Disastrous mistake

So apparently you aren’t supposed to leave clear coat in your clear gun overnight cause now it’s all dried up and our gun won’t spray. I wouldn’t be so upset if it was just a husky gun but it’s an iwata air gunsa so.... how in the world do we get the dried up clear out of our gun or are we completely screwed?? 

Comments

• DeviousDipsDeviousDips Posts: 1,711Member ✭✭✭✭
    You can clean it out but it sucks. Acetone, little picks and knife 
  • AngelaDeaton1994AngelaDeaton1994 Posts: 17Member
    Little picks? Torch tip cleaner will work? I don’t even want to ask what the knife is for
  • WileECoyoteWileECoyote Posts: 6,533Member, Moderator, Business Ninja El Moderator
    edited April 10
    You can use anything that can get in the orifices but DON'T scratch anything... Especially the fluid tip, or air passages. Acetone should soften the clear, but if there are any rubber gaskets they might swell and will be shot, so take them out. And don't accidentally wash any clear deeper down the airpassages, as it will resolidify and flake off later and clog the tip.
  • K2ConceptsK2Concepts Posts: 13,444Administrator El Jefe
    And for goodness sakes do NOT soak the gun overnight...you will ruin the seals...acetone squirt bottle and some brushes...we get ours from Harbor Freight in the air brush section...

It's not a disaster...hell I think we all have done it...or will do it again...lol...
  • AngelaDeaton1994AngelaDeaton1994 Posts: 17Member
    We got the gun clean, thanks to Jim’s video you are truly a lifesaver @K2Concepts!! It was a long process but we got it good as new! That’s a mistake we will never make again (hopefully!) 
  • mielkewaygraphicsmielkewaygraphics Posts: 192Member, Business Ninja ✭✭✭

And for goodness sakes do NOT soak the gun overnight...you will ruin the seals...acetone squirt bottle and some brushes...we get ours from Harbor Freight in the air brush section...

It's not a disaster...hell I think we all have done it...or will do it again...lol...

Done that before... well, me???? Never.... Well maybe that one time. :)
  • smedlinsmedlin Posts: 1,917Member, Business Ninja ✭✭✭✭✭
    I've never done that.. but I have TOTALLY taken a $500 gun apart, then didn't put it back together right.

Ask @K2Concepts about that one sometime....
  • SkinEDippinSkinEDippin Posts: 81Member ✭✭
    I've done that several times with both SATA and IWATA paint guns soak them overnight, then give them a good thorough scrubbing the next morning at work, never had an issue, done it at least 20 times, some brand of guns can take it and some cant. I've was warned by my paint reps about doing this but I wasn't the only painter in the shop doing it either. Also, buy Naked Gun spray gun paint remover, in the aerosol can works awesome. Its the same chemical as the Naked Gun paint gun washer solvent used in paint gun washers. Some times when people use your stuff without asking and then don't clean the guns thoroughly it doesn't leave you many options.
  • WileECoyoteWileECoyote Posts: 6,533Member, Moderator, Business Ninja El Moderator
    Our automatic gun wash station got a plugged drain, and backed paint laden solvent into the air passages of one of our BRAND NEW, $1,500.00 Ransburg R70 Vector guns. I knew the paint was in there clogging our air passages, but couldn't get it out around all the corners. Called the distributor with my plan to drill out the 2 epoxied ports at the back of the gun (I can just rethread them and plug them again after... "Man those guys are stupid for not thinking of this before!"). i got it set up in a Bridgeport, held nice and stable, Got the drill bit line up at just the right angle, SLOWLY started drilling into the epoxy and everything is going well... till something snags the bit. I stop instantly, remove the bit, and the whole electrostatic assembly wire gets yanked right out with the bit it wound around.

I hung that otherwise perfect looking gun on the wall, cause it was too expensive to throw away...

Also, buy Naked Gun spray gun paint remover, in the aerosol can works awesome. Its the same chemical as the Naked Gun paint gun washer solvent used in paint gun washers.

I've never heard of that stuff. It's got great reviews. But.. how is it different/better than acetone, cause it sure is expensive. Specially when you also have to have it shipped.
  • MidOhioHydrographicsMidOhioHydrographics Posts: 9,472Member, Moderator, Business Ninja El Moderator
    I've found that certain gun wash solvents work better than acetone. Acetone flashes off very quick and can leave dry paint. Some slower evaporating solvents help keep the solvent on the gun and working as you clean, if that makes sense.
    Acetone also becomes weaker the longer you keep it. It absorbs moisture from the air and dilutes itself. Most garage dippers dont use their chemicals fast enough to stay as effective. Acetone is less of a carcinogen than MEK, and it is exempt from VOC tracking, that is why companies use it... not because its the best.
  • norcalfranknorcalfrank Posts: 1,053Member ✭✭✭
    smedlin said:

Also, buy Naked Gun spray gun paint remover, in the aerosol can works awesome. Its the same chemical as the Naked Gun paint gun washer solvent used in paint gun washers.

I've never heard of that stuff. It's got great reviews. But.. how is it different/better than acetone, cause it sure is expensive. Specially when you also have to have it shipped.
    You can buy it or order it at your local parts store or paint store. I just got some at O'reilly Auto Parts. Might be Checker Auto Parts in your area.
    smedlin said:

@smedlin Thought you watched my videos?...

@K2Concepts, I watched it.. but a long long time ago.

Looks like I needed to watch it again.

Umm.. how often do you lube your paint guns??
    smedlin said:

@K2Concepts, I watched it.. but a long long time ago.

Looks like I needed to watch it again.

Umm.. how often do you lube your paint guns??

But to answer the question? I lube them every time we clean them...which is every time we use them...
  • SkinEDippinSkinEDippin Posts: 81Member ✭✭
    @smedlin, any paint store should carry the naked gun solvents, in an aerosol and/or in a 5 gallon containers, I use the aerosol for the final wipe down after clear coating. I've used the 5 gallon jugs for years in gun washers keeps the guns very clean, and as long as you rinse out your gun first and not put in a filthy gun into it, it lasts a long time as well. Believe it or not Chip Foose is the one that told me about this stuff in the aerosol can. Lucky me had him show up at the last body shop I worked at for half a day, he's a super nice guy down to earth good guy to go have a beer with! And he even sketched out a 65 impala for me on a T-shirt for me, cool guy

But to answer the question? I lube them every time we clean them...which is every time we use them...

thank you.

I ordered the Aerosol Naked Gun and some of the spray gun lube.

@smedlin Make sure to wear some 7mill gloves when cleaning those things...