Flame Treating/ Prepping

sonic89sonic89 Posts: 51Member
Hey what’s up guys I had a couple of quick questions about flame treating and prepping that I wanted your opinion on. My first question is, is it ok to just flame treat all plastics. Secondly I wanted to tell you guys my prep process for plastic parts and see what your opinion on it is.
1. Clean with Prep All
2. Flame Treat
3. Scuff the part
4. Clean with Prep All once more
5. Spray OHW base coat. 

Is this a good process or is there something else I could be doing? Thanks in advance everyone. 

Comments

• smedlinsmedlin Posts: 1,790Member, Business Ninja ✭✭✭✭✭
    Scuff then flame
  • sonic89sonic89 Posts: 51Member
    smedlin said:
    Scuff then flame
    Is it ok to flame all plastic pieces?
  • DeviousDipsDeviousDips Posts: 1,611Member ✭✭✭✭
    You don't have to flame all plastics especially abs. I don't believe it would hurt anything except wasting time. Main ones are PE plastics that need flamed. 
  • TbirdTbird Posts: 2Member
    Devious. Does Safety helmets also fall under PE Plastics? I did my first helmet a week ago. Came out very nice. I did however consider to Flame it but never did. Still came our very well.
  • TroubleTrouble Posts: 332Member ✭✭✭
    edited July 19
    If there is no plastic ID on the part I cut a very tiny piece (small like a speck of dust) from a mold line or inconspicuous place and place it in water. If it Floats Flame treat. if it Sinks Scuff it. I would not flame ABS it seem like it had a lower melting point than HDPE. Ask me how I know lol!
  • NotSoFastNotSoFast Posts: 3,207Member, Moderator El Moderator
    Most hard hats in the US are HDPE and need to be flame treated. The rest are usually ABS and don't need to be flame treated. ABS is not chemical resistant like HDPE so are not used in most industrial places like refineries and chemical plants contributing to their rarity in the business.
  • WileECoyoteWileECoyote Posts: 6,233Member, Moderator, Business Ninja El Moderator
    Tbird said:

Devious. Does Safety helmets also fall under PE Plastics? I did my first helmet a week ago. Came out very nice. I did however consider to Flame it but never did. Still came our very well.

If you do an adhesion test on that I am guessing you are going to be shocked at what happens.
  • DeviousDipsDeviousDips Posts: 1,611Member ✭✭✭✭
    @Tbird you can dip to PE without flame treating and it will look like a great hit. Problem is like @WileECoyote said your paint didn't adhere to the part. So one little chip and it's all gonna start coming off or being in the sun your paints gonna lift. It won't hold up in the long run
  • WolfBandit30WolfBandit30 Posts: 23Member
    I've heard that you take denatured alcohol and rub if the paint fades to the rag flame it if not just scuff?! Does that work?!
  • TroubleTrouble Posts: 332Member ✭✭✭
    What brand is it and model I have done just about everyone out there. it should say under the brim.
  • WileECoyoteWileECoyote Posts: 6,233Member, Moderator, Business Ninja El Moderator
    I've heard that you take denatured alcohol and rub if the paint fades to the rag flame it if not just scuff?! Does that work?!
    Nope. Watch Jim's videos, and lots of discussions on the subject.
  • onehitwonderonehitwonder Posts: 2,718Member, Business Ninja ✭✭✭✭✭
    Don’t scuff until AFTER ALL the flame treating is done, or you will scratch oils into the grooves which makes it almost impossible to clean properly
  • K2ConceptsK2Concepts Posts: 13,146Administrator El Jefe

Man, stay off FaceBook...
  • peck1988peck1988 Posts: 31Member
    Jim has a video on this. He does a demastion on a hard hat. He goes over everything you need to know about how to tell what plastic and how to tell if you flame treated it correctly.
  • peck1988peck1988 Posts: 31Member
    This is the link to the video.
  • K2ConceptsK2Concepts Posts: 13,146Administrator El Jefe
    And there ya go...