My DIY tote tank build

Jcashman8Jcashman8 Posts: 21Member
Hey Everyone!

I am new to the forum and wanted to share what I have done thus far with my build. I have been wanting to get into hydrographics for a while now and decided to build my own tank. I have been gathering many ideas from youtube and here. This forum is a godsend to me! Let me know what you guys think. My troth area needs a little work now that I filled the tank it pulled it away a little. I spray foamed and silicone the gap so Its holding water well right now. The only thing beside that is Im waiting on my heating element. I was going to put a fish tank heater in the recycled water bucket and a bucket heater in the actual dip tank controlled by a Inkbird thermometer controller. Any information or tips would be great!

Thanks,

Jonathan

Comments

• smedlinsmedlin Posts: 1,844Member, Business Ninja ✭✭✭✭✭
    Actually kind of cool looking.

Umm.. silicone?
  • Jcashman8Jcashman8 Posts: 21Member
    I haven't applied it yet but i got dap 100% water proof silicone just to seal the gap. Would you have any other recommendations? @smedlin
  • DeviousDipsDeviousDips Posts: 1,619Member ✭✭✭✭
    Silicone is a big fish eye cause. Make sure it is 100 percent cured not just dry to the touch 
    Ok, Good to know. If I used this I was definitely going to be patient with it and let it sit for at least 72 hours before water touch it. Would you have an alternative you would recommend? Wasn't sure of any other way to seal that. @DeviousDips
  • DeviousDipsDeviousDips Posts: 1,619Member ✭✭✭✭
    @Jcashman8 a non silicone sealant. But you should be ok if it's fully cured.  
    Cool thanks! @DeviousDips
  • airtimegrafixairtimegrafix Posts: 2,144Member ✭✭✭✭
    just a heads up the silicone wont stick the that plastic for long!!
  • norcalfranknorcalfrank Posts: 1,037Member ✭✭✭
    I used automotive seam sealant. Should be non fisheye causing, waterproof, and even paintable.
    Ah ok, thats what i figured @airtimegrafix. that may be best for my situation @norcalfrank since i don't want to have to worry about it later. Thanks guys
  • Wilson94Wilson94 Posts: 1Member
    edited June 26
    Hey I am new to hydrographics and in the process of putting a tote tank together and I came across your build and I found that your build is pretty similar to the one I drew I am just wondering what size pcv did you use? Build sheet on what you used? Is that a driveway drain? Smart idea anyway did you put a filter system inside the drain? Thank you for your time
    I used 1 1/4" pipe off the sum-pump to 45 degree angles to 1 1/4" valves to an inch pipe down to the l into the tank and converted it from 1" - 3/4" for the spray bar. 1 1/4" down to 3/4" for the hose valve. @Wilson94
  • prographixprographix Posts: 10Member
    Tank looks good. The only problem may be how long it will take to heat the water up and maintain temp.