AR Build and Dip

smedlinsmedlin Posts: 1,901Member, Business Ninja ✭✭✭✭✭
Now that I have done my first rifle stock, my next (self) project is the my AR build I'm currently doing.

(And a big thanks to y'all who gave advice on the rifle stock dip. Learned a lot while doing it.)

So, I'm going to make this thread so I can ask questions and opinions.

I flip flop back and forth on what film to use, but I will probably pick up some of BB's Graffiti Gloss Clear.

According to Dinette, "normal" clear has a hardness rating of "3H". Cerakote is a "9H".

Their Graffiti Gloss is a "6H". So twice as hard as normal clear. I know several people use it it for tumblers, and now swear by it.

But then I think maybe I should use a flat clear instead...

Anyways..

I'm going to start with the Magazine(s). Mostly cause it seems the easiest and I have 5 of the 20 round ones like the in picture above.

@K2Concepts has a good video on rolling the mag, and seems pretty straight forward.

Soo.. the next thing will be the hand rail. Which I need to go ahead and start thinking about and planning. Which is the real first question comes in...

How would y'all recommend dong that? I'm thinking about running strips of tape thru the inside to seal off the holes and then rolling it.

Thoughts on that?

Comments

• MidOhioHydrographicsMidOhioHydrographics Posts: 9,444Member, Moderator, Business Ninja El Moderator
    That’s how we do it. Or use foam. The foam pipe insulation works well.
  • loochlooch Posts: 1,743Member ✭✭✭✭✭
    @smedlin ill be following this thread ive got a couple of ars to do myself.  Plus just joined a gun club good to promote my business 
  • smedlinsmedlin Posts: 1,901Member, Business Ninja ✭✭✭✭✭
    @looch , when are you doing your AR's?

(i'm not doing the receives btw. I'm going to keep it legal without an FFL)
  • norcalfranknorcalfrank Posts: 1,048Member ✭✭✭
    @smedlin , if you are doing you own guns, you don't need an ffl. On the AR front rail, I would so like mid Ohio said and use the foam and roll it
  • PagesHydroDippingPagesHydroDipping Posts: 551Member ✭✭✭
    We use a piece of 1-1/4 pvc pipe then we cut some wood strips to slide in the channels where your attachments go. @smedlin hope that makes since

@smedlin , if you are doing you own guns, you don't need an ffl. On the AR front rail, I would so like mid Ohio said and use the foam and roll it

You can do your OWN receivers without an FFL????

I didn't know that
  • DeviousDipsDeviousDips Posts: 1,683Member ✭✭✭✭
    Yes u can do anything to your own guns @smedlin
    In the process of breaking mine back down as well to redo in a different film
    @smedlin as we speak ive got a few on the bench to be dipped. Im just doing the accessories not taking completely appart. I dont have the tools to reassemble 
  • MidOhioHydrographicsMidOhioHydrographics Posts: 9,444Member, Moderator, Business Ninja El Moderator
    Yep. You can do anything to your own firearms. Except make it illegal (like cut the barrel off and make a short barreled rifle or shotgun, obscure a serial number, etc.)

Yep. You can do anything to your own firearms. Except make it illegal (like cut the barrel off and make a short barreled rifle or shotgun, obscure a serial number, etc.)

Soo.. here in Texas, there are no laws about "pre-owned" guns. You can give guns away, you can sell your guns to your friends, whatever you wanna do with them.

What's to keep somebody from "giving" me their guns, me painting it, and then "selling" it to them???
    edited April 9
    @smedlin the ATF. Guys have tried that in the past and it doesn't work. That's how Blake Winters tried to get by and the ATF was at his door. He got his FFL and now is doing very well
    smedlin said:

Soo.. here in Texas, there are no laws about "pre-owned" guns. You can give guns away, you can sell your guns to your friends, whatever you wanna do with them.

What's to keep somebody from "giving" me their guns, me painting it, and then "selling" it to them???
    Get your FFL and be done with it. Its not a big deal to get.
    Yeah that doesn't work. You're "engaged in the business" of modifying firearms. Don't risk it, brother. It's cheap and not very difficult. You'll get an interview where an agent will explain everything, and you have to keep a bound book of acquisition and disposition of any firearm that is on the premises. If it's you're own, just label it as "personal" or log it in/out. Not much of a hassle to prevent a felony. And being in Texas, I think it could be very profitable for you. We have a nearly endless stream of people wanting firearms coated in either Cerakote or Hydro. I get a few emails about it weekly and my only advertising is the website. Here's the form you need:

https://www.atf.gov/firearms/docs/form/form-7-7-cr-application-federal-firearms-license-atf-form-531012531016/download

You need a Type 01. I got a Type 07 so if I ever need to "manufacture" I am able. Remember manufacturing is not just making a gun from scratch. There are more forms annually and ITAR registration if you actually do manufacture. So it's not as simple as just picking one or the other, but it leaves the opportunity if I want to.
    @smedlin never put stuff like that on a open forum your just asking for a visit from the government 
    looch said:

@smedlin never put stuff like that on a open forum your just asking for a visit from the government 

Na, I'd rather get my FFL anyways.
  • SreynoldsSreynolds Posts: 1,392Member ✭✭✭✭
    Go ahead and get the FFL @smedlin , nothing to it. Until then , keep it off social media and such....
  • K2ConceptsK2Concepts Posts: 13,380Administrator El Jefe
    Sreynolds said:

Go ahead and get the FFL @smedlin , nothing to it. Until then , keep it off social media and such....

THIS!!!!!
    @smedlin i think it cost me $200 and took about a month or so start to finish. My meeting with aft agent was a breeze. Basically just went over the laws and what they expect from you and that was it.
    I"m in it for close to $600, but I'm in California. It's not just an FFL for us.
  • WileECoyoteWileECoyote Posts: 6,481Member, Moderator, Business Ninja El Moderator
    ^^^ THIS ^^^
    edited April 12
    Ok.. so.

I did a test run with the pattern/paint choice to see how it will look.

I did one of the magazines today. Rolled it just like Jim did in his video.

I went in to flat though. Had some air lines (more than I should have). Nothing I could not touch up. Easy film to do that with.

Side note, I did take the mag totally apart. So the very bottom was a separate dip. Which.. honestly, I simply made sure I had enough "space" left when I dipped the mag itself, to quickly also dip the bottom in a unused spot.

Post edited by smedlin on
    edited April 12
    For those that do AR type dips, when you dip stuff like rails, and clear coat them how do to they hold up to having attachments placed?

Post edited by smedlin on
  • SreynoldsSreynolds Posts: 1,392Member ✭✭✭✭
    I have done several , haven't had a customer come back complaining yet. Normally on guns ill use cerakotes clear , but also have used a lot of BB's also.

And the clear I told u about on the phone is holding up , just haven't done the bore cleaner test yet.........
    Tape off the section of rail where the attachment go.

Tape off the section of rail where the attachment go.

I could see maybe leaving the Picatinny Rails undone.. but the rest of the rail in your pic is a KeyMod rail, designed to have attachments..
    Thats what i meant tape off the picatinny section. Looks like you have one on top and bottom so just tape off both

Thats what i meant tape off the picatinny section. Looks like you have one on top and bottom so just tape off both

Mine is pretty much just like the one in your picture. Picatinny section on top, with Keymod on the rest. I currently have 2 attachments on the underside.
    We did those for a local ar builder. I am gonna do mine soon but im thinking of going with cerakote on mine. What pattern are you gonna go with ?