydroDipping Posts: 324Member ✭✭✭
    We remove them. A lot of little pieces. Take a bunch of pictures
  • WileECoyoteWileECoyote Posts: 5,857Member, Moderator, Business Ninja El Moderator
    And be careful is you remove adhered components. You can always glue them back in, but if you use a solvent based adhesive, it can eat the Styrofoam.
  • TroubleTrouble Posts: 285Member ✭✭✭
    I remove parts that snap in. Most high end helmets have this feature. I do not remove anything glued in. I mask with press and seal and tape
  • 3monkeyshydrodip3monkeyshydrodip Posts: 811Member, Business Ninja ✭✭✭
    We only remove snapped in pieces also, not to mention if you remove the glued in parts it is no longer dot approved.
  • smedlinsmedlin Posts: 1,454Member, Business Ninja ✭✭✭✭

We only remove snapped in pieces also, not to mention if you remove the glued in parts it is no longer dot approved.

What? Removing the glued in liner voids the DOT approval??
  • PagesHydroDippingPagesHydroDipping Posts: 324Member ✭✭✭
    That sounds crazy. I wouldn't doubt it but who would even know
  • ShannonShannon Posts: 78Member ✭✭
    Thanks guys, yes I was a little concerned about removing the styrofoam. I think I might just leave that and tape and cover it.
  • sosatonysosatony Posts: 31Member
    Hi I’m new here I’m from Texas to be exact in Odessa. Any I read the comment on the dot and though I’d share a story with ya. Anyway a while back my little brother that works in the oil fild dipped his hard hat and he took all the stickers off well he had to buy a new one because apparently it doesn’t only void the dot but also the helmet will not be as strong!!! Go figure!!
  • TroubleTrouble Posts: 285Member ✭✭✭
    OSHA regulates Hardhat DOT motorcycle helmets. Technically altering either in any way will void their certifications 
  • WileECoyoteWileECoyote Posts: 5,857Member, Moderator, Business Ninja El Moderator
    Using solvent on the helmet voids it, altering it really any way voids it... You guys have to understand, that approval is ONLY for the exact way it was produced. You just don't mess with safety gear... 
  • K2ConceptsK2Concepts Posts: 12,761Administrator El Jefe
    Yea but...it's sooo much fun to mess with "The Man"...