Best Way to touch up non black colors?

I have a pistol frame dipped with TWN #741 One Nation Vintage that has some missed spots in the frame grooves. What's the best way to get a color match for the blue and red inks?

Comments

• MidOhioHydrographicsMidOhioHydrographics Posts: 9,733Member, Moderator, Business Ninja El Moderator
    Paints w a brush or airbrush. Mix to match the color. It takes practice. Or use the film itself and dab a small Amount of activator on it. Swirl it around until it’s a paint consistency and dab it on. Don’t paint with it. Dab it, let it dry, then add mode if needs s
  • WileECoyoteWileECoyote Posts: 6,765Member, Moderator, Business Ninja El Moderator
    Jim goes over this in training, and may have a video posted here about it as well.
  • smedlinsmedlin Posts: 2,035Member, Business Ninja ✭✭✭✭✭
    I have an airbrush, but I find I seldom use it.

Like MidOhio said, mix up some of colors to get the correct color, and use a brush.

In the picture below, I had the same problem with the textured grip. I simply took a very fine paint brush, the paints I have just for touch-up, and got really close to matching everything. Then just dabbed away until it was done. Took awhile, but it's doable.

• DeviousDipsDeviousDips Posts: 1,821Member ✭✭✭✭✭
    If your trying to match the color and not good at mixing paints best would be to cut off a pc of the film and use activator on a brush to grab the color ink used to print it. That's just my opinion  I do that if i dont think I can match it good enough to hide
  • RoosterRooster Posts: 3Member

If your trying to match the color and not good at mixing paints best would be to cut off a pc of the film and use activator on a brush to grab the color ink used to print it. That's just my opinion  I do that if i dont think I can match it good enough to hide

I have tried this a couple times, but I'm doing something wrong. I'm using Superbrew, I'll swirl some on with one brush and then take another brush and try to pick up the color, it grabs some but never enough to actually re-apply to part.

Then I end up washing out the good dip with the activator on the brush...

So add a bit of activator, swirl and then wait or add a bit of activator, wait and then swirl?
  • MidOhioHydrographicsMidOhioHydrographics Posts: 9,733Member, Moderator, Business Ninja El Moderator
    I wet my brush with a bit of activator and smear it all over an area of the film where the correct color is. Let it sit for a bit to loosen the ink, then wet my brush just a bit and swirl the ink into a thick puddle. Should be very dense in color. If it's watered down, you put too much activator. Then dry your brush, and pick up that puddle and just dab into the spot. Don't paint. Only do it once or twice in one area, then stop and let it dry. If you put too much activator onto the finished part, it will do as you say and lift the good dip.
  • WileECoyoteWileECoyote Posts: 6,765Member, Moderator, Business Ninja El Moderator
    @K2Concepts says "You are just preventing drawing attention to the white spot, just a little color does the trick, don't go crazy"
  • smedlinsmedlin Posts: 2,035Member, Business Ninja ✭✭✭✭✭

@K2Concepts says "You are just preventing drawing attention to the white spot, just a little color does the trick, don't go crazy"

It took me a LONG time to come to terms with this....but it's true
  • pblizpbliz Posts: 193Member ✭✭✭
    Touch ups are tricky trying to match paint colours, which I had a hard time with. Like @MidOhioHydrographics mentioned activator on film with brush has worked for me. Another option you may try is take the colour into a paint store and get the colour swatch, an automotive paint shop should be able to mix up a matching water based paint. This would only apply if your using the same film regularly and want a quick fix for minor touch ups. I do this for TWN multi cam films.
  • RoosterRooster Posts: 3Member
    I want to take a minute and thank everyone for taking the time to read and comment. I've been lurking for a while, and now I'm dipping full-time so I'm sure I'll be posting much more as I come across issues.

Thanks again for all the responses and welcoming me to the family.