Weber BBQ top

ShannonShannon Posts: 174Member ✭✭✭
G’Day all, just did this Weber BBQ lid for a mate. Pretty happy with the way it turned out, although I think I need to get some time up with an airbrush kit instead of trying to hand paint.

Comments

• PagesHydroDippingPagesHydroDipping Posts: 512Member ✭✭✭
    How do you think it will hold up to the heat?
  • ShannonShannon Posts: 174Member ✭✭✭
    Everyone on this forum and the guys at my local paint shop said it should be fine. Once my mate gives the BBQ a run for a bit we will check it again and take more photos which I’ll post up here to show the effects if any from the heat.
  • MidOhioHydrographicsMidOhioHydrographics Posts: 9,350Member, Moderator, Business Ninja El Moderator
    Yeah.... I hate to tell you brother but I don’t think that’s gonna last. Once he pre-heats that thing up and it gets about 400? Good chance the clear will start yellowing. Also be careful of the fumes it’ll emit once that paint starts burning. I’m really curious to see how it does. This could be a great test for everyone here! Please let us know the complete coating system you used and how it holds up. Keep us updated!

It really Looks fantastic tho!
  • PagesHydroDippingPagesHydroDipping Posts: 512Member ✭✭✭
    Please do i would like to know how it holds up over time.
    @MidOhioHydrographics thanks mate, I started by taking it back to metal, then applied an etch primer(can’t think of the brand) then a coat of high build primer(DNA custom paints), a couple of base coats of Nuclear yellow(DNA custom paints), dipped and finished with 2 coats of clear(Debeer) waited 2 days have it a wet sand and added and 2 more coats of clear(Debeer)

my understanding from research and asking a lot of a lot of questions is that it should hold up(I use that phase loosely). Considering people are dipping turbo casings etc. This is a test case though for a mate and will definitely post pics once it’s  had some decent heat go through it.
  • MidOhioHydrographicsMidOhioHydrographics Posts: 9,350Member, Moderator, Business Ninja El Moderator
    We usually say 400 degrees is the limit before things start going south. This is a perfect test. Keep us updated! Thanks, Shannon!
  • smedlinsmedlin Posts: 1,844Member, Business Ninja ✭✭✭✭✭
    wow that really does look great!

Like others, I would love to know how it last long term.
  • versuspaintversuspaint Posts: 208Member ✭✭✭
    We paint a lot of engines base clear and they hold up great. But throw an open flame coming out of that grill.... i think you are asking for issues!
    But keep us posted
    @MidOhioHydrographics @smedlin @versuspaint update for you guys. My mate put the bbq back together and we were going to run it to test it out. So I drive over to his house and when I get there he tells me he has turned it on to heat it for. Alarm bells start going off(he is a bull at a gate) I check the bbq, he had taken the hot plate out so the direct heat/flame was hitting the inside of the lid. I looked the the temp and it was 450 Celsius (840 Fahrenheit) I noticed the clear starting to bubble so I turned it off straight away. Let it cool down over a couple of coffees and a lot of name calling and the only damage we could see was the bubbling in the clear. I put the plate back in and turned it back on at 60 Celsius (140 Fahrenheit) for about 30 minutes and it hasn’t had any more bubbles appear in the clear coat. I took two photos, 1 of the top and 1 of of the side where it bubbled. The best thing that came from this is that the clear coat didn’t yellow out.

Oh holy hell! Yeah 840F will certainly mess that up! But it held up MUCH better than I anticipated actually! Thanks for the photos
  • WileECoyoteWileECoyote Posts: 6,311Member, Moderator, Business Ninja El Moderator
    I agree that held up better than I expected at that heat... but 450C is HOT. I have heat sealing elements on machines that run HALF of that... Just for more information's sake, where does the TC take its measurement? is it attached to the lid, right at the top, or is it closer to the burner plate?
    yea, I figured it would have melted off long before it reached that temp.

Maybe redo it and test again :)

Thanks guys, yes it did hold up better then I expected under the circumstances. I will be doing it again and this time I’ll be taking the whole unit and cooking it in here and not letting him do it again.
    @WileECoyote the thermometer is on the front at the top.
  • TrayersSlayersTrayersSlayers Posts: 249Member ✭✭✭
    @liquidconcepts yinz did some grills last year. Any advice for this member?
  • liquidconceptsliquidconcepts Posts: 102Member, Business Ninja ✭✭✭
    @TrayersSlayers we actually cerakoted several batches of grills last year. We haven't ever dipped a grill yet anyways :) Sorry wish I could be of more help in this area. -Brittany
    Well that makes sense. Thank you @liquidconcepts
  • 3monkeyshydrodip3monkeyshydrodip Posts: 839Member, Business Ninja ✭✭✭✭
    What paint and clear does Weber use on the grill from the start? Might solve the problem if you use the same thing and add the dip to the process. Just a thought never did a grill.
  • WileECoyoteWileECoyote Posts: 6,311Member, Moderator, Business Ninja El Moderator
    @3monkeyshydrodip you can get paint all day that will hold up to a higher temp than 400° F... but the print may not. and then again, you are running into untested paint and clear with the process. Not an insurmountable problem for most people who know what they are looking for... But you would have to convince me that the market for dipped grills is HUGE before I start experimenting.

But you would have to convince me that the market for dipped grills is HUGE before I start experimenting.

But boy if it holds up.....o man.

I think one of the biggest problems with this particular Weber is that my friend actually grinded all the original paint off first. I would have preferred to have just scuffed up the protective paint then prime, base coat, dip and clear. I’m looking at some heat safe paint at the moment before I resp this particular Weber again.
    edited March 21
    @3monkeyshydrodip you can get paint all day that will hold up to a higher temp than 400° F... but the print may not. and then again, you are running into untested paint and clear with the process. Not an insurmountable problem for most people who know what they are looking for... But you would have to convince me that the market for dipped grills is HUGE before I start experimenting.
    @Shannon listen to what Trevor is telling you. I made that mistake once. I won't make that mistake again. It doesn't matter what you use as a primer. High temp paint or not. If you put a normal base paint on it. Then the High Temp paint gets over 400 degrees, bye bye base coat, dip, and clear. Sure the High Temp paint under all that will probably hold up just fine.  Just because it is high temp paint, it doesn't have any insulation value my friend. But If you really want to prove everyone wrong. They sell the high temp paint at any Lowe's, home Depot, value home center, or Ace
    Now they do sell a red Grill paint. Maybe try dipping to that and using a cerakote clear. That might hold up if you can get the dip tonstick. But it may also hold up and burn the Pattern out in between the paint and the clear.
    A wise man once said to me just because you can do something doesn't mean you should. And then I dipped the rocking chair any way. Eventually got it. But wasn't worth it. 
    @TrayersSlayers I get what you aren’t saying and others have too. I don’t totally disagree either, ignorant it had burnt the paint or print in the first place I would have called it quits. The thing is though the only damage was to the clear coat because the heat was way to high. With a little more testing it will definitely decide if it is viable or not.
    If I hadn’t seen it I wouldn’t believe it. Hahaha well done
  • K2ConceptsK2Concepts Posts: 13,264Administrator El Jefe
    @smedlin Nice job there brother...normally I don't care for that stuff but that was excellent...

Next time use a glow in the dark paint...now THAT would be wicked...
  • ForsiForsi Posts: 217Member ✭✭✭
    Great information regarding how the grill held up and thanks for the pics too. The original dip and clear look fantastic! Pretty sweet pumpkin too!
  • DeviousDipsDeviousDips Posts: 1,619Member ✭✭✭✭
    I've seen smoker lids dipped. How hot would a smoker get just out of curiosity?
    @DeviousDips I’m not sure about smoker lids, we don’t have a huge following for them here in Australia at the moment. But I have noticed they have become more popular over the last few years.